Page 3 of 6 12345 ...
    Enthusiast
    07-29-2009, 05:18 PM #21
    Quote Originally Posted by julietoo View Post
    Hi and welcome Paul!

Great having you here. You found a great place to hang out.
    Lots of good people here. Keep posting.

Julie
    Will do, Julie, and thanks for making me feel welcome. I will enjoy hanging out here!

Mentor
    07-29-2009, 05:29 PM #22
    hey guys . . please link-over to my posts on Scott Moritz of thestreet . .

http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthre...3698#post43698

07-29-2009, 07:19 PM #23
    Quote Originally Posted by TSavery View Post
    I am posting a response to Bah Bah regarding the Moritz articcle here, where discussion is more appropriate:

Bah Bah says:

"Do you guys all wear tin-foil beanies and scan the skies for black helicopters?

It is quite possible for people to criticize SIRI because of its poor management, debt and inability to turn a profit.

Moritz points out the debt load and current deficit for SIRI and you guys simply gloss over it.

The fact that Mr. Savery doesn’t understand the effect that actually turning a profit would have on share price, given the current debt load, is an indicator of POOR analysis.

Moritz is CORRECT!"

1. No conspiracy theoryt from me in the piece. the piece laid out facts, and identified what I feel are several errors in the thought process of Moritz. You are defending him, so please give us the logic in what Moritz wrote by discussing his stance.

2. Do you believe it is correct to take the sub loss in Q1 and simply annualize it? That is what Moritz did. He took a sub loss of 400k and multiplied it by 4. That is utter foolishness for anyone who has followed this equity for any length of time.

3. Do you believe that the accumulated deficit of $9.46 Billion has anything to do with Moritz's concerns? The fact is that the company owes $3 Billion and change. Moritz is concerned with $6 Billion dollars that he does not need to be concerned with. It is the current and future debt that we need to think about. Only $3 billion and change of the accumulated debt is a concern.

4. Do you think it makes sence to look at Liberty as simply a debt holder? Wouldn't it be prudent to understand the equity stake that Liberty has as well? Do you think Liberty is going to want their equity investment to fail? The potential profit on their debt is pretty well capped, whereas they have a much bigger potential on their equity stake. Because of that, Liberty has every reason to want Sirius XM to remain a going concern.

5. You say that Moritz points out thedebt load. he did nothing of the sort. Please show me where you feel he pointed out the debt load. You wont be able to, because he didn't do it. Instead he pointed out what can only be called a virtually meaningless metric in tems of his thought process of his piece.

6. I do understand what turning a profit means. I do understand the debt load. I do understand that the debt load is far more manageable now than it was only 6 months ago. I also understand that when this company turns a profit, that it will be TAX FREE.

7. You say I have POOR ANALYSIS, I challenge you to point out point by point where I am off base, and back it up. Are you up to doing that?

If people want to criticize the company that is fine. There are many things people can be critical of. BUT...being critical with bad information is not the right path to be on.

Q 1. No conspiracy theory from me in the piece. the piece laid out facts, and identified what I feel are several errors in the thought process of Moritz.
    You are defending him, so please give us the logic in what Moritz wrote by discussing his stance.
    What you claim are errors can arguably be claimed to be disagreements of fact.

Response: To be fair, your article did not have the conspiratorial tone that many of the cheerleaders of SIRI have.
    I am going to agree with you that we have disagreements of fact.
    Moritz's article can simply be his view based on the current situation.
    Too many cheerleader are claiming nefarious motives without ANY evidence of such.

Q 2. Do you believe it is correct to take the sub loss in Q1 and simply annualize it?
    That is what Moritz did. He took a sub loss of 400k and multiplied it by 4.
    That is utter foolishness for anyone who has followed this equity for any length of time.

Response: Whether you choose to believe it or not, annualizing the Q1 loss DOES have a basis in logic.
    It is quite possible for the sub losses to continue as the recession continues.
    Any rebound will certainly be many months, if not years, in the future.
    Annualizing the Q1 sub losses provides a realistic view of subscriber numbers in a DOWN economy.
    Sirius-XM has never had to deal with the current situation before so there shouldn't be so much disagreement on this issue.

You are ASSUMING that both GM, Chrysler and other OEMs will actually have sales increases.
    There is ZERO data upon which to make that assumption.
    You are making a leap of FAITH.

GM already announced that it's July sales numbers are down 22% from this time last year.
    Perhaps you may want to reconsider your position on this issue.

Q 3. Do you believe that the accumulated deficit of $9.46 Billion has anything to do with Moritz's concerns?
    The fact is that the company owes $3 Billion and change.
    Moritz is concerned with $6 Billion dollars that he does not need to be concerned with.
    It is the current and future debt that we need to think about.
    Only $3 billion and change of the accumulated debt is a concern.

Response: It should be obvious that a deficit of $9.46 Billion is concern.
    ALL deficits and DEBT should be cause for concern.
    Sirius-XM has NEVER turned a profit.
    To state that any deficit or debt is of no concern is cavalier and foolish.

Q 4. Do you think it makes sense to look at Liberty as simply a debt holder?
    Wouldn't it be prudent to understand the equity stake that Liberty has as well?
    Do you think Liberty is going to want their equity investment to fail?
    The potential profit on their debt is pretty well capped, whereas they have a much bigger potential on their equity stake. Because of that, Liberty has every reason to want Sirius XM to remain a going concern.

Response: It should be obvious that Malone's investment in Sirius-XM is a hedge.
    If it all goes to hell, Malone is in the catbird seat for getting the Sirius-XM hardware infrastructure.
    It should be obvious that this infrastructure has possibilities beyond SatRad.

Q 5. You say that Moritz points out the debt load. he did nothing of the sort.
    Please show me where you feel he pointed out the debt load.
    You wont be able to, because he didn't do it.
    Instead he pointed out what can only be called a virtually meaningless metric in terms of his thought process of his piece.

Response: You are being deliberately obtuse and playing a semantic game if you are claiming this.

Moritz states;
    "The satellite radio shop has plunged deeply into red ink, accumulating a total deficit of $9.46 billion.
    Given that Sirius shares are trading at around 40 cents, it's obvious that investors aren't confident
    that pay radio stock has much upside."

In the real world, Red Ink is debt and you know it.

Q 6. I do understand what turning a profit means.
    I do understand the debt load.
    I do understand that the debt load is far more manageable now than it was only 6 months ago.
    I also understand that when this company turns a profit, that it will be TAX FREE.

Response: The debt may be more manageable now but the market is contracting.
    Sirius-XM sub numbers are DROPPING.
    You are making the assumption that they WILL turn a profit.
    Again, you are making a leap of faith.
    Also, you should state that the profit is not really tax free.
    The profits, if there are any, will offset by the carry forward losses.
    That is not the same as tax-free.

7. You say I have POOR ANALYSIS, I challenge you to point out point by point where I am off base, and back it up.
    Are you up to doing that?

Response: My above response did just that.

It should be obvious that Sirius-XM is STILL in serious financial trouble.
    They are losing money in a down economy.
    They are losing subscribers in a down ecomony.

There has been ZERO indication that Sirius-XM has turned the corner and will
    emerge from its debt load as a profitable company.

Your analysis is based on faith and assumptions.
    At the very least, Moritz has Sirius-XM own performance to use to substantiate his analysis.

Mentor
    07-29-2009, 08:33 PM #24
    Quote Originally Posted by BahBah Booey View Post
    Q 1. No conspiracy theory from me in the piece. the piece laid out facts, and identified what I feel are several errors in the thought process of Moritz.
    You are defending him, so please give us the logic in what Moritz wrote by discussing his stance.

Response: To be fair, your article did not have the conspiratorial tone that many of the cheerleaders of SIRI have.
    Too many cheerleader are claiming nefarious motives without ANY evidence of such.

Q 2. Do you believe it is correct to take the sub loss in Q1 and simply annualize it?
    That is utter foolishness for anyone who has followed this equity for any length of time.

Response: Whether you choose to believe it or not, annualizing the Q1 loss DOES have a basis in logic.
    Annualizing the Q1 sub losses provides a realistic view of subscriber numbers in a DOWN economy.
    Sirius-XM has never had to deal with the current situation before so there shouldn't be so much disagreement on this issue.

You are ASSUMING that both GM, Chrysler and other OEMs will actually have sales increases.

GM already announced that it's July sales numbers are down 22% from this time last year.

Q 3. Do you believe that the accumulated deficit of $9.46 Billion has anything to do with Moritz's concerns?
    Moritz is concerned with $6 Billion dollars that he does not need to be concerned with.

The potential profit on their debt is pretty well capped, whereas they have a much bigger potential on their equity stake. Because of that, Liberty has every reason to want Sirius XM to remain a going concern.

Response: It should be obvious that Malone's investment in Sirius-XM is a hedge.
    If it all goes to hell, Malone is in the catbird seat for getting the Sirius-XM hardware infrastructure.

Instead he pointed out what can only be called a virtually meaningless metric in terms of his thought process of his piece.

Response: You are being deliberately obtuse and playing a semantic game if you are claiming this.

Moritz states;
    "The satellite radio shop has plunged deeply into red ink, accumulating a total deficit of $9.46 billion.
    Given that Sirius shares are trading at around 40 cents, it's obvious that investors aren't confident

I do understand that the debt load is far more manageable now than it was only 6 months ago.
    I also understand that when this company turns a profit, that it will be TAX FREE.

7. You say I have POOR ANALYSIS, I challenge you to point out point by point where I am off base, and back it up.

At the very least, Moritz has Sirius-XM own performance to use to substantiate his analysis.
    This is all sidestepping the issue of responsible journalism. Let me explain this simply for you. I only need 2 issues here.
    1. Debt issue. Past losses are only a benefit to a company like SiriusXM. Current debt load is under 4 billion. Thats a lie only a astute siriusxm investor would catch. Remember, hes not writing for you and me. Hes writing for the average Joe retailer. And if he wanted to let that person know the straight facts to make an informed decision, his version is very biased, and definately fraudulent in presentation. IF you cant see that, then your a basher. Period.
    2. Sub loss. Thats like saying the first team to score a basket is a basketball game is "on pace" to win, at 2-0. You cant take the sub loss total from Q1(representing a huge differential in cars sold from one quarter to the next(huge drop in auto sales)) and mulitply by 4. Thats irresponsible journalism. Period. If you cant see this, your a basher. You have to know how those sub totals are arrived at, and what caused the huge drop. And to understand that auto sales are better, that loss will go down. Penetration rate increase helps offset some of the take rate losses. Its not simple math, any way you look at it. Tyler has written novels about how subs are counted. This man is giving you nickel and dime advice, on matters of personal finance. To not see this, makes you a basher, or you dont understand the company. Its one or the other. Logic is unforgiving here.
    You can be bearish the company, and still present factual truthful, unmanipulated information to make your case. Thats what amazes me about this company. The facts arent good enough. People and analysts, journalists must go one step further, and write with an agenda. His opinion on picking them as a failure, is based on printed false information. If they lose 1.4 million subs this year, Ill blow you and this Scott guy too. Hows that. Sound pretty confident dont I. Thats because I understand this company, and you and your lover Scott do not.

Head Honcho
    07-29-2009, 09:03 PM #25

Moritz states;

@ bah bah

I am out on the town, but will offer a response when I get back in.
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

07-29-2009, 09:11 PM #26
    relmor2003,

For someone who professes to know about responsible journalism, why is it you are completely inept when it comes to the proper use of contractions and punctuation.

When someone uses the word 'your' when they should use "you're", or can't properly spell "don't", it immediately tells me they are an intellectual cripple.

FTR, there was NOTHING irresponsible about Moritz's reporting.
    His analysis is an editorial that expresses an OPINION based on his research and experience.

His article and opinion is just as valid as anything Tyler posts.

Perhaps you ought to study to find out what journalism actually is.

Mentor
    07-29-2009, 10:02 PM #27
    relmor2003,

For someone who professes to know about responsible journalism, why is it you are completely inept when it comes to the proper use of contractions and punctuation.

When someone uses the word 'your' when they should use "you're", or can't properly spell "don't", it immediately tells me they are an intellectual cripple.
    Good evening gents/Julie . . . please pardon my brief interruption . . . shouldn't there be a "question mark" placed at the end of your first sentence? (like I just used here; doesn't look rhetorical to me as it is a direct question to a specific individual)

Also, in the United States . . "commas" are always placed inside of the closing quotation mark regardless of the usage.

Additionally, your pronoun usage in the second sentence is in disagreement.

I Thank you . . . please continue.
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 07-29-2009 at 10:20 PM.

Mentor
    07-29-2009, 10:09 PM #28
    I now have this image in my head of Relmor reposed in an Andrew Wyeth painting

damn that fah-fah foehi . . .
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 10-03-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Mentor
    07-29-2009, 10:49 PM #29
    relmor2003,

Funny, I tend to think the opposite provided they had something insightful to say. Not to mention, Relmor's response was a message board post, not an article in Times. I also think that bringing up typo's and such is usually a sign that you're stumped.

Looked like you folks had a good discussion, to bad it ended this way.

For the record, I'm on neither person's side on this one. I just find it silly when people bring up the "XXXXX is an adjective, you idiot" argument to bring validity to their own views, and discredit another. While name calling and put downs can be entertainment, they also make message boards less useful to get information from.

I won't be checking for my own post for typo's, hahaha.

Head Honcho
    07-29-2009, 11:58 PM #30

Moritz states;

At the very least, Moritz has Sirius-XM own performance to use to substantiate his analysis.[/QUOTE]

Bah Bah....

1. Annualizing subs has no basis if someone has followed this company for any length of time. I am sorry, but it simply should not be done. You say it is possible for sub losses to continue. I agree. Q2 will show a loss of subs, but the loss will not be as large as Q1. The churn metric will improve, as will the promotional subscriber mix. These will carry the effect of making the Q2 sub loss less than Q1. As I said, if you build a subscriber model and understand the metrics you would NEVER use an annualized basis to arrive at a conclusion. To do so is simply idiotic when there is better information out there to work from.

Another factor is that an auto sales rebound will show substantial impact very quickly in the promotional category. A perfect example of how fast things change is in 2006 when GM ran their employee discount promotion. There was a substantial jump in subs for two quarters, and then a substantial drop off in the third as the swing balanced out. You do not have to go back that far. Look at the delta between Q4 and Q1. Changes happen fast.

You say that I am assuming sales increases for GM and others. Actually, i am not making that assumption at all. In fact, I am making an assumption that grosos subs goes down again in Q2. The subscriber model is complex, buts I have done the exact opposite of what you think I did. Thus your statement that I am making a leap of faith is WAY off base. I am making realistic assumptions that include less auto sales, less gross adds, and better churn. This is based on historic data and an understanding of the cycles involved in subs, sales, and churn. Moritz made a leap of faith, because he backed nothing up. By extension, you are making a leap of faith by agreeing with Moritz.

I will not reconsider my stance. My stance is sound, and my model has proven accurate quarter after quarter. What is Moritz's record? What is your record? By the way, July sales would be in Q3 not Q2. You need to put your numbers on the table. Right now you are saying, "I am right and Tyler is wrong " but have not backed up anything.

2. You say that an accumulated deficit of $9.46 billion is a concern going forward. By what measure do you arrive at this. The fact is that debt is a bit over $3 billion. You are worried about $6 billion that has NOTHING to do with what will transpire going forward other than be tallied against accumulated losses that will provide a tax benefit to the company. If the company is turning the corner, the acumulated deficit becomes even more irrelevant. I did not say that the debt is not a concern. I clearly stated that what needs to be worried about is current and future debt. I DID say that the debt picture over the next two years is quite friendly in terms of liquidity. The fact is that right now the debt is well under control.

3. You state that malones investment is a hedge. How do you arrive at that conclusion. His shares have made him over a billion on paper. Sirius XM paid off some debt, and Malone bought $100 million of the recent offering. Malones stake in the equity is far more of a profitable of the recent offering. From a Liberty perspective, their position in the equity is their gravy. Malone is not even the largest debt holder. Moritz should have known this, and you should know this. You say that the satellites have capabilities beyond sat rad. The sats are licenced to operate in the S band. The S band is dedicated to satellite radio. The FCC process alone would be a nightmare for Malone. Further, Malone is not as much in a catbird seat than other bond holders. Look at who holds what debt and you will see this.

4. You say red ink is debt. Not true in many cases. The company can and does use shares to finance operations. Because of new accounting standards, the use of shares carries a double whammy. The value of the shares must be counted as a cost, and they dilute the company. In the past this was not the case, but the use of shares has NEVER equated to debt. Another factor to consider is depreciation. Still another is deferred revenue which counts as a liability. The company has a ton of deferred revenue on the books.

5. You say that the profits being offset by losses do not equate to being tax free. You do understand that the offset losses essentially "wipe out" the profit, thereby making it appear as though there is no profit. If there is no profit, there is no tax. You are really reaching and splitting hairs here. Further, I am not assuming that a profit is coming this quarter. However, the trend of the company is that they are getting closer and closer to free cash flow positive. Profits typically follow FCF positive in short order.

bah Bah, I look forward to you assigning some numbers to your arguement.
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

Page 3 of 6 12345 ...