08-16-2009, 01:15 PM #1

XMp3 and Outside Antenna??

It seems like can't get a 'good' signal with my included Pioneer XMp3 antenna in a southern window. I bought a Delphi repeater thinking another window 20 foot away would allow me a better signal. Both work ok (but weak) for about a day but I noticed it would 'drop' out every now and then at times I'd see 'Loading...' showing in my screen. I used to have a Direct TV antenna that worked several years that uses a similar southern view until I finally went back to cable to get Internet connection.

My question is, is there an outside mountable antenna that would work with my XMp3 to give me full bars? Maybe even connect an outside antenna to the Delphi repeater so I could move my XMp3 and/or boom box (XM) to different locations inside my den? Sometimes I use the XMp3 in the cradle with ear phones while working and sometimes I use the boom box.

If so, can someone suggest and antenna and 50 foot coax connection that would work for this setup?

Any suggestions would help this XM Newbie take full advantage his new XM Radio. I'll have to get my Grandson's to hook this all up for me as I'm not physically able at my age.

Regards,
    BC

Guru
    08-16-2009, 03:33 PM #2
    im surprised you aren't getting a good signal. Mine gets a great signal in a north room going right through the ceiling and the roof. (antenae is on my dresser)

Have you tried using the "signal finder". Its under settings, called antenae aiming.

move the antenae around and up and down to find the best signal with it.

What state do you live in? Make sure you check what the right direction is for your state.

If none of that works make sure the antenae is plugged solidly in and there are no kinks or cracks in the wire. could have a damaged antenae.

My XMP3 works without the home kit, meaning portably through the ceiling and roof without the extra antenae.

08-16-2009, 06:50 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    Have you tried using the "signal finder". Its under settings, called antenae aiming.

move the antenae around and up and down to find the best signal with it.

What state do you live in? Make sure you check what the right direction is for your state.

If none of that works make sure the antenae is plugged solidly in and there are no kinks or cracks in the wire. could have a damaged antenae.
    Answering my question with a question didn't contribute to this topic?? But you're reception level doesn't help with my question abut an outside antenna.

I'm glad yours works fine but if I stand perfectly still and don't move, I get bit's and pieces' of music but it's not solid and fades every now and then. Yes, I've used the aiming meter and at good times I only get one-half bar which shows on the main menu as one or two bars.

Regarding my State, I think SOUTH in Tennessee is the same as SOUTH in Michigan, isn't it? I didn't see anything in the manual telling me to look for my State in order to aim the antenna. Maybe you can clear me up on the definition of South?

I also don't have cracks in the Antenna cable as it's only 2 weeks old. I've used the antenna with the home kit and also the antenna that came with the XM Boom-box and both do about the same.

If I go outside, I get a full 3 bars showing. It could be that my house (built in 1938) has plaster walls with metal screen embedded for the plaster to attached. That could be what is pulling my signal down. That is why I tried the Delphi Repeater thinking it would help my inside signal. But, when using the same antenna that gives me 2-3 bars at best only shows up 1 or less bars with using that repeater when I'm only 10 foot from it.

I donno...

BC
    Last edited by BC4Bama; 08-16-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Guru
    08-17-2009, 05:27 PM #4
    do you really even own an xmp3?

sure, it makes a big difference, if im southwest at 23 degrees angle up and your southeast at 45 degrees angle up.

Quote Originally Posted by BC4Bama View Post
    Answering my question with a question didn't contribute to this topic?? But you're reception level doesn't help with my question abut an outside antenna.
    Asking questions help if you don't provide enough information for someone to help you.

My reception does matter because I have the same product and I get full bars indoors with or without an antenna...why wouldn't you?