Page 1 of 4 123 ...
    08-14-2009, 08:35 PM #1

Why are Dj's allowed to talk on Sirius?

I pay for Sirius to listen to commercial free music. I am sick of DJ's talking for 5 minutes at a time. I just want to hear music. Please tell them to go to FM radio if they want to jabber so much. I don't think we should have to pay to hear them talk. There should be a separate channel for that or something. It is just as bad as commercials. Just for clarification, I don't mean them announcing the next song. I mean them sitting there and literally talking for 5 minutes. Hey, its going on right now again. Yay. They have been doing this for a while on The Pulse.

Enthusiast
    08-15-2009, 01:19 AM #2
    They do not talk for five minutes straight. If they are talking for five minutes straight, your sense of time is completely distorted. I appreciate the "20" seconds they "MAY" spend between each "15" or "16" song set, to comment on something that may have happened during the week.

Example: The Death of LES PAUL.

If you are obviously frustrated in your first post with the amount of talking that is happening, you may want to take your complaining to Sirius Customer Serivice or "COUGH" the NAB. Try again.

08-15-2009, 02:36 AM #3
    Response to Orbital;

Faction has Jason Ellis on for 4 hours daily, and for the majority of his show he talks (with some music occasionally thrown in). Ellis seems to be gathering a growing audience, and his show seems popular.

Deep Tracks/The Spectrum has DJ Bob Dylan talking on his Theme Time Radio Hour. Also on Deep Tracks, Tom Petty DJs on his show.

The Loft has an amazing show where Vin Scelsa's, hosts and DJs Idiot's Delight.

And, so many other programs on various channels have DJs who add to my, and many others, entertainment and musical education.

I will concede though, that Sirius XM Hits1 has a very annoying "Zoo" format in the morning with annoying DJs who talk way too much on that channel. The other day they were taking calls from listeners/subscribers on what their baby's first words that were spoken. I can't take listening to pointless shit like that.

As for The Pulse, my beef with that channel is the limited playlists that they had been playing. I emailed them stating as much and signed up for their channel survey stating that they were playing the same G D songs over and over. There has to be a 1000 or more songs that could play on that channel.
    As for annoying DJs, I just don't agree.

08-15-2009, 06:27 AM #4
    To me, the appeal of Sat Radio has always been about it being "commercial free"....not "DJ free".

Personally I LIKE to have a DJ introduce songs and talk about music. It adds a human element and makes it more interesting.

True, not EVERY DJ is going to appeal to everyone. Some will be better than others depending on who is listening. But to say get rid of ALL DJs is kinda silly to me. DJ's add personality and depth to the radio experience. Besides being entertaining they tend to be KNOWLEDGEABLE about the music being played, and that is very informative.

This kind of "human" element adds a "Soul" to Sat Radio that you just don't get from the likes of Pandora or Slacker.

I do think that SiriusXM should add a "jukebox" like feature on the iphone app where people can create their own radio stations like Pandora....that'd be cool and would only enhance the listening experience. However, I don't think they should change their regular platform by getting rid of DJs.

Getting rid of commercials? Of COURSE...that is WHY people are willing to pay for Sat Radio. But getting rid of DJs? Makes no sense to me. They are as important to me as the music when it comes to what radio is about.

Take them away, and you take away radio's soul. :-)

08-15-2009, 06:34 AM #5
    If your listening at work or at home I would suggest using this instead http://www.slacker.com/ no Dj's and more music than Sirius Fm . In your car i would suggest hooking up the Mp3 player with your own playlists . Works for me and I don't mind not having " soul " with my music delivery system . If you think about it Dj's are cheesy and just a waste of time and money .
    Last edited by fm no more; 08-15-2009 at 06:36 AM.

08-15-2009, 11:51 AM #6

DJ's talk too much...

Hey, I listen almost exclusively to Bluesville and those guys add a lot to the content with interesting facts, history of various artists. They also do a great service in that they, on occasion, tell you where artists are performing. On the other hand, my wife listens to The Blend and those DJ's are a complete waste of my time; spouting nothing but banal bull@#$%...

08-15-2009, 12:25 PM #7
    It was the end of a 12 hour day and I was a little tired. I just got sirius a week ago. Maybe they just let their talking get away from them for a few days.

I definitely exaggerated with the time. It was not 20-30 seconds though, it was at least 2 minutes. I believe they were interviewing someone. It might have been the only interview they did all day, but it just happened to be right when I started listening.

Normally I don't think this would bother me, but I just got sirius to avoid commercials and just hear music and I get off work and start listening to sirius and all I hear is people talking and so I try another music station and all I hear is talking there too.

I am probably over reacting but it was just really frustrating that I paid for the radio to hear music and all I heard was people talking. I am kind of over it already. It must have just been bad timing that day.

08-15-2009, 12:28 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFrankie View Post
    Hey, I listen almost exclusively to Bluesville and those guys add a lot to the content with interesting facts, history of various artists. They also do a great service in that they, on occasion, tell you where artists are performing. On the other hand, my wife listens to The Blend and those DJ's are a complete waste of my time; spouting nothing but banal bull@#$%...
    This is true too. When they start talking about gossip and useless facts unrelated to the music it is irritating. I know the DJ's can get bored and they think we want to hear them talk about random stuff, but we really just want to hear the music. Or at least I do. It is nice to relax and take your mind off things.
    Last edited by Orbital; 08-15-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Guru
    08-15-2009, 03:00 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by fm no more View Post
    If your listening at work or at home I would suggest using this instead http://www.slacker.com/ no Dj's and more music than Sirius Fm . In your car i would suggest hooking up the Mp3 player with your own playlists . Works for me and I don't mind not having " soul " with my music delivery system . If you think about it Dj's are cheesy and just a waste of time and money .
    i had to go one day without my XM at work and i could have throttled the dog when i got home i was in such a bad mood, i tried to use my cd collection, but you know, id heard them already and that sucks ass.

The dj's bring the music together, at first i was put off but then i realized the DJ's on my channels are industry professionals, recording artists and producers, not lame FM type random dj's.

Now one of my favorite shows is Rude Jude on Shade 45 and i sometimes skip through the music on my xmp3 to get to his parts.

08-16-2009, 02:00 AM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbital View Post
    This is true too. When they start talking about gossip and useless facts unrelated to the music it is irritating. I know the DJ's can get bored and they think we want to hear them talk about random stuff, but we really just want to hear the music. Or at least I do. It is nice to relax and take your mind off things.
    Welcome Orbital!

Good to see you posting on Sirius Buzz!

Now me, I'm all about gossip and useless facts.

Julie

Page 1 of 4 123 ...