Page 1 of 2 12
    Guru
    07-15-2009, 06:11 PM #1

New Internet Sirius XM Player

Ok, time to revive some discussion over why we don't have a good Internet player.

This is really stupid that they have not merged the websites and players yet. I guess its a cost saving measure in someway but so is running two websites...

Why hasn't the company struck a deal for Starplayr to re-release the online player.....with lyrics and album cover info.

I suppose this is what that new job posting is for..

07-15-2009, 06:27 PM #2
    The player is looking pretty dated...

In addition to lyrics and album art, I think it would be amazing if they had a "Pandoraish" voting system. If you like the song, you vote it up. Sirius can use this as instant feedback to see what types of songs are liked. I can only stand so much Nickelback ...........

Head Honcho
    07-15-2009, 09:31 PM #3
    I have always been a fan of the voting idea. If they cant reproduce a Pandora like environment (I dont think they will in the near future) then they should allow users to rate songs and request songs right from the player...its a no brainer. Currently they have separate forms and emails to request songs online... why not put a mini form right inside the player so I can give request in real time and in one place. They would improve their programming and increase customer satisfaction with little to no work at all.

I wish someone at Sirius XM would read this... I have a killer idea for the interface and backend to automate the system... and I'm not just another fan with a far out idea... I can actually create it ;-)
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    07-16-2009, 10:36 AM #4
    Charles, if you are Sirius about being able to do some development work, why aren't you contacting them? They have a bunch of positions available it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    I have always been a fan of the voting idea. If they cant reproduce a Pandora like environment (I dont think they will in the near future) then they should allow users to rate songs and request songs right from the player...its a no brainer. Currently they have separate forms and emails to request songs online... why not put a mini form right inside the player so I can give request in real time and in one place. They would improve their programming and increase customer satisfaction with little to no work at all.

I wish someone at Sirius XM would read this... I have a killer idea for the interface and backend to automate the system... and I'm not just another fan with a far out idea... I can actually create it ;-)

Head Honcho
    07-16-2009, 02:29 PM #5
    1. I have a great job.
    2. They have never posted a job looking for my skills (as far as I know)
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

07-16-2009, 09:11 PM #6
    Does anybody here have the Yahoo Widget for Sirius? I do, and it's great. Great looking, no clicking to say your still listening, it loads when I start up my computer...etc. Just wondering.

Enthusiast
    07-16-2009, 10:50 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    1. I have a great job.
    2. They have never posted a job looking for my skills (as far as I know)
    i see. I've just seen you post a few times that you could build something really cool. A lot of places will hire freelancers. just sayin.

I have no idea what your current skill are, but here is a Current Job Listing. Actually, I recall them having 3 positions open, now only 1.

Position Description:

The Senior Application Java Developer will be responsible for the design, development, and support of Streaming Media Services projects. She/he will report directly to the Manager, Streaming Media Delivery and Services. This position includes as major areas of responsibility development, maintenance, and support of the Electronic Program Guide and Program-Assisted Data services.

Primary duties and responsibilities:

• Proven technical abilities on streaming media delivery projects
    • Extensive knowledge of front-end and back-end web development technologies and concepts
    • Strong design and implementation skills pertaining to web applications, database design and rich media applications
    • Robust understanding of Object Oriented Programming concepts and design
    • Knowledge of database modeling, querying, stored procedures and administration for leading database servers
    • Knowledge of industry-standard application architectures, design patterns and technology standards and best practices
    • Experience in designing and developing highly scalable and maintainable rich internet applications
    • Ability to learn and stay up to date on new technologies and trends
    • Excellent written and verbal communication skills
    • Able to communicate clearly and effectively with producers, developers and creative team members
    • Ability to work under tight deadlines and reliably deliver work of the highest standards on time
    • Must be proactive and well organized in order to juggle the needs of multiple clients

Additional duties and responsibilities:

• Follow SLDC methodology including requirements gathering, solution architecture, coding and testing
    • Work directly with Interactive, development, production and creative teams throughout all phases of project lifecycles
    • Design and develop front-end and back-end functionality using web technologies including Java, JSP, Servlets, J2EE, JavaScript, XML
    • Work closely with the Tech Lead and Senior Systems Architect to ensure that strategic objectives are met with the proposed architectural solutions for business needs.
    • Review code and high-level designs by other team members to ensure that all applications meet strategic objectives, coding standards, and departmental guidelines.
    • Prepare and present LOE estimates to management and team tech lead
    • Work closely with team members and QA analysts to develop quality assurance documentation and test plans
    • Follow coding standards and guidelines
    • Consistently use source control systems to ensure quality while supporting simultaneous development projects.
    • Identify, create and maintain development frameworks and code libraries
    • Proactively identify application inefficiencies, and propose solutions
    • Utilize server caching mechanisms and Akamai services for 100% availability
    • Handle 3rd tier support, where business consultation and development maybe required

EPG and PAD focus:

• Provide ongoing support and maintenance of existing channel and schedule data services.
    • Document data sources, data flow, and consumers of EPG and PAD data. Provide and maintain documentation to producers and consumers of such data which clearly defines the input and output and capabilities of the systems.
    • Identify opportunities for improvement, with particular attention to scalability and data quality.

Streaming Media Services Support:

• Review requirements documentation to provide scope and level of effort estimates for project requests from Interactive and IT management.
    • Perform detailed design, development, and testing of changes to the Streaming Media Services applications.
    • Prepare deployment plans, and provide code and configuration deployment.
     Assist QA analysts with understanding application requirements to ensure that proper quality assurance documentation and test plans are created.

Requirements:
    (list required knowledge, skills and abilities, as well as physical requirements, shift work/on-call hours, travel and working conditions)

• Proven technical abilities on streaming media delivery projects
    • Extensive knowledge of front-end and back-end web development technologies and concepts
    • Strong design and implementation skills pertaining to web applications, database design and rich media applications
    • Robust understanding of Object Oriented Programming concepts and design
    • Knowledge of database modeling, querying, stored procedures and administration for leading database servers
    • Knowledge of industry-standard application architectures, design patterns and technology standards and best practices
    • Experience in designing and developing highly scalable and maintainable rich internet applications
    • Ability to learn and stay up to date on new technologies and trends
    • Excellent written and verbal communication skills
    • Able to communicate clearly and effectively with producers, developers and creative team members
    • Ability to work under tight deadlines and reliably deliver work of the highest standards on time
    • Must be proactive and well organized in order to juggle the needs of multiple clients

Technical Skills:

8+ years experience as a developer with expert fluency in the following technologies and concepts:

• Java technologies
    • Servlets & JSP
    • Web application frameworks such as Spring and Struts
    • J2EE
    • SQL
    • Oracle and SQL Server
    • Weblogic 8 and above
    • Apache Web servers
    • Perl or other scripting language
    • XML
    • (X)HTML / CSS
    • AJAX
    • JavaScript
    • Akamai Live Streaming, CDN, and EdgeComputing platforms

Head Honcho
    07-16-2009, 11:52 PM #8
    I actually work with java developers to design our application but I am not a java developer myself. I am more of a user interface designer/user experience expert.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

07-17-2009, 01:25 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsela34 View Post
    Does anybody here have the Yahoo Widget for Sirius? I do, and it's great. Great looking, no clicking to say your still listening, it loads when I start up my computer...etc. Just wondering.
    Yahoo Widget? What is required in order to use it? Do I have to have the toolbar bloat installed? I use the Windows Widget (you have to click to stay active though) and it works great. Is it basically just a link that opens up a Sirius player window in Internet Explorer?

Enthusiast
    07-17-2009, 01:35 PM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDecoy View Post
    Yahoo Widget? What is required in order to use it? Do I have to have the toolbar bloat installed? I use the Windows Widget (you have to click to stay active though) and it works great. Is it basically just a link that opens up a Sirius player window in Internet Explorer?
    The only requirement that I know of is that you have to have to XMRO or SRI-online and be paying the $2.99, not sure it will work on the FREE 32bit
    one, if it does, it may sound horrible

Page 1 of 2 12