Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: When will FM 5 Sirius new satellite come on line

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Mesquito is offline
    Junior Member
    Mesquito's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 2

    Smile When will FM 5 Sirius new satellite come on line

    Last word I read was FM 5 Launch was successful on July 1 and was being tested as it moves to final location. Folks with a southern view for antenna await FM 5. It should also greatly improve portable sirius radio reception.

  2. #2
    denb45 is offline
    Enthusiast
    denb45's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Location: Albuquerque, NM Posts: 181
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesquito View Post
    Last word I read was FM 5 Launch was successful on July 1 and was being tested as it moves to final location. Folks with a southern view for antenna await FM 5. It should also greatly improve portable sirius radio reception.
    yeah , but, it won't do much for indoor use without a local ground repeater in your listening area I don't even need an outside antenna for XM, but with Sirius, I'm dead-in-water indoors without and outside antenna
    Last edited by denb45; 07-16-2009 at 11:21 AM.

  3. #3
    mescpa53 is offline
    Junior Member
    mescpa53's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Walnut, Calif Posts: 6

    Is FM-5 Broadcasting

    The signal indicator on my Stiletto2 shows about 2/3 strength from my office. This is new.

    From about 10:30Am till about 4:30PM each day, the satellite signal USED to go dead.

    Often, so did the Stiletto2... Fire up the Internet radio... Or, turn on an XM unit... Those ALWAYS work well.

    So, does this mean that FM-5 is pumping energy?

    Hmmm. If so, I thought the signal would have been stronger, but it is quite reliable now, I must say.

    Maybe they're just testing at partial strength.

    If that bird IS fully on-line... That would be the most anti-climatic end to implementing a quarter of a billion dollar investment I have ever seen. (Not even a SIRI press release?)

  4. #4
    denb45 is offline
    Enthusiast
    denb45's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Location: Albuquerque, NM Posts: 181
    Quote Originally Posted by mescpa53 View Post
    The signal indicator on my Stiletto2 shows about 2/3 strength from my office. This is new.

    From about 10:30Am till about 4:30PM each day, the satellite signal USED to go dead.

    Often, so did the Stiletto2... Fire up the Internet radio... Or, turn on an XM unit... Those ALWAYS work well.

    So, does this mean that FM-5 is pumping energy?

    Hmmm. If so, I thought the signal would have been stronger, but it is quite reliable now, I must say.

    Maybe they're just testing at partial strength.

    If that bird IS fully on-line... That would be the most anti-climatic end to implementing a quarter of a billion dollar investment I have ever seen. (Not even a SIRI press release?)
    As far as I know, it's only being tested right now, and it will be several months before it go's live, but, Hey, if it is an improvement without ground repeaters, all of us Sirius subs will be happy about that, at least reception wise this good news makes me wanna go out and buy that shinny new Mirge radio, I've been eying for the last few months now........
    Last edited by denb45; 07-17-2009 at 04:25 PM.

  5. #5
    mescpa53 is offline
    Junior Member
    mescpa53's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2009 Location: Walnut, Calif Posts: 6
    Apparently so.

    My sat signal just went completely dead. Mr. Stiletto2 is just lying there, saying "Acquiring Signal."

    They're probably just teasing me with some tests of the satellite.

    My XM unit has full strength signal. So be it.

  6. #6
    denb45 is offline
    Enthusiast
    denb45's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Location: Albuquerque, NM Posts: 181
    Quote Originally Posted by mescpa53 View Post
    Apparently so.

    My sat signal just went completely dead. Mr. Stiletto2 is just lying there, saying "Acquiring Signal."

    They're probably just teasing me with some tests of the satellite.

    My XM unit has full strength signal. So be it.
    It sounds like you have XM ground repeaters in Walnut Creek, Calif, like I do here in Albuquerque, NM......Yeah, I know just what you mean, last week when I re-activated my Sportster 5, I later found out that the home antenna that comes with the home dock, was a no go, so, I claimed up on my roof, and put up the Sirius magnetic car antenna, on the highest place I could find, and BINGO, I had full bars, and still do 24/7 on my Sirius Sportster 5, having an outside antenna for Sirius with a clear view of the open sky, really makes a difference
    Last edited by denb45; 07-17-2009 at 05:25 PM.

  7. Ad Fairy Senior Member

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •