06-11-2007, 10:34 AM #1

Smile Installing Sirius on Harley Heritage Springer

Has anyone installed a sirius radio on a motorcycle. I have self powered speakers. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks. Springergal

06-12-2007, 07:00 PM #2
    I could probably guide you through a custom install if you can provide some pictures for me and the benefit of the group. Self powered speaker information like a computer speaker system? or in helmet speakers?
    I have done 12 volt electronics for the past 20 years.

Do you have ther sirius equipment already or are you trying to work with a tuner you already have?

Tell me about how you ride, and the stations you like to listen to. I ask this, because I like Bubba the love sponge but I certainly wouldn't like to see the horror on the childrens faces as I pull up along side a the minivan they sit in.

Head Honcho
    06-12-2007, 09:41 PM #3

Give TSS-Radio A Call

This is not a plug, but an answer that may help you with your options. TSS Radio sells many kits and adapters that simply are not easy to find. If he does not have the required item in stock, he can put his hands on it fast, or point you in the right direction.

Take s50-Rocks up on his offer, and between getting the hardware, and some installation tips you will be good to go.

TSS is at www.tss-radio.com
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

06-13-2007, 01:14 AM #4
    We have a few things that we offer that come in handy for people who have motorcycles. One is the mounts that bracketron offers for motorcycles.

Here is the one to mount a Satellite Radio on a Harley.
    http://www.tss-radio.com/motorcycles...9_296_298.html

As far as a whole kit is concerned this new Motorcycle Install Kit is super helpful and it's very popular.
    http://www.tss-radio.com/professiona...k1-p-4430.html

It pretty much works with the newer SIRIUS Plug and Play Receivers like the Starmate 3 and 4 and the Sportster 3 and 4 and the Stratus, but if you have a car cradle for say a Sportster Replay that can pretty much work well too. It also comes with these handy Rain Covers for the Plug and Play Radios. It comes with a fantastic mount that not only mounts the radio but also the Short Antenna that comes with it. It mounts on the handlebar and works with a lot of different Bikes.

As with cars the best way to setup the SIRIUS is to avoid the FM Transmitter. A lot of Bikes may have an MP3 or Aux in on the front, if so just use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to connect the audio to your SIRIUS Radio by connecting the cable into the Audio Out, or Line Out. That's pretty much the best and easiest solution.

06-13-2007, 12:26 PM #5
    A direct audio feed is hands down the best choice. Although FM modulators offer a fast universal link to play through any FM stereo, The FM band has been clogged with stations with varing degrees of reception. And it really becomes a competition between a distant high power broadcast vs. the FM modulators low power broadcast competing for the same frequency. Since FM broadcasts don't travel very far, driving over a small mountain range can completely rearrange all of the available gaps between the strong channels causing you to have to reprogram your FM modualtors broadcast frequency for the optium sound quality. It's too much work and it really takes away from the quality and experience of Satellite radio.

One thing to consider is the power connector. I prefer the 12v input units because you can cut the cig lighter adapter off, tap into power easily and select a remote location for a fuse thats hidden but easily accessible without the bulk of adding a seperate cig lighter type 12v socket.

The Display is a factor if you want the unit mounted in sight. On a Motorcycle, I might opt for a remote out of sight location for the tuner. I'd have to look in my bag of tricks but I believe they make a remote control eye extender which would allow for using the remote to control a unit you can't see. Very custom. No Wires to be seen.

Just food for thought

06-15-2007, 10:13 AM #6
    They are amplified speakers I am using.

06-15-2007, 11:03 AM #7
    (They are amplified speakers I am using.)

I understand that part. Most amplified speaker system uses one of two different types of inputs. Either a Mini Microphone type jack or RCA input. Most of the Sirius units have a line out which will either plug directly in to your amplified speaker system. Does the Speaker system have a seperate volume control?

The more I know about what you have, the more I can help. If you have any model #'s, brand names , pictures ect..

06-15-2007, 12:36 PM #8
    I shall get u all the info when I get home as I am presently at work. Thanks so much!

06-07-2014, 09:48 AM #9
    Okay, I have a question. I just purchased TSS's wiring kit for XM radios. My one and really only question is this:

This kit comes with an inline fuse, as it should, however where should the location of this inline fuse be installed? I have an 2007 Street Glide. I'm kind of scared to put this behind the fairing, because if the fuse ever blows out for any reason, it's gonna be a pain to replace. Due to being behind the fairing I will have to constantly take the fairing apart to replace the fuse. Any suggestions?