Page 1 of 2 12
    05-07-2009, 08:07 PM #1

Hairnation vs. Old XM BONEYARD

I figure that Radio Professionals are all about numbers, so here are some numbers that represent how well HAIRNATION covers the “Hair Metal” genre as compared to the way that the old XM’s BONEYARD covered it.

XM’s Boneyard covered 70’s Hard Rock, Classic Metal, Power Metal, Prog Metal, Pre-Thrash, Trash, and Hair Metal. The Boneyard covered “Hair Metal” much better than a Sirius Channel dedicated to just “Hair Metal” and it’s been that way for a long time.

Here are some numbers that back up points. I picked 15 random bands that are played on Hairnation. These bands were also played on XM’s Boneyard. The numbers are staggering and speak for themselves.

(Songs played in rotation)
    Artist:

Autograph.........6(XM BONEYARD)...........3(Hairnation)

Black ‘n Blue.....13(XM BONEYARD)........3(Hairnation)

Danger Danger .....16(XM BONEYARD).....1(Hairnation)

Dokken........55 (XM BONEYARD)....13(Hairnation)

Enuff Z Nuff ....22(XM BONEYARD)......2(Hairnation)

Europe......27 (XM BONEYARD)........4(Hairnation)

Extreme.......25(XM BONEYARD).........7 (Hairnation)

Kix.........22(XM BONEYARD)..........9(Hairnation)

Mr. Big........23(XM BONEYARD)....6(Hairnation)

Quiet Riot ......36 (XM BONEYARD).....4(Hairnation)

Poison.........61 (XM BONEYARD)........17(Hairnation)

Slaughter.......37 (XM BONEYARD)....8(Hairnation)

Steelheart......12 (XM BONEYARD).......1(Hairnation)

Trixter..........6 (XM BONEYARD)........1(Hairnation)

Warrant.....60(XM BONEYARD)..........10(Hairnation)

White Lion.....32(XM BONEYARD).......6(Hairnation)

Winger..........32 (XM BONEYARD)..........10 (Hairnation)

* Nobody expects Hairnation to have 60 Warrant songs in rotation, but 10 are a poor representation of how important they were to the genre. Wouldn’t 20 to 25 songs be more realistic?

* Quiet Riot’s “Metal Health” sold 6 million copies and “Condition Critical” went platinum. Is 4 songs on Hairirnation by Quiet Riot a low number? Quiet Riot has 10 studio albums.

* Europe’s “The Final Countdown sold 3 million copies in the U.S. and Hairnation plays 4 songs off of that album. Europe’s “Out of this world” went platinum in the U.S. and Hairnation doesn’t play 1 song off of that album. The lead single off of that album was #30 on the Billboard singles chart. Europe has 8 studio albums and Hairnation only plays songs from 1 of their albums.

Does this bother anyone?

05-08-2009, 09:58 AM #2
    No wonder I didn't get XM.. their programing sucks... and it's trickled over into Sirius. Hopefully it will get better.

05-10-2009, 10:09 AM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinster View Post
    No wonder I didn't get XM.. their programing sucks... and it's trickled over into Sirius. Hopefully it will get better.

WHAT? Are you serious?

I got XM to get away from FM small minded programming. I guess you didn't. Sirius has ruined a lot great channels.

05-11-2009, 07:28 AM #4
    Unfortunatly since the merger I have been more than disappointed in the way that the selection of playlist has gone from great to piss poor. The BUZZSAW played a mix of so many great songs mixed with daily and weekend specials and now that XM has taken over they are all gone. The Boneyard is the WORSE replacement they could have come up with. The same artists all day and all night. Now don't get me wrong if thats your cup of tea more power to you, but I want to listen to a station that plays it all like The BUZZSAW did. Now there are so many ways to revamp the playlists and not all of them will satisfy everyone but I have written the program directors and the playlist have improved but in my mind BUZZSAW was and will always be the best that SIRIUS had to offer.
    More details on my post "Bring Back BUZZSAW"

05-11-2009, 03:39 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzant77 View Post
    Unfortunatly since the merger I have been more than disappointed in the way that the selection of playlist has gone from great to piss poor. The BUZZSAW played a mix of so many great songs mixed with daily and weekend specials and now that XM has taken over they are all gone. The Boneyard is the WORSE replacement they could have come up with. The same artists all day and all night. Now don't get me wrong if thats your cup of tea more power to you, but I want to listen to a station that plays it all like The BUZZSAW did. Now there are so many ways to revamp the playlists and not all of them will satisfy everyone but I have written the program directors and the playlist have improved but in my mind BUZZSAW was and will always be the best that SIRIUS had to offer.
    More details on my post "Bring Back BUZZSAW"
    Lets be honest here. Buzzsaw was nothing more than FM Classic Rock channel. They had a tiny playlist with a lot repetition and play the small lists of bands over and over. The specialty show were straight out of Hack Radio 101.

The old Boneyard covered everything on Buzzsaw and Hairnation better than either those channels did combined. The old Boneyard went much deeper.

The new Sirius XM Boneyard is nothing like the old XM Boneyard, but it's still better than Buzzsaw or Hairnation.

What bands do miss from Buzzsaw that the Boneyard isn't covering?

05-13-2009, 11:55 AM #6
    I hear more people complaining about The Boneyard that came from the Sirius side of the house.

When I rented vehicles with XM in it and listen to the Boneyard before the merger. I always thought The Boneyard sucked. BTW on an avg. I rent 2-4 vehicles a month throughout the year.

05-13-2009, 01:24 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinster View Post
    I hear more people complaining about The Boneyard that came from the Sirius side of the house.

When I rented vehicles with XM in it and listen to the Boneyard before the merger. I always thought The Boneyard sucked. BTW on an avg. I rent 2-4 vehicles a month throughout the year.

The old XM Boneyard covered more music/genres then Buzzsaw and Hairnation combined. Sirius is all about tiny playlists and playing the "popular stuff". XM was more well rounded.

The Sirius people couldn't handle music that they weren't familar with and the XM people hated hearing same 100 songs every day.

Now with the merger everyone is a little ticked off. A happy medium has not been found yet.

05-14-2009, 02:06 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Markgiv View Post
    The old XM Boneyard covered more music/genres then Buzzsaw and Hairnation combined. Sirius is all about tiny playlists and playing the "popular stuff". XM was more well rounded.

The Sirius people couldn't handle music that they weren't familar with and the XM people hated hearing same 100 songs every day.

Now with the merger everyone is a little ticked off. A happy medium has not been found yet.
    As a longtime SIRIUS sub I don't ever remember hearing the same songs everyday on Buzzsaw, Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind or Hard Attack. I can't speak for Hair Nation because I didn't listen very often. Octane did play new stuff on a heavy rotation.

The song repetition and limited playlists on the rock channels started post merger in my opinion.

05-14-2009, 05:52 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by wblongliverock View Post
    As a longtime SIRIUS sub I don't ever remember hearing the same songs everyday on Buzzsaw, Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind or Hard Attack. I can't speak for Hair Nation because I didn't listen very often. Octane did play new stuff on a heavy rotation.

The song repetition and limited playlists on the rock channels started post merger in my opinion.

You must live in an alternate Universe. I was dual sub and I dumped Sirius, because of the song repetition and tiny playlists on Sirius.

That being said, we both should agree that all these channels need larger playlists and they need to stop programming Rock channels like Top 40 radio stations. We don't need to hear the same songs everyday.

06-09-2009, 05:12 PM #10
    HairNation plays way too much Extreme songs like ''more than words'' and Queensryche. No offense to anyone but those bands are not ''HairNation'' bands. And I could live without Def Leopard 3 times an hour.

Page 1 of 2 12