Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 110

Thread: Siri Intraday Wed 7-22-09

  1. #1
    otone is offline
    Enthusiast
    otone's Avatar
    Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 243

    Siri Intraday Wed 7-22-09

    Brought this over from yesterday's

    Originally Posted by TSavery
    Services like finding a stolen car and onstar are not very likely at this point. Satellite radios are receivers only, and not approved for transmitting. In order to locate a car, police would need to receive a signal transmitted from the satellite radio. In addition, the satellites are not designed to locate sdars radios.

    Onstar requires two way communication. Sdars does not have that yet. To get such a plan in place will take two years at least, and likely need FCC approval.

    This is not to say that it is not possible. It is. However, there would be a lot that needs to happen in order for it to be real. There are more pressing issues that need to be dealt with first. Dreams like this will be on the back burner.


    Originally Posted by relmor2003
    Hate to break it to you, but the new sat. has uplink capabilities. Onstar? Onstar uses SiriusXM sats. I dont know if the uplink is just for Hughes black box, or for other uses, and new "revenue streams". As stated in there CC. Repeater upgrades and new sat. enables "new revenue streams".



    I am really curious about any possible new capabilities. If I'm remembering correctly, Homer was pretty adamant that this satellite was simply an upgrade. But what the heck could they possibly be doing with that X-band uplink?

    Let's say there is something to it and they have a plan to utilize the X-band. There would be FCC approval of whatever device that used the band, but that wouldn't take too long I would think (6 months maybe?). The big question is would you roll out some big program...like an onstar program with only 1 satellite and no backup? To me that doesn't seem likely... so I'm left scratching my head and hoping they have something planned, yet realistically, I'm not sure I see anything until at least FM-6 is in the air.

    thoughts?

  2. #2
    Siriusowner is offline
    Addict
    Siriusowner's Avatar
    Joined: Nov 2008 Location: The Oil Patch, Texas Posts: 922
    I do not know but before jamming more services into people without enough spendable money look into growing internationally... Europe ? At least there no one has satellite radio that I know and if in the US about 6 to 7 % of the population has sat radio , I'd expect in Europe at least 30 million new subscribers.

    The Onstar service would be totally different from the core business and that is not the way to grow. Even with the economy as it is, I would like to see more of that sat TV developed or internet even GPS but Onstar is a totally different animal.

    I liked it when the announced the used car deal. That is the way to go, look for growth in the core business for now. There's a lot of unexploited potential there. Leave stuff like Onstar for the future, perhaps 5 to 10 years from now.
    Last edited by Siriusowner; 07-22-2009 at 08:53 AM.

  3. #3
    relmor2003 is offline
    Mentor
    relmor2003's Avatar
    Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriusowner View Post
    I do not know but before jamming more services into people without enough spendable money look into growing internationally... Europe ? At least there no one has satellite radio that I know and if in the US about 6 to 7 % of the population has sat radio , I'd expect in Europe at least 30 million new subscribers.

    The Onstar service would be totally different from the core business and that is not the way to grow. Even with the economy as it is, I would like to see more of that sat TV developed or internet even GPS but Onstar is a totally different animal.

    I liked it when the announced the used car deal. That is the way to go, look for growth in the core business for now. There's a lot of unexploited potential there. Leave stuff like Onstar for the future, perhaps 5 to 10 years from now.
    Future is now. Nope. They have already been "labelled" late too many times. Time to enact all plans of future revenue, right now. No better time than right now.

  4. #4
    frigginregan is offline
    Member
    frigginregan's Avatar
    Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 83
    Exactly. They are moving in slooooow motion. Where is the excitement? Where is the enthusiasm?

    The merger is what? Over a YEAR old already? And they JUST got on the iphone? What the F is up with the foot dragging? It's almost as if they are doing this on purpose.

    Case in point. You don't have to have a Harvard Business degree to figure out that the internet is where everything is moving. And YET....Sirius has done NOTHING to counter the Slacker/Pandora threat. It's maddening. Especially when Sirius could take ONE SIMPLE ACTION that would steal back the thunder and make Slacker and Pandora no longer a threat. ONE ACTION.

    All Sirius has to do is add a Slacker/Pandora feature on their iphone/internet app that lets people create their own radio stations!!!!

    THis SIMPLE action would INSTANTLY render Pandora and Slacker impotent. Sirius could steal back all those listeners, because Sirius would then have it all. There would be NO reason to download the other programs.

    And the beauty of it, is that Sirius can mimic slacker and Pandora, but Slacker and Pandora could NEVER imitate what Sirius has.

    SO WHY THE F'in HELL DOESN'T MEL and COMPANY DO THIS?????

    Pisses me off how F'in SLOW they are to tap into what the youth is doing, and what direction the market is going in. What are they? Morons? Or is it something more sinister? Is Mel purposely trying to keep this stock down in the dumps???? Because I can't for the life of me figure out why they keep refusing to take the simple actions that the average investor can see that would lift this stock out of the dumpster and into the stratosphere.

    ARGH!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Siriusowner is offline
    Addict
    Siriusowner's Avatar
    Joined: Nov 2008 Location: The Oil Patch, Texas Posts: 922
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Future is now. Nope. They have already been "labelled" late too many times. Time to enact all plans of future revenue, right now. No better time than right now.
    I am not sure you understood. Strategically is not the right thing to do right now when there's too much untapped potential in the core business. Maybe in 10 years and who knows, it will depend on the markets.

    They will be like the dog with food in his mouth and then sees his reflection in a river.... What do you think the dog did ?

    Most businesses fail because they indeed fail to recognize its core business. In other words, they try to wear too many hats and be everything for everybody. Onstar falls within the realms of security systems and insurance, do you see direct TV providing that ?

    I see the in car Sat TV as the next big thing for Sirius and I think they have identified it and are pursuing it. I think slowly but surely is the way to go.

    What they have not done is tap the markets in Europe, Asia or even Latin America. I'd tap them in that order.
    Last edited by Siriusowner; 07-22-2009 at 09:30 AM.

  6. #6
    sxminvestor is offline
    Did anyone else see that Chrysler is doubling the $ for the cash for clunkers incentive - came across wires today on CNBC.

    This would help 3rd quarter. You have to believe 3rd & 4th Q will be much better with GM and Chrysler liquidating the cars in inventory to make room for the 2010 models. To a certain extent this should be true for all.

  7. #7
    frigginregan is offline
    Member
    frigginregan's Avatar
    Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 83
    SXMinvestor....I hear ya. And yeah, one "should" believe this to be the case. But with Sirius, you never know. As a long suffering long, It never ceases to amaze me how things never seem to pan out the way they "SHOULD".

    When all logic dictates otherwise, Sirius always manages to end up not following logic. It started with the post merger "POP" that should have come....and the sickening plunge to .05 cents.

    The average investor can never seem to catch a break or get ahead with this stock. Even tho I managed to average down from my original pps of $6.50 to under $1....Sirius and it's manipulators always ensured that I'd always be left in the dust holding the bag.

    At this point, all I can do is wait. It is also why I can no longer get excited about anything on the horizon. So as much as what you say is true....and that this news "SHOULD" benefit Sirius....LOL....I cannot seem to hold out any hope.

    Call it a defense mechanism. But I along with so many others have been burned so many times with this stock, that I refuse to get excited or expect ANYTHING anymore.

    I've become a cold emotionless machine. Which ironically may just be the thing that saves me. Because the powers that be, the manipulators out there KNOW all too well the emotions involved with this equity, and they EXPLOIT it time and time again. All the articles and posts and misinformation is DESIGNED to prey on these emotions and to USE them to their advantage.

  8. #8
    TSavery is offline
    Head Honcho
    TSavery's Avatar
    Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 524
    The biggest issue is that the current radios are not able to be two way communication devices. They are receivers only. Because of that, Onstar like services necome impossible through these devices. The sats have uplink capability....it is how they get the music....but they do not have it from the cars.

    Implementation of services such as onstar can happen, but it takes time to get it into the channel. Lojack type services would require the radio to transpond, or the sat to be able to locate a specific radio. Neither is possible at the moment.

    This is why I say these services are two years away at a minimum.

    Sirius, back in 2003, was already discussing services such as unlocking your car. This aspect is not new. It just has not been implemented. New revenue streams could include things that consumers can receive. Data packets that give movie info, etc. are possible. They already get maps and weather info, adding to that is quite possible.

    A service such as local gas prices, movies, restaraunts, etc. is very possible now. The question is whether there will be a demand for it. Most can now get that type of info free over their cell phone.
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

  9. #9
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by frigginregan View Post
    Exactly. They are moving in slooooow motion. Where is the excitement? Where is the enthusiasm?

    The merger is what? Over a YEAR old already? And they JUST got on the iphone? What the F is up with the foot dragging? It's almost as if they are doing this on purpose.

    Case in point. You don't have to have a Harvard Business degree to figure out that the internet is where everything is moving. And YET....Sirius has done NOTHING to counter the Slacker/Pandora threat. It's maddening. Especially when Sirius could take ONE SIMPLE ACTION that would steal back the thunder and make Slacker and Pandora no longer a threat. ONE ACTION.

    All Sirius has to do is add a Slacker/Pandora feature on their iphone/internet app that lets people create their own radio stations!!!!

    THis SIMPLE action would INSTANTLY render Pandora and Slacker impotent. Sirius could steal back all those listeners, because Sirius would then have it all. There would be NO reason to download the other programs.

    And the beauty of it, is that Sirius can mimic slacker and Pandora, but Slacker and Pandora could NEVER imitate what Sirius has.

    SO WHY THE F'in HELL DOESN'T MEL and COMPANY DO THIS?????

    Pisses me off how F'in SLOW they are to tap into what the youth is doing, and what direction the market is going in. What are they? Morons? Or is it something more sinister? Is Mel purposely trying to keep this stock down in the dumps???? Because I can't for the life of me figure out why they keep refusing to take the simple actions that the average investor can see that would lift this stock out of the dumpster and into the stratosphere.

    ARGH!!!!!!


    Even if they did all that there is still the fact that people have to pay for it. You can not compare the two services in the same catagory MUSIC. and expect SIRIXM a pay service to overtake a free one. In that catagory they are the same. Let me say that again so not to confuse the issue in THAT catagory they offer the same service MUSIC. If people still dont get it then look at it this way SIRIXM is beating Pandora (and most others) in the "talk radio" catagory. SIRIXM is killing Pandora in every other catagory. Is comercial free great, YES. Is it enough for the masses to pay 12.95 plus 3 dollars for the internet up charge, NO. The point of fact is if you are going to try and compare the two this soon, then you could also say that terrestrial is also much better then SIRIXM. Why well because terrestrial still has way more people listening to them then SIRIXM does. I dont think people realize there are still 20 million people that still have rabbit ears and are not using cable/satellite for TV and how long has cable been out.

  10. #10
    Siriusowner is offline
    Addict
    Siriusowner's Avatar
    Joined: Nov 2008 Location: The Oil Patch, Texas Posts: 922
    Quote Originally Posted by TSavery View Post

    A service such as local gas prices, movies, restaraunts, etc. is very possible now. The question is whether there will be a demand for it. Most can now get that type of info free over their cell phone.
    Once again, I thought Sirius core business was media broadcasting. A service like the above can be provided through the internet. Sirius should strive to provide internet access thru its receivers and indeed charging extra for that access.

    The stand alone service of providing gas prices, movies, restaurants, etc... could be a step towards providing that internet access but I would go for the homerun right away. Especially since new cars are already coming out with that potential. In other words SIRI is already missing the boat there and here we are talking about a service that has a player already in the market (Onstar) and is not even part of the core business.

    Sirius should expand, I agree... BUT first let them explore Sat TV, Internet, integration (like SMART WIFI & bluetooth receivers), even GPS, etc... Onstar is a service that has nothing to do with entertainment and media broadcasting. Leave Onstar for now, again that is a totally different market. I know.

    I honestly hope SIRIUS is no longer wasting time looking into how to unlock a car and stuff like that. If they are then so be it, but that's one sure way of sinking the boat.
    Last edited by Siriusowner; 07-22-2009 at 10:03 AM.

  11. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •