Page 1 of 2 12
    11-30-2009, 08:33 PM #1

FM transmitter

Hello. I could really use some expert information. I have been a Sirius subscriber since Howard Stern first hit the Sirius air. I bought an Xact Streamjockey receiver. I could put any radio in the house on 88.1 and get the Sirius broadcast. Fast forward to recent times and my Xact model (the 3rd by now) was basically "scotchtaped" together-couldn't change channels, power on, etc. I decided to treat myself to an upgrade. I finally decided on the boombox and the Stratus 6. Wonderful-with one exception. The feature that I use as much as the Sirius itself ~ getting the broadcast on any radio in the house ~ was not happening. Long story longer, after several trips back to the store and research time, I learned that the reason this is happening is because the fm transmitter has been significantly reduced in power in the newer radios. This Stratus 6, in fact, would not even open the "fm settings" category. So here is where the experts could enlighten me. I would be just as happy getting an earlier model but could anyone tell me with certainty which models still have the fm transmitter that allows the signal to be picked up by all the home radios? Thanks so much in advance.

Head Honcho
    12-01-2009, 12:53 AM #2
    Only the older models. It was mandated that the transmitters be less powerful. I think anything released after the starmate 3 or sportster 3 is definitely reduced power while even some of the older later run sportster 3's have the reduced transmitters.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

12-01-2009, 08:45 AM #3

Thanks

Thank you, Charles. It is helpful to have something definitive ~ particulary when dealing with a subscription process and having to interact with and pay Sirius when changing out hardware.

12-01-2009, 08:52 AM #4

Receiver-Boombox question

Charles ~ I see that the Sirius boombox I purchase supports the Starmate 3. Would using the boombox in any way affect the fm transmission of that model or is solely in the receiver design itself? Thanks@

Enthusiast
    12-01-2009, 01:55 PM #5
    The starmate 3 also has a weak FM transmitter. You could return all of the product you have and go on Ebay or craigslist and buy someone used items that have a strong fm trans. Or you could go with an external FM transmitter that broadcasts from any audio device on an open FM station. We carry such a product at TSS Radio and have had a huge success with it. Here is a link to what I am talking about: http://www.tss-radio.com/whole-house...on-p-4505.html

Not only will this work with your sirius, but any audio device that has a headphone jack. You can even use it with an iPod!

12-01-2009, 02:14 PM #6

models

Thanks for the external fm transmitter info. That is another option to keep in mind.
    With your suggestion to return everything and go with a used product ~ I am open to that but I find I am somewhat still in the same situation as far as buying confidentally a Sirius product that will have a strong fm transmitter. I was set on the Starmate 3 until reading your post.
    Can I assume the original Starmate and version 2 (if there is such a thing) would be good candidates?

Enthusiast
    12-02-2009, 04:02 PM #7
    They are, however they are notorious for going bad over time. All of the older radios are like that. They were a 12v input and get extremely hot very quickly. In my opinion it is best to get a new unit that's a 5v input with a warranty instead of a used product because with buying used, you never know what will end up happening.

12-03-2009, 10:00 AM #8

newer sirius receivers

I have been doing some research since I last wrote, and paired with my own experiences with the Xact receivers which, for starters, overheated ~ I agree with you, that it's more desirable to stay with the new receiver and try the fm transmitter. Thank you both for your time in posting your knowledge. It is all the more vital when a consumer cannot simply plug in an item to test it ~ it is an entire involvement to have to activate and interact with Sirius ~ so the information up front is very helpful indeed.

Enthusiast
    12-03-2009, 02:03 PM #9
    Not a problem. I'm glad I could help. If you have any other questions and want to speak to someone directly over the phone, you can reach me at 773-772-4340. My name is Matt. Our company specialized in satellite radio products and accessories and we have a lot of knowledge in the building that could help you.

12-06-2009, 12:06 PM #10

Sirius boombox + external fm transmitter

Hey Matt~Since it is the weekend, thought I would try contact here rather than phoning your company. Watched the video online at your site. That's very helpful. Have a question though for the transmitter's use with a Sirius boombox. The transmitter connects on a home dock to the "audio out" jack. On the Sirius boombox there are two choices "audio in" and "headphones." If this connects to the 'headphones' jack instead, then, if I'm following this, it creates another issue ~ all the radios in the house would play EXCEPT for the boombox. Is that true and, if so, what is the fix there? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12