Page 1 of 2 12
    Legend
    12-27-2017, 06:49 PM #1

Annoying words and phrases

We all get tired of hearing certain overused and/or idiotic words and phrases. The Marist Institute For Public Opinion in Poughkeepsie has conducted annual national opinion polls on a variety of topics since 1978. "Whatever" tops the 2017 poll of most annoying words and phrases. "Fake news" is second and "No offense, but..." is third.

For the ninth consecutive year, Americans say 'whatever' is the most annoying word or phrase used in casual conversation

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/1218-wh...ng-word-title/

On this thread we can discuss the words and phrases that annoy us. "We." That means other people besides myself. I don't want everyone to just say "Whatever" and not respond.

I could write an entire book about words and phrases that I'm tired of hearing. In addition to Trump's never-ending "Fake news" mantra, his constant chants of "witch hunt" and "crooked Hillary" really annoy me. I do not like hearing people say "OMG" or "I know, right?" I don't like hearing people describe something as happening "literally" when it isn't literal -- or saying they "could care less" when they couldn't care less.

It drives me crazy when interviewees on news programs begin their response to a question with "So" or "Well, look, you know" or "Well, I mean, look." I cringe when I hear "comfortable" pronounced as "cumf-ter-ble" and "temperature" pronounced as "temp-a-choor." I wonder why weather announcers insist on calling rain "precipitation." I wonder why every new store advertises a "grand opening" when there is nothing grand about it. I do not like hearing "if you will," "for all intents and purposes" and "at this point in time."

Now I want to hear from other Sirius Buzz members. What words and phrases are you tired of hearing?

12-27-2017, 10:04 PM #2
    I do not like "it is what it is." That does not really tell me anything. I also do not like "no-brainer" and "24/7" and "it is a win-win situation."

12-27-2017, 10:26 PM #3
    Another phrase I do not like is "no problem." When I say thank you to people who work in a store or a restaurant, they used to say "you're welcome" and now they all say "no problem."

Legend
    12-28-2017, 12:14 AM #4
    I hate that too. I always feel like asking, "Did I say anything about a problem?"

If I started listing annoying words and phrases in advertising, I could be here all night. Two that I really hate: Almost every print ad for a clock, plate, blouse, calendar or other item adorned with cats uses the word "purr-fect." That word was dumb the first 10,000 times it was used and it will always be dumb.

I also detest all the auto dealers, department stores and other businesses that advertise "sales events." How is it any kind of "event" when they're selling the same things they sell every day of the year?

12-28-2017, 01:04 AM #5
    A lot of customers at the post office like to ask me "Are you working hard or hardly working?" They all think it is funny but I am tired of hearing it and I can not say anything so I just pretend to laugh.

12-30-2017, 09:48 PM #6
    I thought of some more phrases that I am tired of hearing.

Get more bang for your buck
    I wanted to touch base with you
    Throw somebody under the bus
    The fact of the matter
    In the middle of nowhere
    I gave 110%

Legend
    12-31-2017, 01:06 AM #7
    I watch a lot of news programs and I get annoyed hearing that "multiple attacks" and "multiple gunshots" left "multiple victims" with "multiple wounds" and "multiple witnesses" heard "multiple explosions." Why can't news announcers say "many" or "several" like normal human beings? Why does everything have to be "multiple"?

12-31-2017, 02:02 AM #8
    Another thing newsmen do is when there is rain coming, they always say "We are on storm watch." Even if the chance of rain is very low, they still say "We are on storm watch."

01-04-2018, 12:22 AM #9
    Here is another expression I am tired of hearing. Instead of saying somebody is 80 years old or 90 years old, a lot of people say 80 years young and 90 years young. I think that is silly.

Legend
    01-04-2018, 02:11 PM #10
    I find the unnecessary use of "pre-" to be extremely annoying. Ya wants examples? I gots examples: pre-planning, pre-washed denim, pre-shrunk jeans, pre-sifted flour, pre-ground coffee, pre-stirred yogurt, pre-approved credit, pre-installed software, pre-recorded message, pre-taped interview, pre-lit Christmas tree. And then there is the recipe instruction to "pre-heat" the oven. In none of those terms is the "pre" necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12