Page 2 of 4 1234
    Guru
    07-14-2009, 10:14 AM #11
    Really? good to know, thanks. Can you explain why its lagging, is it just because your looking backwards?

Its funny they always have very opposing opinions, never know who's lying.

Guru
    07-14-2009, 10:22 AM #12
    Quote Originally Posted by julietoo View Post
    Romo,

I know first hand, living here in Michigan, just how depressing
    the economy is, regarding the auto industry.

But having said that, there has been some very encouraging
    news around these parts. Many family and friends, who
    are working for the auto companies, Ford and GM, are returning
    to work. And, production has picked up considerably where
    overtime is scheduled.
    My friends at the dealerships, especially Ford's are commenting
    on the increased auto sales.
    Julie
    Thanks for the info on production. Im also in Michigan.

I bought 1 new Saturn and a used F150 in recent months and the dealerships were very busy. The salesman looked overworked and really wanted me to take the cars for rides so they could take a break. Maybe they were shorthanded, but each one was busy.

Mentor
    07-14-2009, 10:46 AM #13
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    Really? good to know, thanks. Can you explain why its lagging, is it just because your looking backwards?

Its funny they always have very opposing opinions, never know who's lying.
    I can. As companies downsize to meet new demands, and demand begins to increase, no company immediately goes out and rehires people. Banks are lending again, but not enough to generate new jobs. By the time they are, those jobs wont fill or be created like magic. It takes time.
    If you owned a company, and you just laid off 100 people to meet shrinking demand, the second the economy gets better, would you rehire 100 people back? Of course you wouldnt. Hence, its a lagging indicator.

Enthusiast
    07-14-2009, 11:27 AM #14
    Man, they have really been fine tuning the final position of the satellite. It appeared to be in not moving Sunday, so e-mailed Space Systems Loral to see if I could assume the reflector had been deployed, but they replied with "Reflector not deployed yet". It's still moving around the 95w-96w and just above and below the equator range.

Mentor
    07-14-2009, 11:36 AM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    I can. As companies downsize to meet new demands, and demand begins to increase, no company immediately goes out and rehires people. Banks are lending again, but not enough to generate new jobs. By the time they are, those jobs wont fill or be created like magic. It takes time.
    If you owned a company, and you just laid off 100 people to meet shrinking demand, the second the economy gets better, would you rehire 100 people back? Of course you wouldnt. Hence, its a lagging indicator.
    The leading indicator right now in this economy is the contract workers,(TEMPS),which the mortgage bankers are using heavy right now instead of hiring new..Wells Fargo took over Wachovia Bank and started whole new mortgage branch with Contract to hire workers...

Guru
    07-14-2009, 11:40 AM #16
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    Watching CNBC last night was rather depressing....A smart looking gentleman expressed similar opinions to what Big Ben was saying and that we won't see any action in the market until the unemployment number reverses.

Nothing matters if we haven't started creating new jobs. Expect to get jerked around in the market until growth in jobs occurs.

Yea you just wait for jobs to come back before you start to invest again and you will find yourself on the slow train to profits. Jobs are and has always been a lagging indicator of the economy. It is the last thing companies do (hire more people).

Guru
    07-14-2009, 11:42 AM #17
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Hes lying. And a bad one. Most smart investors know that unemployment is a lagging indicator. If you wait till then, youll probably miss some of the bigger gains.

Sorry did not see your post before I posted.

Guru
    07-14-2009, 11:46 AM #18
    Quote Originally Posted by otone View Post
    Man, they have really been fine tuning the final position of the satellite. It appeared to be in not moving Sunday, so e-mailed Space Systems Loral to see if I could assume the reflector had been deployed, but they replied with "Reflector not deployed yet". It's still moving around the 95w-96w and just above and below the equator range.

otone, it was already discussed Some said a month. I say at least a month and can be up to 6 months before it can be used.

Guru
    07-14-2009, 11:48 AM #19
    yes, but i think it has to get into position, and then open up, so those are the milestones were watching for, and then they will probably run some tests etc.

Mentor
    07-14-2009, 11:48 AM #20
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    otone, it was already discussed Some said a month. I say at least a month and can be up to 6 months before it can be used.
    They must have moved a sat or something John. Im hearing posters reporting better coverage in some areas. Places they always had problems before are clearer. Explanation?> I know its not the new sat obviously. Or are they maybe testing it right now?

Page 2 of 4 1234