Page 1 of 2 12
    Addict
    07-20-2009, 08:24 PM #1

Under Bush ...

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/7/20/755597/-Under-Bush,-my-taxes-went-down-$250-and-my-health-insurance-premiums-went-up-$5,000

Interesting Blog article about health care costs.

Addict
    07-20-2009, 08:46 PM #2
    Sorry you cant access the article here.

Enthusiast
    07-20-2009, 09:21 PM #3
    And how is Bush responsible for rising Health insurance costs?

A good portion of the increase in health care costs is because doctors have to pay huge malpractice insurance and practice defensive medicine. That's thanks to the Democratic Party's cronies, the trial lawyers

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd Handwerker View Post
    http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/7/20/755597/-Under-Bush,-my-taxes-went-down-$250-and-my-health-insurance-premiums-went-up-$5,000

Interesting Blog article about health care costs.

Addict
    07-21-2009, 01:54 AM #4
    I think the point of the article is that everyone who supported Bush always
    pointed to his tax cuts and ignored the fact that health insurance costs
    were going through the roof. Bush and the Republicans have always been
    bankrolled by the Insurance industry and they did nothing to rein in costs
    during his 8 years.

Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    07-21-2009, 08:15 AM #5
    As a small business owner, I can tell you this.

That during the Bush years, my federal personal income tax DID decrease by about 15%. But in order to make up for federal spending cuts, my local and state taxes, excise taxes on utilities like phones and electric. And increased property taxes raised my overall tax bill by 5%. So, it was a losing proposition for me. That's why I couldn't support another Republican during the past election. I like people who tell me the truth. At the very least the Democrats didn't lie and tell me they were going to lower my overall taxes.

As for health care. I think it IS the Doctors and Drug Makers along with the insurance companies that are to blame for the high cost of health care. I don't think legal fees really amount to even 1% of the overall cost of health care. I think people are just sold way too many drugs and services for things that they could probably cure with good diet and excercise.

Mentor
    07-24-2009, 04:40 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd Handwerker View Post
    I think the point of the article is that everyone who supported Bush always
    pointed to his tax cuts and ignored the fact that health insurance costs
    were going through the roof. Bush and the Republicans have always been
    bankrolled by the Insurance industry and they did nothing to rein in costs
    during his 8 years.
    LLoyd,i have to say that this is the most ignorant assinine statement you have ever said,i can give you personally 100 republicans i know who never supported Bush for those reasons you say in this statement..
    He reformed medicare and laid out the Blue print for the Obama healthcare plan of using it as a guide,negotiate rates on care and RX drugs out of strength.

Insurance companies,lawyers and Drug companies give equally to each party and candidate,they are the problem,they write the laws and the Tax loopholes that benefit one industry over another..

Mentor
    07-24-2009, 04:50 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    As a small business owner, I can tell you this.

That during the Bush years, my federal personal income tax DID decrease by about 15%. But in order to make up for federal spending cuts, my local and state taxes, excise taxes on utilities like phones and electric. And increased property taxes raised my overall tax bill by 5%. So, it was a losing proposition for me. That's why I couldn't support another Republican during the past election. I like people who tell me the truth. At the very least the Democrats didn't lie and tell me they were going to lower my overall taxes.

As for health care. I think it IS the Doctors and Drug Makers along with the insurance companies that are to blame for the high cost of health care. I don't think legal fees really amount to even 1% of the overall cost of health care. I think people are just sold way too many drugs and services for things that they could probably cure with good diet and excercise.
    Candleman,appreciate and respect your thoughts,but that is the republican mantra since Ronald reagan,cut income and other taxes and then cut the subsidies to the states to pay for them in the budget,as all politics is local and best enforced locally,another words if your state or city is run tight and
    Fiscally sound you are ok,but if not,this is where the power of the vote is most held strongly IMHO to effect change...
    Why should the federal gov't have to come to the states and mandate regs that are unfunded and then not pay for them...
    Education should be funded locally and by school boards with out politics involved to teach our children right and funding should be equal to all..
    Reagan started all this raising fees through Utilities and cable and phone companies,it was the great hidden Tax hike of the century,why i think he failed with his trickle down bullshit..He also made all cabinet divisions be self suppoorting with higher fees,like Passports,park fees,licsense's and such..ETC

Addict
    07-24-2009, 04:58 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIrishXM View Post
    LLoyd,i have to say that this is the most ignorant assinine statement you have ever said,i can give you personally 100 republicans i know who never supported Bush for those reasons you say in this statement..
    He reformed medicare and laid out the Blue print for the Obama healthcare plan of using it as a guide,negotiate rates on care and RX drugs out of strength.

Insurance companies,lawyers and Drug companies give equally to each party and candidate,they are the problem,they write the laws and the Tax loopholes that benefit one industry over another..
    i frankly dont understand your points johnny. Republicans didnt use the Bush tax cuts as their major and sometimes only talking point? Bush refused to allow passage of legislation to lower drug costs. Wonder why. Lol.

Contributions from drug and insurance companies tilt towards the Republicans. Which party wants the Public option in the health care plan?
    Democrats of course. Who opposes it? insurance companies, Drug companies (although lately they have been trying to negotiate with the
    Obama administration because they see the writing on the wall and want
    the best deal possible) and the Republicans.

Check this out.
    http://www.citizen.org/congress/camp...es.cfm?ID=6542

If you read down quite a bit you will find statistics about contributions to
    Repbulicans. I can find you many other studies on Republicans contributions
    from the Insurance and Drug companies if you dont want to google it yourself.

Addict
    07-24-2009, 05:00 PM #9
    I believe it says 69% to Republicans.
    That is not equal as you say.

Addict
    07-24-2009, 05:04 PM #10
    Johnny,
    Why dont you read the Krugman article under the heading Costs and Compassion before you write back.

Page 1 of 2 12