Page 2 of 4 1234
    08-12-2009, 02:29 PM #11
    [QUOTE=Sirius Roadkill;46951]Funny . . I see everybody focuses purely on "sub losses"

Hi SRK,

If you will view my post above there is no mention of sub losses. I don't think it is a major concern. And as you said, I don't believe he is going anywhere.

No where to go. Besides his personality, he thrives in the limelight.

Have a good day,

Julie

Mentor
    08-12-2009, 02:58 PM #12
    [QUOTE=julietoo;46954]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    Funny . . I see everybody focuses purely on "sub losses"

Hi SRK,

If you will view my post above there is no mention of sub losses. I don't think it is a major concern. And as you said, I don't believe he is going anywhere.

No where to go. Besides his personality, he thrives in the limelight.

Have a good day,

Julie
    True Julietwo!

What I mean to say is . . when people talk about the financial impact of his leaving, they typically speak only in terms of "subscriber losses" but fail to account for the loss in ad revenue which would also result . . double-whammy!

But I agree that he will re-up well before the expiration of his current contract . .

"It's a two-way street" as Pat Cooper said!

Guru
    08-12-2009, 04:05 PM #13
    [QUOTE=Sirius Roadkill;46961]
    Quote Originally Posted by julietoo View Post

True Julietwo!

What I mean to say is . . when people talk about the financial impact of his leaving, they typically speak only in terms of "subscriber losses" but fail to account for the loss in ad revenue which would also result . . double-whammy!

But I agree that he will re-up well before the expiration of his current contract . .

"It's a two-way street" as Pat Cooper said!

Sirius Roadkill, Thats because you only need 300,000 subs to leave to make up almost all of the ad revenue that SIRI had. The point is ad revenue is light to say the least and not even all of that (just much) is from the stern show.

08-20-2009, 09:18 PM #14
    personally i've never listened to 5 seconds of the howard stern show and can't imagine that his show has that big of an effect on subscribership at this point. i think his leaving would result in very marginal sub losses.....

of course that's just my opinion....i could be wrong.

09-09-2009, 03:41 AM #15
    the 1 thing Sirius/XM needs to do to attract more subs is open the playlist more on the pop/rock stations. I listen to the 70's and 80's stations a lot and the other day I heard ''American Pie'' 2 times in about a 6 hour period.

09-14-2009, 11:13 AM #16
    Quote Originally Posted by phatphriar View Post
    I agree that 60% is a high number but before Howard signed, Sirius has about 500000 listener to XMs 4000000. By the time it was all said and done Sirius had taken over XM and now has 18000000 subs. If you say that Howard only brings in 10% that would be 1.8 mil subs. That kind of loss would have a pretty big impact on sat radio right? I have to disagree that Howard has nowhere to go. If he has the 1.8 mill and he starts broadcasting on-line for $5 a month that would be $9mil a month. I am not trying to jock Howard but I think it might be short sighted not to think that his departure could have an effect on subs and ultimately Sirius stock.
    There is no way Howard Stern could get 1.8 million to pay $5 a month for an internet stream/podcast. No way, no how. He can't even get more than 500,000 to pay $4 a month for all of his channels and the NFL and College Sports, etc. Stern could start an online show, and if he does, he would probably make it free and try to sell advertising. But the fact is, with a radio show, you have to be in the car- and the technology is getting there for in car internet, but its not commercially feasible yet.

Stern's only other choice, outside of Sirius, is to return to terrestrial radio. That is it. And I don't think he will do that. Shorter contract, less days, possibly a later start, less money. Write it down he will return to Sirius.

11-17-2009, 05:06 PM #17

I love Sirius but it is doomed regardless

I am a pre-Stern Sirius guy (02-2004), I even own a lot of Sirius stock. But should Stern leave Sirius I will cancel.

The things I bought Sirius for in 2004 no longer apply. I can get download podcasts that are every bit as good, some better than the respective channels on Sirius.

A satellite based network is far too expensive to maintain. Currently 4G and future 5G mobile networks will support the ability to transmit ANY internet content via your mobile phone. And 40 foot cell towers that already exist are much cheaper than billion dollar satellites 22,000 miles above the Earth.

Stern will take at least 25% of Sirius listeners with him. ratings show that over half of Sirius subscribers listen to nothing but the Stern channels. why would those people continue to pay for content that today they don't even listen to. That is absurd reasoning.

Five years from now, when you get to your car, you will connect your cell phone to your car radio. You will select which channel to listen to (several mobile phone networks have that service TODAY) and you will drive while listening to free music AND charging your cell phone.

The satellite "model" will live on, but instead of satellites 22,000 miles above the Earth, it will be transmitted via 40 foot cell phone towers. Same channel variety, coast-to-coast, same clarity.

I love Sirius, and it served a purpose, but the Sirius legacy will end up being a relatively brief one.

11-17-2009, 06:55 PM #18
    We heard shit like this 3 years ago, and we'll be hearing it again 3 years from now, when Sirius is profitable and Stern is still with them. Your type of posts no longer have any effect in forums like these. Just so you know. Is that you Big Ben?
    Last edited by S50Fan; 11-17-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Enthusiast
    11-19-2009, 10:30 PM #19
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyKenny View Post
    I am a pre-Stern Sirius guy (02-2004), I even own a lot of Sirius stock. But should Stern leave Sirius I will cancel.

The things I bought Sirius for in 2004 no longer apply. I can get download podcasts that are every bit as good, some better than the respective channels on Sirius.

A satellite based network is far too expensive to maintain. Currently 4G and future 5G mobile networks will support the ability to transmit ANY internet content via your mobile phone. And 40 foot cell towers that already exist are much cheaper than billion dollar satellites 22,000 miles above the Earth.

Stern will take at least 25% of Sirius listeners with him. ratings show that over half of Sirius subscribers listen to nothing but the Stern channels. why would those people continue to pay for content that today they don't even listen to. That is absurd reasoning.

Five years from now, when you get to your car, you will connect your cell phone to your car radio. You will select which channel to listen to (several mobile phone networks have that service TODAY) and you will drive while listening to free music AND charging your cell phone.

The satellite "model" will live on, but instead of satellites 22,000 miles above the Earth, it will be transmitted via 40 foot cell phone towers. Same channel variety, coast-to-coast, same clarity.

I love Sirius, and it served a purpose, but the Sirius legacy will end up being a relatively brief one.
    ----------------------------------------
    It can be part of the revolution. But it appears uninterested. Howard Stern could do some reinventing of his own self as well. He is well on his way to being the one hit wonder. Just ask kids my kids age. Howard Who???????? CCL. couldn't care less. Good luck to you.

11-21-2009, 01:26 PM #20
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyKenny View Post

Please post where you are getting your data that proves over 50% of Sirius subscribers listen to nothing but the stern channels.

vaporgold

Page 2 of 4 1234