Page 3 of 5 12345
    Mentor
    07-24-2009, 02:28 PM #21

follow-up on yesterday's topic

from Mel:

"we currently have zero plans to have a free advertising driven service. We like our business model and we think that the subscriber revenue is a very important part of it, though we do reserve the right, obviously, as years go on and as more and more subscribers are out there to consider having an advertising driven business, separate and apart, as well."

07-24-2009, 02:32 PM #22
    Hi everyone,

Sorrry, if this rerun. Ford announced Thursday a 2.3 billion dollar
    profit, driven by an accounting credit for debt reduction. The company lost money, 1 billion, on automotive operations for the quarter.

More good news than bad, sign things are beginning to turn around.

Enjoy the day,
    Julie

Head Honcho
    07-24-2009, 02:41 PM #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    did they not emphatically say that subs would be down in Q2??

I would hardly call that positive guidance or trying to bury negative guidance . . . which smart-money will of course see-thru if a bunch of amateurs on a blog can see it
    Roadkill, are you saying that we are a "bunch of amatures on a blog"?

I will say that I am not a financial advisor, but...I do tend to get the numbers pretty close
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

Head Honcho
    07-24-2009, 02:42 PM #24
    Quote Originally Posted by julietoo View Post
    Hi everyone,

profit, driven by an accounting credit for debt reduction. The company lost money, 1 billion, on automotive operations for the quarter.

Enjoy the day,
    Julie
    I like how Ford has handled this situation.
    Tyler Savery

Mentor
    07-24-2009, 02:57 PM #25
    Quote Originally Posted by TSavery View Post
    Roadkill, are you saying that we are a "bunch of amatures on a blog"?

I will say that I am not a financial advisor, but...I do tend to get the numbers pretty close
    LOL . . . sorry Tyler (I exaggerated a bit there for effect) . .

Yes. Yes in-deed. Your estimates have been very-very reliable and you have produced the work product to back it up.

Analysts are scared shitless about not getting guidance! Why?

Because it can expose just how inept they really are . . just watch how many misses come in on the next Q or the Q after that; screw them! F them!

even when he had all the data on a silver platter Mark Wienkies still could not interpret correctly . . . or interpret it with integrity.

Now we will find out who the quality analysts really are . . no more fill-in-the blank quizes or open-book-tests. If you are a quality analyst, now you will have an opportunity to distinguish your self from your breathren and you should welcome that opportunity . . not piss and moan about it.

Traders/analysts are compensated on short-term incentives . . too FN bad; Mel is not running the company for you to "make your spiff" for the quarter . . he is running the company for long term investors . .

The analysts will now have to earn their keep . . if they don't like the risk of being wrong by more than a penny then find another occupation or go cover another stock . . if the day-traders don't like it. tough shit . . the company is not run for swing trades

Mentor
    07-24-2009, 03:01 PM #26
    Quote Originally Posted by julietoo View Post
    Hi everyone,

Enjoy the day,
    Julie
    good info Julie . . . perhaps the second half of the year will be better for our OEM partners . . . fortunately, Mel is managing expenses based on a run-rate of 9mm units for '09

Mentor
    07-24-2009, 03:03 PM #27

Because it can expose just how inept they really are . . just watch how many misses come in on the next Q or the Q after that; screw them! F them!

even when he had all the data on a silver platter Mark Wienkies still could not interpret correctly . . . or interpret it with integrity.

Now we will find out who the quality analysts really are . . no more fill-in-the blank quizes or open-book-tests. If you are a quality analyst, now you will have an opportunity to distinguish your self from your breathren and you should welcome that opportunity . . not piss and moan about it.

Traders/analysts are compensated on short-term incentives . . too FN bad; Mel is not running the company for you to "make your spiff" for the quarter . . he is running the company for long term investors . .

The analysts will now have to earn their keep . . if they don't like the risk of being wrong by more than a penny then find another occupation or go cover another stock . . if the day-traders don't like it. tough shit . . the company is not run for swing trades
    Good points. And Tyler touched on a sore subject from me. Once guidance was removed, the analyists showed there true colors. I actually believed the average opinion on subs from analyists, assuming they were at least accurate to some degree. Well, they missed it bad. Curiously bad. I refuse to believe they didnt know how to at least get it close. Maybe not though. Last time I listen to an analyist for anything. At all. They are all shrills with agendas. Period. Never heard otherwise. There opinions can be bought, or they are in that position for other dubious means. If you can find me a well publicized honest analyist, I would be surprised. Im now kind of leaning towards roadkills view on this one now. I agree. **** em. LOL
    Let everyone wonder. Make the stock heavily bought into calls on pure speculation. Give guidance on a few other things though, at some point, and they will.

Head Honcho
    07-24-2009, 03:09 PM #28

Yes. Yes in-deed. Your estimates have been very-very reliable and you have produced the work product to back it up.

The problem with many analysts is that they build a bad model, and rather than rework it, try to "adjust" to compensate. I have seen many say that trying to figure out the various metrics can be hard. Well, it is hard, but worth it when you feel that you have a finger on the pulse of an equity.

Figuring this stuff out is not rocket science, but there are many out there who are simply lazy.

There are indeed wild cards in many of these metrics, but that is where understanding how everyting comes together is in play. Some assign far too much value to certain items, and wind up giving estimates that are way outside the box.

I look at things from many angles prior to arriving at my conclusions. I have seen some call for negative subs, yet say that revenue will be a huge boost, and because of that that the company will have an EPS gain, or break even. Some do not understand how all of these metrics interconnect.

cheers
    Tyler Savery

Mentor
    07-24-2009, 03:12 PM #29
    . . taking the ole lady out for lunch . . be back later

Mentor
    07-24-2009, 03:24 PM #30

This part i agree with 100%,,you are right..