06-29-2009, 06:53 PM #1

"Burn spot" on Starmate LCD display...?

A relative gave me their old Starmate 4 last year for my car. I got a subscription, activated the radio and it worked great- crystal clear, no problems... But then, one very hot day (about 120 degrees inside my car), I went to move it from where I had it mounted and it was kind of stuck in place. I gripped it around the edges of the radio but my thumb slipped onto the LCD display and now there's a big old thumb-sized "burn hole" in the middle of the screen and, though the radio still works fine, the display is now useless.

Does anyone know if there's a way to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Enthusiast
    06-30-2009, 06:41 PM #2
    Generally, damage to LCD screens are not repairable.

A possible option is to get a replacement receiver. TSS-Radio would be a good choice but they are out of stock on the Starmate 4. They have the Stratus 5 for $39.95 which should fit on your dock. I would suggest that you check Ebay but be careful that you are not getting a stolen one.

Enthusiast
    07-01-2009, 01:40 PM #3
    Yes, a replacement would help in this scenario. I may have a guy that could repair it, but you would have to contact him by email. The repair may be around $50. PM me if you are interested and I will send you the contact information.