Page 1 of 3 123
    07-16-2009, 11:01 AM #1

Smile When will FM 5 Sirius new satellite come on line

Last word I read was FM 5 Launch was successful on July 1 and was being tested as it moves to final location. Folks with a southern view for antenna await FM 5. It should also greatly improve portable sirius radio reception.

Enthusiast
    07-16-2009, 11:17 AM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesquito View Post
    Last word I read was FM 5 Launch was successful on July 1 and was being tested as it moves to final location. Folks with a southern view for antenna await FM 5. It should also greatly improve portable sirius radio reception.
    yeah , but, it won't do much for indoor use without a local ground repeater in your listening area I don't even need an outside antenna for XM, but with Sirius, I'm dead-in-water indoors without and outside antenna
    Last edited by denb45; 07-16-2009 at 11:21 AM.

07-17-2009, 04:13 PM #3

Is FM-5 Broadcasting

The signal indicator on my Stiletto2 shows about 2/3 strength from my office. This is new.

From about 10:30Am till about 4:30PM each day, the satellite signal USED to go dead.

Often, so did the Stiletto2... Fire up the Internet radio... Or, turn on an XM unit... Those ALWAYS work well.

So, does this mean that FM-5 is pumping energy?

Hmmm. If so, I thought the signal would have been stronger, but it is quite reliable now, I must say.

Maybe they're just testing at partial strength.

If that bird IS fully on-line... That would be the most anti-climatic end to implementing a quarter of a billion dollar investment I have ever seen. (Not even a SIRI press release?)

Enthusiast
    07-17-2009, 04:22 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mescpa53 View Post
    The signal indicator on my Stiletto2 shows about 2/3 strength from my office. This is new.

From about 10:30Am till about 4:30PM each day, the satellite signal USED to go dead.

Often, so did the Stiletto2... Fire up the Internet radio... Or, turn on an XM unit... Those ALWAYS work well.

So, does this mean that FM-5 is pumping energy?

Hmmm. If so, I thought the signal would have been stronger, but it is quite reliable now, I must say.

Maybe they're just testing at partial strength.

If that bird IS fully on-line... That would be the most anti-climatic end to implementing a quarter of a billion dollar investment I have ever seen. (Not even a SIRI press release?)
    As far as I know, it's only being tested right now, and it will be several months before it go's live, but, Hey, if it is an improvement without ground repeaters, all of us Sirius subs will be happy about that, at least reception wise this good news makes me wanna go out and buy that shinny new Mirge radio, I've been eying for the last few months now........
    Last edited by denb45; 07-17-2009 at 04:25 PM.

07-17-2009, 05:01 PM #5
    Apparently so.

My sat signal just went completely dead. Mr. Stiletto2 is just lying there, saying "Acquiring Signal."

They're probably just teasing me with some tests of the satellite.

My XM unit has full strength signal. So be it.

Enthusiast
    07-17-2009, 05:22 PM #6
    Apparently so.

My sat signal just went completely dead. Mr. Stiletto2 is just lying there, saying "Acquiring Signal."

They're probably just teasing me with some tests of the satellite.

My XM unit has full strength signal. So be it.
    It sounds like you have XM ground repeaters in Walnut Creek, Calif, like I do here in Albuquerque, NM......Yeah, I know just what you mean, last week when I re-activated my Sportster 5, I later found out that the home antenna that comes with the home dock, was a no go, so, I claimed up on my roof, and put up the Sirius magnetic car antenna, on the highest place I could find, and BINGO, I had full bars, and still do 24/7 on my Sirius Sportster 5, having an outside antenna for Sirius with a clear view of the open sky, really makes a difference
    Last edited by denb45; 07-17-2009 at 05:25 PM.

07-17-2009, 05:41 PM #7
    Actually Walnut Creek is up north by the Bay area.

I'm in the Los Angeles area.

But, the XM birds are so damned powerful that the signals come burning thru the walls and make the wallpaper smoke.

Gotta love it.

That's kind of what I'm expecting to happen with SIRI FM-5. It will put out more juice than either XM-3 or XM-4... But... Will it put out more power than BOTH XM-3 and XM-4 COMBINED? I doubt it.

Using the XM 2-0-7 diagnostic utility, I see that my XM unit is getting full signal from XM-4 and a lot from XM-3 as well. The ground repeaters are giving me some signal, but the sats are doing the heavy lifting.

In the past I bought a Terk external SIRI antenna and hooked it into an Echo Repeater. Without it, SIRI in the home was only a sometimes thing. Not reliable.

XM? No problem since day one. Point the desktop antennas toward the south and switch the units on. THen, watch the antennas glow red with the power of the Boeing 702 satellites. Never a reception problem, even deep within my house.

07-29-2009, 12:41 PM #8

Wow Some Actual Information!

When a satellite goes through post-launch maneuvers, there is very little information shared with the public. I finally just asked Space Systems/Loral for more information as to the status of the FM-5 bird.

Here is my Question:

As an avid subscriber to Sirius/XM, I've been following the launch of this satellite very closely. I know we had a flawlessly successful launch and that this satellite is positioned in its orbital slot.

Can you advise as to the status of the post launch maneuvers for this flight? Did the Harrison reflector open as expected?

When will this satellite begin commercial broadcasts?

Any information is greatly appreciated

Here is their reply:

The reflector opened as planned and everything is on Track. If you want more information you will have to contact Sirius XM.

Having the reflector open cleanly is a relief. Sometimes those things get hung up.

Good Stuff... I wonder if SIRI will share any information. We'll see.

--Mark

07-29-2009, 01:35 PM #9
    Fm 5 lmao

Enthusiast
    07-29-2009, 02:32 PM #10
    When a satellite goes through post-launch maneuvers, there is very little information shared with the public. I finally just asked Space Systems/Loral for more information as to the status of the FM-5 bird.

Here is my Question:

As an avid subscriber to Sirius/XM, I've been following the launch of this satellite very closely. I know we had a flawlessly successful launch and that this satellite is positioned in its orbital slot.

Can you advise as to the status of the post launch maneuvers for this flight? Did the Harrison reflector open as expected?

When will this satellite begin commercial broadcasts?

Any information is greatly appreciated

Here is their reply:

The reflector opened as planned and everything is on Track. If you want more information you will have to contact Sirius XM.

Having the reflector open cleanly is a relief. Sometimes those things get hung up.

Good Stuff... I wonder if SIRI will share any information. We'll see.

--Mark
    Yes, but when will it become fully operational, my guess would be several months for now, although I could be wrong.......

Page 1 of 3 123