Page 3 of 25 1234513 ...
    Head Honcho
    06-19-2009, 10:59 AM #21
    I just want to see the contract for myself so bad, it must be masterful. I just dont know how you word it to exclude cell phones when cell phones are just like computers now. If I browse the internet through my iphone over a wifi network then how is that any different then streaming through my computer? I have a funny feeling that it is more then just cell phones but a combination of cell+mobile. That being said, who says I cant walk around with my laptop or better yet, a tiny netbook, and listen to Sirius XM through wifi or even better... with a mobile network card plugged in.

The point being is, you can mix and match all of these services, yet only two of them are legal?

cell phone = cell service
    cell phone = wifi
    laptop = cell service
    laptop = wifi

There are netbooks now all over the place that are far less powerful then the new iPhones as far as computing goes so, how in the hell do you write that contract?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Mentor
    06-19-2009, 11:14 AM #22
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    I just want to see the contract for myself so bad, it must be masterful. I just dont know how you word it to exclude cell phones when cell phones are just like computers now. If I browse the internet through my iphone over a wifi network then how is that any different then streaming through my computer? I have a funny feeling that it is more then just cell phones but a combination of cell+mobile. That being said, who says I cant walk around with my laptop or better yet, a tiny netbook, and listen to Sirius XM through wifi or even better... with a mobile network card plugged in.

The point being is, you can mix and match all of these services, yet only two of them are legal?

cell phone = cell service
    cell phone = wifi
    laptop = cell service
    laptop = wifi

There are netbooks now all over the place that are far less powerful then the new iPhones as far as computing goes so, how in the hell do you write that contract?
    Very carefully. LOL
    Hes lawyer must be brillant. I dont know how, but maybe it was added in the internet deal, that this did NOT include cell phone apps, as it was closer to them being a reality than when he signed orginally years ago. If thats the case, why not just negotiate out the app money at that time. I suppose if you are Howards agent, it makes sense to wait. Then, you can better access how much to ask for. Maybe his agent wanted to see how many apps would sign up without him, using that as even more bargaining power. See Mel, you only got 30000 new subs from the music and talk radio content side. You want to add Howard now for my price?If this is his agents tactic, judging by how many free downloads hit, this MIGHT have backfired a bit. But we wont know until we know how many of those free trials downloads were carried over into new 2.99 charges, or simply a complete new sub altogether.
    Last edited by relmor2003; 06-19-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Head Honcho
    06-19-2009, 11:14 AM #23
    UGH. After my previous post, I am realizing that it has nothing to do with the device itself. Stern holds the rights to his name, likeness, logos, and those channel names. All he has to say is that they can not be used in the application. Don't know why I didn't see that from minute 1.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

06-19-2009, 11:17 AM #24
    Just getting the negotiations over with and guaranteeing that Howard will be with SIRI for the next 5 years will help the stock regardless of his involvement with iPhone app. His potential departure next year is a cloud hanging over this company.

Addict
    06-19-2009, 11:18 AM #25
    [QUOTE=jonpluc@aol.com;37341][QUOTE=underway;37329]You are correct. But, in the end, Howard may kill the golden goose. He's big stuff now, no question. But, his popularity flame is not eternal.Eventually, he'll become less of a draw. It's inevitable with media talent. Sure, they always have popularity to some degree, but all of them peak and then their star wanes.

Sterns been going strong for almost 30 years, im pretty sure he has passed the hes just a fad stage 2 decades ago.

Why would he do that? Assuming that despite the fact he has sold some shares, he is probably one of the largest current single shareholders in the company even still.

His show on E! was E!s #1 rated program.

Do more? You mean do more then bring subscriptions from 600,000 when he signed on to 9 million? (Siri alone) What more do you expect him to do? Hold guns to peoples head and make them buy subscriptions? He does have a gazillion shares that are now worth less then 10% of what they were valued at when Siri paid him in the shares. This is why im guessing he will resign for another 2 or 3 years. He bought a house and a lifestyle based on a 100 million a year income and ended up with far far less then that once you factor in the stock drop.
    I didn't say he was a fad. That's totally different. Some of the American Idol performers are fads. Rock stars with 'one hit wonders' as well. I said he's no different than other big stars with respect to popularity peaks. I'm not saying he's on his way out. But, even he knows he will reach a point where his draw will begin to slide. It happens to every star at some point....obviously, some worse than others. True, his SIRI stock isn't worth much (we're all a member of that club!) now. And, yes, there's always the strong argument that cash in hand is always best. But, there are limits to the cash, and that's my point. If he pushes too hard, and SXM either will refuse and let him walk (not good for SXM now), or, they cave and pay him even more $ and make their financial situation even worse. Tough call. I think a fundamental question I'd want to know if I were SXM management would be how many MORE subs do they think he can draw? Has the HOWARD factor hit a stable number with little sub growth, and therfore, SXM can't get return on huge increases in $ to Howard. And, how many subs will they lose if he bolts? All of them, half of them, what? All tough calls to make. He's got a good gig at SXM. Leaving and starting over has its negatives for a guy like him. He might not want to fail and go out with a whimper. That's a risk, to his money, and more to his ego.

Mentor
    06-19-2009, 11:23 AM #26
    UGH. After my previous post, I am realizing that it has nothing to do with the device itself. Stern holds the rights to his name, likeness, logos, and those channel names. All he has to say is that they can not be used in the application. Don't know why I didn't see that from minute 1.
    Good point. I think the original wording on his original contract was written by a genius lawyer. They set it up that way on purpose to exploit ever evolving technologies that could add value to Howards wallet.
    Lets face it. Even Howard Stern fans know he is no different than anyone else in the world. He wants to make as much money as he can. Nothing wrong with that. Hes proven to be a bonus financially to the company, and he knows that.

Addict
    06-19-2009, 11:24 AM #27
    i tried to tell you to wait a little bit before commenting and knowing all the
    facts but noooooooooooooooooooooo you had to talk and talk and talk.

Guru
    06-19-2009, 11:24 AM #28
    What i don't get and maybe no one heard him say it on his show. The week before the "Turn Stern on" free week to XM subscribers Howard said "I told Mel, why don't you just offer me for free" I don't believe Howard chose to not be on the iphone app unless it is part of a bigger scheme.

The simplest solution is that Mel wants to see how many new subs the iphone app can bring without howard, first. Then how many more once howard is added.

And again, bad publicity is still publicity. How many Stern protests and bad headlines were there when he was on terra? That is what made him "SHOCK JOCK"

Man I can't wait until he is on so we can stop talking about it because this was not an "epic fail" imo, but a cleverly planned free marketing blitz that worked perfectly.

Guru
    06-19-2009, 11:26 AM #29
    90% of americans do not listen to howard stern, but now they know they can get Watercolors, Shade 45, coffee house, live concerts etc etc etc on their iphones....wake up people...PLEASE!

Mentor
    06-19-2009, 11:28 AM #30
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    What i don't get and maybe no one heard him say it on his show. The week before the "Turn Stern on" free week to XM subscribers Howard said "I told Mel, why don't you just offer me for free" I don't believe Howard chose to not be on the iphone app unless it is part of a bigger scheme.

The simplest solution is that Mel wants to see how many new subs the iphone app can bring without howard, first. Then how many more once howard is added.

And again, bad publicity is still publicity. How many Stern protests and bad headlines were there when he was on terra? That is what made him "SHOCK JOCK"

Man I can't wait until he is on so we can stop talking about it because this was not an "epic fail" imo, but a cleverly planned free marketing blitz that worked perfectly.
    Damn, see i like this idea too. Thats POSSIBLE. But money is usually always the answer to any question.
    But I hope your right. I just dont think so. I think it has everything to do with timing. They are right now talking numbers. Mel MAY have been stubborn, and wanted to show Stern that they could launch a successful iphone app without his name attatched. But is Mel that stupid? To risk pissing off Howard? Did I just ask that? LOL Of course Mel is stupid. Or a genius. No in between. The genius arguement however, is lacking evidence right now. LOL

Page 3 of 25 1234513 ...