Page 4 of 11 ... 23456 ...
    Mentor
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Outer Banks of North Carolina Posts: 1,511
    07-22-2009, 11:45 AM #31
    We can argue all day long about what our company ought to be doing.

But, in the end, it's our actions as investors that will determine our bottom line.

Here is a case of what I mean.

Yesterday at 3:50 pm, siri was trading at .37. That was a good time to invest 5K. This morning siri is trading at .39, that's a good time to make some profit....I did! And I've done it over and over again in the last 4 months.

This isn't making the pain of the tens of thousands of shares that I own at over 3 bucks each go away. But, it is actively easing the pain in a slow and methodical fashion.

Any of us who have owned a successful business, knows that profit comes slowly. But, it never comes to those folks who don't work at it. The point is buy this stock and sell this stock, and make some money. Maybe someday it will come back to the old numbers, but maybe not. In the meantime...make some money!

Guru
    07-22-2009, 11:52 AM #32
    Quote Originally Posted by frigginregan View Post
    Wow. I find your ignorance staggering. I'm not some screaming petulant kid stamping his feet on the ground. Nor am I tooting my own horn. I stand by my belief that creating a add on service like Pandora/Slacker would benefit Sirius and it's investors so much that it cannot be ignored. Am I passionate? Yup. Brainless? Hardly. I find it mindboggling the level of your arrogance and ignorance. It is quite staggering. And I pray that Sirius management isn't as blind as you are, or we are in big trouble.

Do I think my posts will make a difference? Nope. It's more venting than anything. But I'm passionate, and perhaps SOMEONE out there is listening. Maybe if enough shareholders/listeners express a similar desire....management will take notice. Hopefully they are already working on such a thing as I suggested.

This is not impatience talking. Time is of the essence. Technology is moving at such a rapid pace that if you are on the sidelines, you'll get left behind. You have to jump in and make your presence known, otherwise people will move onto the next gadget or trend by the time you do.

Sirius FINALLY developed an iphone app. Of course, the the bashers and shorts jumped on the fact that Howard, the NFL and Baseball weren't included.

Sirius could overcome those negatives with the announcement of them adding a Pandora/Slacker like feature. It would generate a lot of buzz.

The Sirius app has slipped to what? #35? I GUARANTEE you that if Sirius added this feature, it'd shoot back up to #1 and stay there. It'd permanently knock Pandora down below it for good.

Anyone against this plan, or who mocks it must be out of their mind, delusional, or a short....because it IS a NO BRAINER. Saying it ain't is just retarded talk. Sorry. :-P

Ignorance is one of your problems another is you let your passion blind your common sense and logic (if you have any). A point in fact, I was the first to ever talk about the used car market being another cost free revenue steam and a full month before SIRI did for the first time in their next CC. What lead me to that conclusion was common sense and logic.

Another case in point that you are not using common sense and logic, is you say that if SIRIXM did what you say then they would be #1 again and pass Pandora! So I guess you think that that would make all Iphone users get a subscription to SIRIXM. I said this before and I will say it again here, Fact; unless every Iphone user has a subscription to SIRIXM they are right from the start at a disavantage to Pandora. Fact even if they match Pandora and Slacker services in the the catagory they are competing with them there is only the commercial free aspect that SIRIXM offers for that 15 dollars a month. Fact; not all (most likely far from all) will think 15 a month is worth commercial free. Fact the only time SIRIXM was ahead of Pandora was the time they offered the service for free.

So get your head out of the clouds and back to earth. It is not arrogance and ignorance that brings me to the conclustions I have, it is plain old fashion common sense and logic.

07-22-2009, 12:07 PM #33
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIrishXM View Post
    Frigginregan,i hear what your saying,and not being technical or having an I-Phone or seen Slackdora work,i think you are missing the BIG picture here,
    SXM is the future bussiness model of all WIFI and internet radio based plansd,The company will be the model that everyone else will try to emulate,that is Subscription based,as all with royalties and ads not covering basic free model most will have to go from free to partial pay and eventually just like SXM get more exclusive content to charge more..
    It is a hell of alot harder to go from FREE to PAY than Pay to higher FEES as vyou become more popular..
    SEE imho SXM is way ahead of the game here and everyone else will have to catch up..
    Hey JohnnyIrishXM. I hear you, and I completely agree. Pandora is already beginning to charge people who listen to more than 40 hrs a week. They are also increasing the number of commercials. And it will only get worse for them since their royalty fees were raised to 25% of their yearly revenue.

Sirius DOES have a GREAT business model. And one that will be the dream and envy of all other media companies once it gets past it's debt and other uncertainties.

I guess I am saying that it will STILL greatly benefit them to do what I suggested. It makes complete sense. In business you don't wait around for your competition to think of ways to improve when they are down. You step on their throat.

Who is to say that Pandora is doomed. Yes, their business model is lacking. But you don't just assume that the high royalty fees and weak advertising sales will do them in.

The fact is, that right now, they are attracting eyes and ears. Eyes and ears AWAY from Sirius.

It would cost Sirius NOTHING to add this feature. And the benefits would be huge. Even if you believe that Pandora and Slacker are doomed....it makes sense to attract as many eyes and ears to your product as possible. And as I said, right now Pandora is #13 on the iphone MOST DOWNLOADED LIST....while Sirius has FALLEN OFF THE TOP 50!!!!!!

Come on. That speaks VOLUMES. You can't ignore that. YES...I LOVE Sirius. It is SO MUCH better. And YES...I agree, it has the better business model long term.

But facts are facts. And Pandora is winning the numbers game.

I guess the question I'll ask those who think adding a Pandora/Slacker like feature to the Sirius iphone is a bad idea is this....

Why would you be against doing something that 1) WOULD COST SIRIUS NOTHING and 2) WOULD POTENTIALLY BRING MILLIONS OF NEW EYES AND EARS TO YOUR APP???

So yeah, to me it's a "no brainer"...a "slam dunk"...call it what you like. But Sirius SHOULD do this.

07-22-2009, 12:20 PM #34
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Ignorance is one of your problems another is you let your passion blind your common sense and logic (if you have any). A point in fact, I was the first to ever talk about the used car market being another cost free revenue steam and a full month before SIRI did for the first time in their next CC. What lead me to that conclusion was common sense and logic.

Another case in point that you are not using common sense and logic, is you say that if SIRIXM did what you say then they would be #1 again and pass Pandora! So I guess you think that that would make all Iphone users get a subscription to SIRIXM. I said this before and I will say it again here, Fact; unless every Iphone user has a subscription to SIRIXM they are right from the start at a disavantage to Pandora. Fact even if they match Pandora and Slacker services in the the catagory they are competing with them there is only the commercial free aspect that SIRIXM offers for that 15 dollars a month. Fact; not all (most likely far from all) will think 15 a month is worth commercial free. Fact the only time SIRIXM was ahead of Pandora was the time they offered the service for free.

So get your head out of the clouds and back to earth. It is not arrogance and ignorance that brings me to the conclustions I have, it is plain old fashion common sense and logic.

God you're funny. You REALLY make me laugh.

You're ignorance is mindboggling. First of all, I don't ASSUME EVERYONE who downloaded such a Sirius app would become members. The POINT is that doing so WOULD attract MANY more eyes and ears....and THAT is a GOOD thing.

But what I find particularly amusing about your argument is how you ASSUME that all that Sirius has over Pandora is "commercial free" and that nobody would pay up for this. LOL.

Do you really think that is ALL they have over Pandora? LOL. Wow. Talk about ignorant. So I guess Pandora has, Live concerts and DJs, unique content, sports, Howard etc etc. Really? If you believe that you ARE delusional.

I guess you also believe that Pandora comes equipped in EVERY new car? Umm....yeah...Okaaaaay there Sparky. Dazzle me with your perception and superior knowledge some more Captain Oblivious. Sheesh. What a ma-roon.

Seriously. THAT is your argument? LOL. I LOVE how you peppered your ignorant and misinformed rant with the capitalized word "FACT!" while at the same time TOTALLY leaving out the truth. Wow. Amazing.

Guru
    07-22-2009, 12:22 PM #35
    Hummmm, I bet DISH/EcoStar thought is was also a no brainner to just copy what TIVO is doing.

Enthusiast
    07-22-2009, 12:24 PM #36
    I think what friggin is saying is that he wants SiriusXM to be the center of the "listening" world. Be that Premium and Superior paid for content, or a "free" customizable Slackdora type music listening experience. Point is you would have everyone listening to SiriusXM provided content. This whole streaming thing is in it's infancy, but it is developing. SiriusXM sees that and I think they will be addressing it. Right now, those people (Charles and Tyler included), like the content and presentation of Slackdora. Imagine having all those people in the SiriusXM "house". SiriusXM could be collecting statistics on what they were listening to and target appropriate advertising for their premium offerings. Like others have said... it takes time to develop that and if I were Sirius, I'd be keeping it under wraps as well until it was ready.

Addict
    07-22-2009, 12:26 PM #37
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I am not saying that they are not working on it or that they should not be. What I am saying is that it takes time more then most think. As an example I have been waiting for EXC to build a new reactor for the last 20 years. WHATS THE HOLD UP!!!!!!!!! ARE THEY NOT WORKING ON GETTING IT DONE?????.....I know they have been working on getting it done but there are problems.
    I have worked internationally, I know what it takes. If there were no problems we would not be where we are right now, correct ? But more than problems I like to call them "opportunites".

07-22-2009, 12:29 PM #38
    Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    We can argue all day long about what our company ought to be doing.

But, in the end, it's our actions as investors that will determine our bottom line.

Here is a case of what I mean.

Yesterday at 3:50 pm, siri was trading at .37. That was a good time to invest 5K. This morning siri is trading at .39, that's a good time to make some profit....I did! And I've done it over and over again in the last 4 months.

This isn't making the pain of the tens of thousands of shares that I own at over 3 bucks each go away. But, it is actively easing the pain in a slow and methodical fashion.

Any of us who have owned a successful business, knows that profit comes slowly. But, it never comes to those folks who don't work at it. The point is buy this stock and sell this stock, and make some money. Maybe someday it will come back to the old numbers, but maybe not. In the meantime...make some money!

I COMPLETELY agree Candleman. I too am doing the same thing. I letting my long position ride while jumping in and out on the dips with smaller chunks of cash. I wish I had more funds to play with tho!

A lot of people are sitting on long positions. I am glad I was able to average down from my original $6.50 pps to just under $1.

Sometimes I'm torn between averaging down some more, and just trading my free cash in and out on the dips. Makes sense to trade it tho. And you're right, at least it takes the edge off a little. Makes you feel like you're making SOMETHING at least. Lol.

It is a smart strategy and one that makes complete sense.

Good luck to ya. And me. And all the rest.

07-22-2009, 12:33 PM #39
    Quote Originally Posted by otone View Post
    I think what friggin is saying is that he wants SiriusXM to be the center of the "listening" world. Be that Premium and Superior paid for content, or a "free" customizable Slackdora type music listening experience. Point is you would have everyone listening to SiriusXM provided content. This whole streaming thing is in it's infancy, but it is developing. SiriusXM sees that and I think they will be addressing it. Right now, those people (Charles and Tyler included), like the content and presentation of Slackdora. Imagine having all those people in the SiriusXM "house". SiriusXM could be collecting statistics on what they were listening to and target appropriate advertising for their premium offerings. Like others have said... it takes time to develop that and if I were Sirius, I'd be keeping it under wraps as well until it was ready.
    THANK YOU! Someone who "gets" it. Lol. Bravo. That is EXACTLY what I'm saying.

Addict
    07-22-2009, 12:38 PM #40
    Quote Originally Posted by frigginregan View Post
    Why do I think adding this feature would bring flocks of new subscribers?

Simple. It's a NUMBERS game. Business 101. The MORE "eyes" or "ears" you have the better the odds. At one time, Babe Ruth was the home run king. But few realize he also had the most strike outs.

My point is, not EVERYONE is going to sign up that downloads the app. But the fact is, and it's not a feeling...but a FACT....MORE PEOPLE WOULD DOWNLOAD the app.

And again....more "eyes" and "ears" means more people with the Sirius product in their hands.

The numbers don't lie. Right now MORE people are downloading the Pandora app.

Wether Sirius is better or not is moot. Pandora is attracting more "eyes" and "ears".

But if Sirius adds this feature...it'd generate buzz and interest again....as well as being a long term generator of new subs. It's all related and connected.

And is as obvious to me as the earth being round.
    So what you are saying is that it will open a new market ? Ok, let me ask you the question differently.

What makes you believe that this new feature will attract customers that are currently paying zip, zero, nada for the service to a service that has a monthy fee ? The content has not attracted them....

Look, when I was working as a marketing manager for a company back in 1999-2000, we were evaluating entering a cheap market. We discovered that the expenses of entering and mantaining the presence in that market were higher than the revenues and profits it would provide. Business 101: DO NOT ENTER A MARKET BLINDFOLDED. You have an interesting idea but you are assuming a lot of uncontrollables that you have not studied. That is why, it is NOT a no brainer. You need your brain ... to perform a market study FIRST.

ps: Your "more ears and eyes" will not fly with management... unless of course al off the sudden they decide to open a lemonade stand... and even then...

Page 4 of 11 ... 23456 ...