Page 4 of 4 ... 234
    Addict
    07-21-2009, 10:29 AM #31
    Have Govt get out of the way? That is how we got derivatives and the
    collapse of the world financial system.
    8 years of getting Govt out of the way brought us to where are.

07-21-2009, 09:56 PM #32
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd Handwerker View Post
    No mention of Insurance companies? Priceless
    It is called Health care INSURANCE.
    Even Insurance companies are negotiating with the Obama administration.
    You want to stop programs that the overwhelming % of people and
    experts believe are working pretty well. Priceless.

From what i understand there is NO single payer program being discussed.
    So why talk about it?
    Personally i favor a single payer program.
    You wanted my solution, oh, yeah, repeal social security too.

Allow insurance companies to compete through the interstate commerce clause. Meaning if the state you live in does not offer the policy you like, you can go shopping in other states to buy a better policy. That would create competition.
    This health care bill is a single payer program, it makes it illegal to purchase private insurance if you lose or switch jobs. It pulls everyone under a single government run program.
    So thats why I brought it up, clearly you have no clue what is going on.

So your in favor of a single payer program, then we agree to disagree.

07-21-2009, 10:03 PM #33
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd Handwerker View Post
    Have Govt get out of the way? That is how we got derivatives and the
    collapse of the world financial system.
    8 years of getting Govt out of the way brought us to where are.
    So the community reinvestment act, and fannie may, freddie mac, not to mention the Fed, had nothing to do will creating a housing bubble. Or any market bubble for that matter.

This goes back farther than 8 years, it goes back to the carter years.

Mentor
    07-21-2009, 11:20 PM #34
    Quote Originally Posted by dread View Post
    So the community reinvestment act, and fannie may, freddie mac, not to mention the Fed, had nothing to do will creating a housing bubble. Or any market bubble for that matter.

No the bubble got it's start with the Securitization act of 1994..The republican led congress passed this act which allowed mortgages to be bundled into bonds like 30 year treasuries and traded like hot commodities..

Now why you say would a republican led congress agree to this,well it is because they reformed welfare and balanced the budget and actually started to pay off the deficit,so the treasury had to cancel auctioning off all 20 and 30 year notes because there was no debt to sell and Hence the rich here and abroad had no safe haven for their money,so they said well mortgages are at 8% and pretty safe,lets bundle them like 30 year treasuries and sell thenm like todays ETF's...Worked great until greed and subprime started winding up mixed in with prime loans at better interest rates,those greedy bastards just said let someone else get stuck with the bad loans we'll just sell them off instead of holding the mortgage..hence our problem bubble..

Addict
    07-21-2009, 11:42 PM #35
    You wanted my solution, oh, yeah, repeal social security too.

Allow insurance companies to compete through the interstate commerce clause. Meaning if the state you live in does not offer the policy you like, you can go shopping in other states to buy a better policy. That would create competition.
    This health care bill is a single payer program, it makes it illegal to purchase private insurance if you lose or switch jobs. It pulls everyone under a single government run program.
    So thats why I brought it up, clearly you have no clue what is going on.

So your in favor of a single payer program, then we agree to disagree.
    The health care bill being proposed is not a single payer program. I should know i support one. Just google it. "its pulls everyone under a single run govt program" No it allows for competition between private and public programs. That is why it is referred to in all articles as a public OPTION.

Addict
    07-21-2009, 11:56 PM #36

I dont disagree that there were many people over many years who bear responsibility for the mess we are in. It is quite complex obviously. However there were people (Warren Buffett, George Soros, and Nouriel Roubini) who were warning of a housing bubble who were laughed at. Bush and the Republican Party opposed regulating the mortgage industry and pushed home ownership as the centerpiece of his domestic policy. I mentioned derivative trading because I have read that it bears a large responsibility for bringing the world's banking system to its knees.

Page 4 of 4 ... 234