06-27-2009, 10:15 PM #1

Lifetime subscription

Okay, folks...

Let the Newbie have it - What are the pros and cons of a Lifetime membership?

Are there any deals to be had out there before i subscribe?

Or should I even subscribe?

Let 'er rip.

Enthusiast
    06-29-2009, 04:31 PM #2
    i can only tell you from my own experience.
    i bot mine back in 2004. paid 500. i am told
    it is good for the life of the hardware - an orbiter
    i picked up from radio shack. someone else
    tho told me that if the thing breaks, all i have to do
    is buy another, and the subscription continues; the good
    thing of course is that i don't have to pay any more
    money; no monthly subscription costs; by now, i would
    have paid the 500 in subscription costs; so i'm ahead
    these days; the orbiter works fine, knock on wood

06-30-2009, 11:10 AM #3
    I just re-upped and went with the lifetime deal for $399.00, when they first offered this you were allowed to change up to 4 receivers I believe. Hope my sportster holds up a while, the remote is on the fritz, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

07-19-2009, 09:50 AM #4
    Cool!

Is anyone aware of any deals? Do they occasionally rum promotions? Or is it 399/499 fixed for Sirius/Sirius w best of XM?

I was hoping to wait and get a deal...I heard the company was looking for more operating capital, and I thought it might be a good risk. At least opposed to buying stock!

Enthusiast
    07-19-2009, 10:01 AM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ardenian View Post
    Cool!

Is anyone aware of any deals? Do they occasionally rum promotions? Or is it 399/499 fixed for Sirius/Sirius w best of XM?

I was hoping to wait and get a deal...I heard the company was looking for more operating capital, and I thought it might be a good risk. At least opposed to buying stock!
    Call them and negotiate with them about a Lifetime plan, you may get FREE 128k XMRO too......you never know, if they don't give that to you with a lifetime
    sub, then tell them you won't buy one, and I bet they'll throw that in, and give you what you want, the lifetime pays for it self in about 3 to 4 months, so, it's well worth it

07-27-2009, 08:35 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by denb45 View Post
    Call them and negotiate with them about a Lifetime plan, you may get FREE 128k XMRO too......
    I had to call a couple of days ago and they did offer me a life-time sub, and it did sound like they were ready to negotiate, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by denb45 View Post
    the lifetime pays for it self in about 3 to 4 months
    That is a complete bullshit.

$12.95 * 4 = $51.80 (old rates) is too far from $399, isn't it?

Folks, before plunging into those life time subs, why don't you read this:
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_...cs/sirius.html

and I'd especially quote this post:
    Initially I was not interested since the lifetime subscriptions are tied to the radio. They told me that was the case however you are allowed three transfers. I had my current radio since 2005 and it was always reliable never gave me a problem. I figured if all my radio's lasted half as long I would still make out in the long run so I decided to go with it.

Well right after my third and final installment on the lifetime subscription my radio fails. I call Sirius and the customer service rep works with me for a few minutes, sends a signal and the radio comes back, I figure all is well. The same thing happens the next day and a different rep tells me I need a new radio, there's nothing they can do. I send an email to Sirius letting them know that I thought the rep should have at least tried to help and not write off the radio without any troubleshooting. I get an email back with an apology and a side note saying that if it's a Sirius branded radio and it's under warranty that there would be no transfer fee. I replied back inquiring about this "transfer fee". I get a response back saying that there is a 75.00 transfer fee plus a 15.00 activation fee!

So, with the lifetime subscription, that's not really lifetime, there are costs associate with the transfers. There was never any mention of additional fees in any of my conversations with Sirius during the whole process of setting up the lifetime subscription. I was left with the impression that I could transfer receiver's 3 times, this is what made this subscription attractive.

And lastly, the way Sirius operates and treats its loyal customers doesn't project a long future for the company. So the question is, why would you invest into a defunct company/product anyway?

7. fotopoulos@aol.com
    10-18-2010, 08:37 PM #7

Lifetime Subscription Problem

My husband purchased a lifetime subscription for several years. He paid $300 for it. A couple of months ago he gets a call from Sirius telling him he doesn't have a lifetime subscription, that they don't have those and they cut his service. !? Any advice where to go to correct this? He trying to find paperwork, but its been several years. I think he's being ripped off.

10-18-2010, 09:42 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by fotopoulos@aol.com View Post
    My husband purchased a lifetime subscription for several years. He paid $300 for it. A couple of months ago he gets a call from Sirius telling him he doesn't have a lifetime subscription, that they don't have those and they cut his service. !? Any advice where to go to correct this? He trying to find paperwork, but its been several years. I think he's being ripped off.
    I am sure he paid with a credit card. Most credit cards have your charges archived online or he could call customer service direct.