Enthusiast
    07-14-2009, 08:08 PM #1

How do I get 2 Radios, on one Atnenna

OK, here is a project I'm working on, and wanted to get some of your feedback, I have AN XMP3, and a Sirius Sportster 5, both use different antenna's, but I just found out, that both can use the outside magnetic Sirius car antenna I put up on my roof last weekend, along with a 50 foot extension cable (for some reason it will work for both XM and SIrius) and, I wanted to get rid of the home XM antenna

Now, how do I get that one antenna to hook up to both radios? is there a splitter I can buy? and do they even make a BNC-connector splitter (like the one on the end of the 50 foot extension cable) that connects to both radios? I know that they have the RG6-cable-connectors and splitters, but, that seem like it wouldn't work for my situation? what I'm trying to avoid is another 50 foot cable run , and another antenna for XM on the roof, so, if any of you TSS-radio folks can point my in the right direction, I'd be Grateful
    Last edited by denb45; 07-14-2009 at 08:18 PM.

Enthusiast
    07-15-2009, 11:17 AM #2
    This could possibly work for you. Normally, it isn't best to use a different antenna that isn't rated exactly the same for the radio you are using, whether it is Sirius or XM. It is a concern of mine that over time it could damage the XM unit. But there is such a product that exists that will allow you to run two sirius radios off of one antenna. It runs off of RG6 and comes with two connectors to change from RG6 to SMB. Here is a link to the product: http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-home...it-p-4095.html

Enthusiast
    07-15-2009, 12:39 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by my name is matt View Post
    This could possibly work for you. Normally, it isn't best to use a different antenna that isn't rated exactly the same for the radio you are using, whether it is Sirius or XM. It is a concern of mine that over time it could damage the XM unit. But there is such a product that exists that will allow you to run two sirius radios off of one antenna. It runs off of RG6 and comes with two connectors to change from RG6 to SMB. Here is a link to the product: http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-home...it-p-4095.html
    Ok, so I would have to get a interoperable antenna capable of picking up both XM and Sirius service (like an Mirge interoperable antenna) and re-wire everything with what you suggested above, so, I almost certainly would have to run two-50 foot lengths to both Radios for this to work correctly, that is what I was hoping to avoid , also, I haven't yet seen a interoperable antenna (only comes with the Mirge)....oh well, looks like the RG6-route is the way to go, are, I could run a second trek-50-foot cable, and just get an XM-Magnetic-Car-antenna, like, what I'm already doing with Sirius for some reason, the magnetic car antenna seem to work the best outside, over the home aiming ones, could it be that they are a 360 degree antenna's and don't need to be aimed?
    Last edited by denb45; 07-15-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Enthusiast
    07-16-2009, 01:14 PM #4
    It's a possibility. I use a car one on the side of my fridge at home and it works great! Plus its 12 feet from a south facing sliding glass door and I get great reception! Thankfully we have some awesome repeaters here in Chicago.

Enthusiast
    07-16-2009, 04:53 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by my name is matt View Post
    It's a possibility. I use a car one on the side of my fridge at home and it works great! Plus its 12 feet from a south facing sliding glass door and I get great reception! Thankfully we have some awesome repeaters here in Chicago.
    Same here in my area ,as well with XM, I don't even need an outside antenna with XM, we have great XM ground and mountain-top repeaters, located at 11,000 feet on the east side of the Sandia Mountains here in Albuquerque, but not with Sirius, it's reception indoors is problematic at best, Sirius works great with an outside antenna, and great in my Truck.........I'm wondering just how well the Mirge' interoperable radio would work with Sirius, I know that XM wouldn't be a problem indoors, but, Sirius might be tho, due to, NO Sirius ground repeater systems here in my area.............this rises another concern? what would XM be like in my Area without the ground repeaters...would it be as bad as Sirius?
    Last edited by denb45; 07-16-2009 at 05:11 PM.