Page 2 of 4 1234
    Guru
    07-13-2009, 08:57 AM #11

Not making big deal?

I swear we were all asking for an article about how Sirius XM had passed Pandora on the Free Music Download list and Charles said we didn't want to draw attention until we knew more info....

now we have a wonderfully large article talking about how Pandora Passed Sirius XM, with zero, yes zero hesitation...im wondering who side who is on here...just saying.

Guru
    07-13-2009, 09:26 AM #12
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmaster View Post
    hey john, whether you realize it or not i highly respect your opinion. im still trying to understand your take on the pandora article. am i missing something here? what is the big deal over this article. my take is tyler was stating his opinion that in order for the siriusxm app maintain a high ranking it needs to keep evolving and addressing weaknesses that show up. if a competing site offers something that we dont have, maybe we can copycat that particular aspect and strengthen our product. thats how i read it. no big deal to me, just an opinion piece.

relmor, john, what is it that you guys see that makes this article a bash towards the siriusxm app? enlighten me please.

Not a big deal really, except for the fact that the main point to it was useless and the fact that some that think Tyler and Charles have some sort of vendetta with Pandora against SIRIXM now have more ammo. This is not to say that the whole article was useless just the main point of it.

Personally I would have said it differently. Maybe something like, Well while it was amazing that a pay service was able to beat a free one the more amazing thing is that it could have stayed there longer if SIRIXM did some other things.

I am not saying they have to be cheerleaders, what I am saying is that the facts should have been put in the correct order. The fact a pay service was even able to over take and pass a free one that has been out for so long already is amazing in the first place. Here is a perfect example of this, did SIRI start to get more subscribers then XMSR when it first came out???? The answer is NO and if not for Stern and because of Stern it was the reason for the PPS to go up and XMSRs downfall from dominance and its PPS started to decline. Why well that is simple SIRI started for the first time to pass XMSR in subscribers. The point of that is it is hard for one service to over take another after it has been out for so long and if the newer company out is ever able to then that alone is amazing. The fact that one that has been out for much longer is FREE and the one overtaking them you will have to pay for, adds a totally new level to the amazement. What Tyler gave us was an opinion that sounded amazed and troubled that SIRIXM did not stay ahead of Pandora. The fact is SIRIXM should have never been ahead of Pandora in the first place.

P.S. If I were Pandora I would be very upset and worried. I would also start to think about changing our business model, maybe thinking free is not the way to go. I mean hell in this piss poor economy we have a pay service passing us in our own catagory (MUSIC), THE ONLY ONE WE HAVE MIND YOU.
    Last edited by john; 07-13-2009 at 09:37 AM.

Guru
    07-13-2009, 09:31 AM #13

Here it was...

http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=171

Quote Originally Posted by siriusbuzz
    In general, as a company...

1. They are free (although I dont care about that)
    2. The online quality of the feed is better.
    3. The ability to customize and cut out the BS when it comes to music.

Make no mistake about it, the Sirius app is #2 for today, NOT overall. Lets just be clear about that. I hope it is number 1 for the next year straight but, I am not going to crow about it until at least 30 days goes by and they can sustain that position.

Would you rather Sirius hold the #10 spot for 1 year or the number #2 spot for 2 weeks?
    We should cheerlead at least a little, why complain that sxm doesn't put out pr's then..

Head Honcho
    07-13-2009, 10:31 AM #14
    Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like I nailed it.

I was correct in my judgment that cheer leading about its quick rise to the top would be silly because its stay would be short lived. What was wrong with what Tyler wrote? Sirius XM is dropping like a stone below Pandora and its not going to recover unless Sirius XM offers something more. If in fact they do offer something more (like Howard Stern) and it shoots back up, I would certainly write about that.

In short...

• Writing about the Sirius app being high on the charts would have been blind cheerleading when we all knew it would drop off after a VERY short run.
    • Writing about the Sirius app dropping below Pandora is warranted because we know that it will not turn around without some kind of change. Which I believe is what Tyler was calling for in his article.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Head Honcho
    07-13-2009, 10:35 AM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Personally I would have said it differently. Maybe something like, Well while it was amazing that a pay service was able to beat a free one the more amazing thing is that it could have stayed there longer if SIRIXM did some other things.
    How was it amazing? It lasted only days and it was because of a new launch accompanied by a HUGE marketing campaign (when was the last time you saw an ad for Pandora? Never?). That isn't amazing... that's par for the course.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    07-13-2009, 11:58 AM #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    How was it amazing? It lasted only days and it was because of a new launch accompanied by a HUGE marketing campaign (when was the last time you saw an ad for Pandora? Never?). That isn't amazing... that's par for the course.

Huge marketing campaign!!!!! what huge marketing campaign are you talking about. You know if I was not here at Sirius Buzz, I would have barely knew they launched it. As for Pandora they most likely dont have the cash to advertise. There is one undisputable fact, free will always be easier to get people to use then paid or are you going to tell me human nature has changed? Has the sky fallen?

Now as to how amazing it is think about this, first off all for both to even be considered on something of the same level, one can only include the people that have a Iphone and also have a subscription to SIRIXM, ok now that we understand that that number is nowhere near the number of people that have a Iphone it gives Pandora a huge advantage. Second fact, for what advertising SIRIXM did it was nowhere near what would have been needed to inform the same amount of people that have known about Pandora because it has been on on the Iphone for so much longer before SIRIXM even came along. Now weather you want to blame SIRIXM for that delay is another debate altogether.
    Last edited by john; 07-13-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Head Honcho
    07-13-2009, 01:00 PM #17
    Huge marketing campaign!!!!! what huge marketing campaign are you talking about. You know if I was not here at Sirius Buzz, I would have barely knew they launched it.
    It was posted by many members here on this very site that you get your news from that there were billboards, internet ads galore, ads in the itunes store, as well as full page print ads. I am sure most will agree that it was the biggest marketing push we have seen in quite some time... maybe ever. I guess you will have to trust me or ask around if you dont believe me. It was staggering.

As for Pandora they most likely dont have the cash to advertise. There is one undisputable fact, free will always be easier to get people to use then paid or are you going to tell me human nature has changed? Has the sky fallen?
    They do have the cash but it isnt necessary because as you said... its free and the word of mouth buzz has been tremendous. That being said, that doesn't have anything to do with my point. Point being, Sirius XM did advertise the world by storm which is why they were where they were for a number of days. The novelty has since worn off... whether anyone believes it or not... it pisses me off to no end.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    07-13-2009, 01:43 PM #18
    Come on Charles, are you kidding me I have not seen one TV ad. So as for it being the biggest marketing push ever, I am sorry I seen plenty of TV ads just last Christmas and that was shitty compared to years prior or even Fathers days prior. I dont consider a few and I say a few because where I live I have not seen one billboard with SIRIXM on it. I think that goes for most areas and the people that live in those areas that post on this blog. As a matter of fact did you see the reaction from the people that posted!!!! They where not saying yea and I just saw one also, it was of boy those that YOU SHOWED me where nice. As for advertising in the print well we all know what kind of situation they are in and there is a reason for it. I will be surprised if in 5 years they are still using paper. As a example take a look at what the Deroit News and Free Press are doing.

As for Pandora having the cash are you crazy up til now they were just trying to stave off bankruptcy. As an example that 35 million they just got was a big deal to them but really that is not even a drop in the bucket when we talk about advertising, Just look at the marketing budget for SIRIXM for just the last quarter as a example.

Head Honcho
    07-13-2009, 01:54 PM #19
    I am not kidding you. I have seen TV ads in the past as well and when I did I never saw the print, online, and billboard ads like I have from this. Maybe because app don't warrant/convert well when presented on TV. I am not sure I can recal a tv ad for a free iPhone app. iPhone apps are talked about in the context of a iPhone commercial but not as a stand alone commercial. Thats not a coincidence, tv commercials for online iphone apps just dont make sense. I am sure future sirius xm tv commercials will INCLUDE mention of the app (I think I have already seen one) but a stand alone app just doesnt make all that much sense.

There have been more then a few billboards and excessive advertising plastered all over top web properties. It was a monumental online advertising push for any company, never mind Sirius XM.

As for advertising in the print well we all know what kind of situation they are in and there is a reason for it.
    They are in the situation they are in because there number have been cut by online news.... not because it doesnt convert. Which is why Sirius XM had major ads in both print and online.

As for Pandora having the cash are you crazy up til now they were just trying to stave off bankruptcy.
    They were not. They were conserned with how they could be viable in the future but they were never in the last hour like Sirius XM was before they were bailed out. You would be surprised how far $10k goes online never mind $100k so, trust me, they could advertise. The reality is... they have no reason to. I wish I could say the same for Sirius XM, that is what I have been asking for, for the last 4 years. Dont spend money on advertising, spend money on making a product so great that there is no need to advertise, that is the best marketing you could ever do.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    07-13-2009, 02:25 PM #20
    come on Charles which reaches more people a TV spot (like the ones SIRIXM ran last year) or all the newspaper, billboard, and net ads they ran just a little while ago. Come on the answer is easy...............Thats right the TV spot. You are right though I have no doubt that just one TV ad cost them more then all the billboard and net ads combined, there is a reason for the extra cost.......because it reaches more people.

As for Pandora, the CEO was just saying last year not that they were wondering if they would be viable or not by next year. He said that they will not have the funds at the present rate to continue operations for to much longer. As for how close SIRIXM was to bankruptcy that is correct and that was with 400 million left in the coffers and one of the reasons I said to people why they are not doing all that much advertising. You see charles when money is tight even 20 bucks is alot to spend with other expenses coming up.

Page 2 of 4 1234