Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: That's it! RIAA ups sub fees $2/mo + $1 for each receiver

  1. #1
    janstett is offline
    Junior Member
    janstett's Avatar
    Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 10

    That's it! RIAA ups sub fees $2/mo + $1 for each receiver

    Just got this by email entitled "Important Information about your Sirius Account":

    Quote Originally Posted by email
    Thank you for being a SIRIUS subscriber. We are dedicated to providing our subscribers with the best programming and listener experience available on radio today. As part of this commitment, we have an important update regarding your SIRIUS subscription.

    Music royalty rights were established by the U.S. Congress as part of the Copyright Act. This Act requires payment of copyright music royalties to recording artists, musicians and recording companies who hold copyrights in sound recordings.

    These royalties have recently increased dramatically, principally as a result of a decision made by the Copyright Royalty Board, which is designated by the Library of Congress to set royalty rates for sound recordings. Beginning on July 29, 2009, a “U.S. Music Royalty Fee” of $1.98/month* for primary subscriptions and $.97/month* for multi-receiver subscriptions will be effective upon your next renewal. This fee will be used directly to offset increased payments from SIRIUS XM to the recording industry.

    Unfortunately, we cannot control the Copyright Royalty Board's rate increase, but we can offer you ways to save on your subscription. The longer your subscription, the more you save!
    That is IT. Skyrocketing fees, lowered quality and variety. Botched product launches. No Stern on the iPhone. Charging for the internet stream. And now this.

    I think I've just about had it. I'm done.

    Let's see, I have my sub ($12.95), my wife on the 2nd receiver ($6.95), premium internet ($2.99), Best of XM ($3.99 or did they lower it?), and now these additional fees will add on another $3. I'm paying $30/month for what started out at $13 a month. For a product that's getting worse. To hell with it.

  2. #2
    denb45 is offline
    Enthusiast
    denb45's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Location: Albuquerque, NM Posts: 181
    Quote Originally Posted by janstett View Post
    Just got this by email entitled "Important Information about your Sirius Account":



    That is IT. Skyrocketing fees, lowered quality and variety. Botched product launches. No Stern on the iPhone. Charging for the internet stream. And now this.

    I think I've just about had it. I'm done.

    Let's see, I have my sub ($12.95), my wife on the 2nd receiver ($6.95), premium internet ($2.99), Best of XM ($3.99 or did they lower it?), and now these additional fees will add on another $3. I'm paying $30/month for what started out at $13 a month. For a product that's getting worse. To hell with it.
    This fee won't apply for the XMRO or SRI-online, also, on your 2nd radio, the fee will only be .97 cents ,Get a Lifetime sub before July 29th, 2009 and and lock-in ,and you'll never have to pay for the $1.98 EVER
    Last edited by denb45; 07-17-2009 at 01:28 PM.

  3. #3
    janstett is offline
    Junior Member
    janstett's Avatar
    Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by denb45 View Post
    This fee won't apply for the XMRO or SRI-online, also, on your 2nd radio, the fee will only be .97 cents ,Get a Lifetime sub before July 29th, 2009 and and lock-in ,and you'll never have to pay for the $1.98 EVER
    It won't apply for online listening -- yet.

    There was a time when we didn't have to pay for online access at all. Then it became an option to get premium. Now you have to pay for it to get it at all. No guarantees the online portion won't go up too (and I don't think we can do a lifetime payment for that, can we?).

    I guess you're right, if you're going to stick with it, now is the time to do a lifetime sub. But this is the last straw or close to it, I don't know if I'm going to stay. IMO it's always been a pain paying for extra radios there should be one account per household. My wife, the 2nd radio, is a sportster and it's starting to act up and may need replacing. With Sirius' wonky hardware, your lifetime sub is lost if you replace the radio (or it dies).

    Then the insult of the Best of XM, why don't we have one lineup, the same lineup, on both services? (A: because they want hardcore fans to subscribe twice).

    I just don't know if I'm up for this anymore. Let me cool off and think about it.

  4. #4
    Qsela34 is offline
    Junior Member
    Qsela34's Avatar
    Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 8
    With Sirius' wonky hardware, your lifetime sub is lost if you replace the radio (or it dies).
    Wrong...You can transfer your lifetime sub up to 3 times. Each time you have to pay a fee($75 i think), but so what...I have had my sportster replay now for a little over three years, maybe I am lucky, or maybe it is a quality product. I have had to replace the antenna about 5 times though. I guilted the installer at Best Buy to replace it the first 3 times for free, and then had to bite the bullet and buy the last 2 cuz he switched jobs.
    Either way the lifetime subscription is the way to go.

  5. #5
    just sirius is offline
    Mentor
    just sirius's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Location: San Antonio Posts: 1,180
    Janstett

    Janstett...yes you are paying $30...thats not siriusxm fault...you added the 6.99 plus the 2.99 premium internet feed plus 3.99 best of...they did not twist your are (maybe they did) Also, the royalty board does not govern the internet...the internet price of 2.99 is to cover the royalties for the artist...however, if you lock into a lifetime sub with best of...you are guranteed no additonal charge ever for the life of three radios. I would try to get Siriusxm to throw a replacement radio for your wife sportster when you lock in your lifetime sub. then you have the life of 3 radios before you would ever have to worry about any additional fees.

    If for some strange reason...and eventually siriusxm has to begin charging alittle extra for internet royalty fees...you will be billed the 1-2 dollars only! Just my opinion!

  6. #6
    janstett is offline
    Junior Member
    janstett's Avatar
    Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by just sirius View Post
    Janstett...yes you are paying $30...thats not siriusxm fault...you added the 6.99 plus the 2.99 premium internet feed plus 3.99 best of...they did not twist your are (maybe they did)
    Death by a thousand cuts. Yes they didn't twist my arm (well technically they did, raising the rates and then taking away "free" internet streaming). And I'll reiterate, which Sirius and XM merged, there should be one single best-of-both lineup on both services, IMO. Why do you think they chose to set things up the way they are now? Again what started out as a $12.95/mo service has ballooned to $30 and really I just don't need it.

    But anyway I'm free to cancel if I decide to. Well, actually not, I think I signed up for a year when BoXM came out. So when that year is up I may bail.

    Or I could ditch the hardware receivers and just stay on board with internet only streaming for that original $12.95/mo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Qsela34 View Post
    Wrong...You can transfer your lifetime sub up to 3 times. Each time you have to pay a fee($75 i think), but so what...I have had my sportster replay now for a little over three years, maybe I am lucky, or maybe it is a quality product. I have had to replace the antenna about 5 times though. I guilted the installer at Best Buy to replace it the first 3 times for free, and then had to bite the bullet and buy the last 2 cuz he switched jobs.
    Either way the lifetime subscription is the way to go.
    That's not what they say in their own text.

    When I select my plan in "my account":

    Lifetime Plan
    1101
    $499.99
    A plan for the lifetime of your radio. Restrictions apply. See Terms and Conditions



    And then in the terms and conditions PDF, you are vindicated (for portable receivers only):


    9. Lifetime Subscription Plan: A "Lifetime Subscription" is one that continues for the life of the
    Receiver equipment.
    A Lifetime Subscription is not transferable if it is associated with a Receiver
    installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer in a vehicle, except in the event the original
    Receiver associated with that Lifetime Subscription is stolen, accidentally damaged or if, in the
    sole discretion of SIRIUS XM Radio Inc., it is defective. A Lifetime Subscription associated with a
    home, portable, or dock & play Receiver is transferable from one Receiver to another Receiver, up
    to a maximum of three (3) times.
    Each permitted transfer of a Subscription is subject to a transfer
    fee. If you transfer a Lifetime Subscription from one Receiver to another or from one person to
    another, you will be charged a transfer fee. The current transfer fee is set forth in these Terms. No
    transfer fee will be charged for the transfer of a Lifetime Subscription associated with a Receiver
    installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer if, in the sole discretion of SIRIUS XM Radio
    Inc., the Receiver is defective. Lifetime Subscriptions are nonrefundable. You may cancel a
    Lifetime Subscription but if you cancel during the first year of service you will be charged a
    cancellation fee set forth in these Terms.
    Last edited by janstett; 07-17-2009 at 06:52 PM.

  7. #7
    denb45 is offline
    Enthusiast
    denb45's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Location: Albuquerque, NM Posts: 181
    Quote Originally Posted by janstett View Post

    But anyway I'm free to cancel if I decide to. Well, actually not, I think I signed up for a year when BoXM came out. So when that year is up I may bail.
    Actually, the 1 yr. sub, can be canceled, they will just credit back to you, what's left on it........just in case you didn't know that, now you do for example, If I buy a Mirge radio, they will use my Sportster 5 1 yr. sub I already have on that, or add it to a 2nd sub, or cancel the Sportster 5 and transfer & apply that to my Mirge......I called Sirius today, and ask them about this, and this is what the very nice CSR told me, if I do buy that Mirge radio........of course, I'd still have to pay the difference for the All-in-One service that comes with the Mirge, I'd just get the credit of the 1 yr. Sirius Everything I have now....
    Last edited by denb45; 07-17-2009 at 07:29 PM.

  8. #8
    just sirius is offline
    Mentor
    just sirius's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Location: San Antonio Posts: 1,180
    Janstett

    Your subscription cost is still 12.95 has not changed...yes 1.98 will be added when your sub renews! Again with a lifetime sub...you avoid all fee increases as long as you re-up before the 29th I believe...

    Your pissed becasue they took away something that did not cost you a dime...but cost them about $2 per internet listener(subscriber)...Your 12.95 sub fee was actually 10.95. How long have you been sirius subscriber...You have never had a price increase...never...period...because Sirius never has had a price increase. BTW the 2.99 fee also gives you significant sound quality improvements!

    It boils down to this...do you like the service...if yes...you have three options...1. do nothing and incur the royalty fee...2. Buy a lifetime sub and lock in guranteed never pay again (pays for itself just over three years)...3. scale back...drop the second sub...or internet feed...

    If your pissed about all of this on principles alone...you'd better cancel you internet connection, your cable or satelitte TV, your cell phone, your electricity, your water...because they all contain fees...simple as that!

    Balls in your court...Not meaning to sound pissy...just don't understand all of the complaints about the royalty fee!

  9. #9
    denb45 is offline
    Enthusiast
    denb45's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Location: Albuquerque, NM Posts: 181
    Quote Originally Posted by just sirius View Post
    Janstett

    Your subscription cost is still 12.95 has not changed...yes 1.98 will be added when your sub renews! Again with a lifetime sub...you avoid all fee increases as long as you re-up before the 29th I believe...

    Your pissed becasue they took away something that did not cost you a dime...but cost them about $2 per internet listener(subscriber)...Your 12.95 sub fee was actually 10.95. How long have you been sirius subscriber...You have never had a price increase...never...period...because Sirius never has had a price increase. BTW the 2.99 fee also gives you significant sound quality improvements!

    It boils down to this...do you like the service...if yes...you have three options...1. do nothing and incur the royalty fee...2. Buy a lifetime sub and lock in guranteed never pay again (pays for itself just over three years)...3. scale back...drop the second sub...or internet feed...

    If your pissed about all of this on principles alone...you'd better cancel you internet connection, your cable or satelitte TV, your cell phone, your electricity, your water...because they all contain fees...simple as that!

    Balls in your court...Not meaning to sound pissy...just don't understand all of the complaints about the royalty fee!
    when I pay for a song and download that song, I pay the .99 cents for it, and put it on a CD......I don't understand all of the complaints about the royalty fee! I have a 1 yr. sub and next yr, if I choose to re-new so be it ,and I'm OK with this Royalty fee, just like I was with the $2.99 XMRO, if I end up paying for it, SO WHAT! that $1.98 isn't gonna break-the-bank for me
    Last edited by denb45; 07-17-2009 at 08:20 PM.

  10. #10
    fm no more is offline
    Junior Member
    fm no more's Avatar
    Joined: May 2009 Posts: 27
    Cancel I did and have not really looked back . They do have good talk shows on sirius fm but i can find them on the internet for free and load them on my mp3 player with all the comercials edited out . Or if I'm at work I have pirate streams for Howard 100 and the Virius and they are free ! As far as th music goes Sirius Fm sucks and thats what i use Pandora and Slacker for , in my car the ipod with 5,000 songs and my playlists is used . Sirius had a good thing going in the beggining but they have turned to shit over the last 3 years . Cancel my friend and you will find in no time at all that you are not missing anything .

  11. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •