Enthusiast
    07-14-2009, 02:12 PM #1

What has been your iphone/siriusXm/att&t experience?

ok, I've had my iphone for a little over a week, and overall I'm very happy. Way too easy buy apps, movies, etc :-) Definitely ready for the 9 hours on the airplane from Hawaii to Florida in a couple weeks.

The siriusxm app for the iphone is a great thing for me to have since we do not get the satellite feed here in Hawaii. It's the one thing that pushed me over the edge to get an iphone on at&t.

Couple issues though... and I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing it. I've heard that AT&T's 3g infrastructure isn't capable of handling enormous amounts of bandwidth usage, and it's something I've been experiencing. During prime time (Like on the way to work in the mornings), the siriusxm feed is cutting out badly or simply will not connect. During off time, I have no issues.

The other issue is battery usage. With everything else turned off (bluetooth, wireless, etc.) I get maybe 2.5 hours of battery when using the siriusxm app. That seems to be excessive use of the cpu. My boss uses Pandora and claims to get excellent battery usage. Tyler you said you use both services. What has been your experience? Anyone else, I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.

Guru
    07-15-2009, 09:29 AM #2
    Using the WIFI to stream will save the battery tremendously, from what ive heard (versus using the 3g)

Enthusiast
    07-15-2009, 10:09 PM #3
    haven't tried that yet, but I use it in the car since we don't get the feed in Hawaii. Not *that* big of a deal, but since the iphone battery isn't user replaceable and loses capacity after a time, I suppose I'm more cautious about using battery intensive applications.

I've got another question, does anyone know how those external batteries work? I mean, If I had one of those hooked up when in the car or in the airport, would the iphone draw from that first? Might be a good way to keep your iphone battery in semi-pristine state.

Enthusiast
    07-19-2009, 08:23 AM #4
    I have the Kensington mini battery. It is about 2" square and plugs into the slot in the bottom of the iphone. It basically provides USB level power so it is ias f you are charging off a USB port. It is rated at 1000 mAH. I use it when I am using multimedia applications so my Iphone isn't dead when I need to use it as a phone.

Kensington also make a device that is almost as big as the iphone. It attaches via the USB cable and can run/charge the iphone and other USB charged devices. It is better for travel as it can be kept in a bag as you use the Iphone

04-01-2010, 03:26 AM #5
    I'm surprised SiriusXM would let something like this happen since they'd be directly competing with SiriusXM mobile devices like the Stiletto.Regardless,I'd be all over it. I can't get Sirius on my work PC.