Page 2 of 25 123412 ...
    Addict
    06-19-2009, 09:33 AM #11
    Quote Originally Posted by noffke3000 View Post
    I've been waiting for this to trade in my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 280K+ miles, but apparently it is a model of fuel efficiency at 16MPG and I do not qualify. (different Fuel standards for SUV's). They won't let me trade in an SUV for a car. Only SUV for SUV and the cutoff is 15 MPG for SUVs/pickups....kind of dumb. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    I read in an earlier article which came out months ago that you could trade an
    SUV for a car. It would indeed be dumb if you couldn't. I will try checking again. Who told you couldn't?

06-19-2009, 09:42 AM #12
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIrishXM View Post
    Good Morning Julie,asnd in one word (Assumed) as in the Mother of all F'ed ups...they thought they wouldn't have a problem with Mobil rights with Howard,obviously they were wrong!!!!
    Personally I find the concept of "Mobile performance rights" ridiculous - radio's have been mobile for a very long time.

06-19-2009, 09:46 AM #13
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd Handwerker View Post
    I read in an earlier article which came out months ago that you could trade an
    SUV for a car. It would indeed be dumb if you couldn't. I will try checking again. Who told you couldn't?
    ....a random few articles here and there....which is why ended with... "somebody correct me if I'm wrong."

Guru
    06-19-2009, 09:48 AM #14
    ur not understanding their use of their word mobile, they are not using it to to mean portable, in this situation mobile refers to CELL PHONES, and im sure howards agent don buckwald is making the argument that howard igets payed to go out over the satellite platform, their is nothing in the contract that gives them permission to play him over any other platform. if its not being beamed out by the sats then its considered a diff platform. yes it may be stupid but don buckwald knows what he's doing, and this howard sternless release and the backlash it had was exactly what don buckwald was looking for.

Addict
    06-19-2009, 09:58 AM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    ur not understanding their use of their word mobile, they are not using it to to mean portable, in this situation mobile refers to CELL PHONES, and im sure howards agent don buckwald is making the argument that howard igets payed to go out over the satellite platform, their is nothing in the contract that gives them permission to play him over any other platform. if its not being beamed out by the sats then its considered a diff platform. yes it may be stupid but don buckwald knows what he's doing, and this howard sternless release and the backlash it had was exactly what don buckwald was looking for.
    You are correct. But, in the end, Howard may kill the golden goose. He's big stuff now, no question. But, his popularity flame is not eternal. Eventually, he'll become less of a draw. It's inevitable with media talent. Sure, they always have popularity to some degree, but all of them peak and then their star wanes. If he dumps on SXM and ultimately causes them serious biz problems (via a back breaking contract renewal), he could lose this platform and find himself trying to go it alone. Remember, his program cannot go back to broadcast radio, so he must go to internet or cable. Some would argue he can do that himself, no problem. True, he can. But, it won't be free, and he will have to risk $ to start such a venture, or, go with someone like Pandora, satellite TV, etc. Who knows. But, the transition may not pull the listeners. If I remember correctly, his TV show didn't do so well. He's not invincible. He should be doing all he can to make SXM successful. He has a lot to gain by doing so. He could make more on his SIRI stock then he could ever make on his talent alone (he must have a gizillion shares as part of his deal). And, he wouldn't have to do any additional work to do so.
    Last edited by underway; 06-19-2009 at 10:05 AM.

06-19-2009, 10:08 AM #16
    Quote Originally Posted by underway View Post
    You are correct. But, in the end, Howard may kill the golden goose. He's big stuff now, no question. But, his popularity flame is not eternal. Eventually, he'll become less of a draw. It's inevitable with media talent. Sure, they always have popularity to some degree, but all of them peak and then their star wanes. If he dumps on SXM and ultimately causes them serious biz problems (via a back breaking contract renewal), he could lose this platform and find himself trying to go it alone. Remember, his program cannot go back to broadcast radio, so he must go to internet or cable. Some would argue he can do that himself, no problem. True, he can. But, it won't be free, and he will have to risk $ to start such a venture, or, go with someone like Pandora, satellite TV, etc. Who knows. But, the transition may not pull the listeners. If I remember correctly, his TV show didn't do so well. He's not invincible. He should be doing all he can to make SXM successful. He has a lot to gain by doing so. He could make more on his SIRI stock then he could ever make on his talent alone (he must have a gizillion shares as part of his deal). And, he wouldn't have to do any additional work to do so.
    Agreed. Wouldn't he make alot more if SIRI was at $10/share.

Addict
    06-19-2009, 10:16 AM #17

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by noffke3000 View Post
    ....a random few articles here and there....which is why ended with... "somebody correct me if I'm wrong."
    My reading of the legislation is that you CAN trade in a SUV for a car, however, if you want to trade in a SUV for another SUV you get $3,500
    if the new SUV gets 2 mpg more and $4,500 if the new SUV gets 5 mpg
    more. Only SUV's or other large Vehicles weighing more than 6,000 lbs.
    have to be under 15 mpg to be traded in. Most SUV's qualify for the under
    18 mpg category.
    Correct me if i'm wrong.

Mentor
    06-19-2009, 10:37 AM #18
    Quote Originally Posted by RunCatalina View Post
    Agreed. Wouldn't he make alot more if SIRI was at $10/share.
    Yes, but money now talks, and bullshit walks. Probably his agents favorite quote when negotiating with Mel. His agent could argue that the stock is never going to be a future acceptable payment option. Take less money Howard, and watch the stock jump!!! Hes probably heard that before, LOL .

Guru
    06-19-2009, 10:53 AM #19
    its funny on sunday i lstened to mastertape theatre, it was fro 2000 when mel and howard both were with viacom and they were renegotiating the contract, mel kept saying howard wanted the s in cbs to be changed to stern, and mel kept saying that every1 gets to listen to howard for free so why should he pay anything for him. ultimately it came down to the last day and they came up with a deal. so what happen when howard actually was leaving cbs, he didnt wait till the last day to tell us, we knew ahead of time so he could plug his next move. imo if the negotiations get intense and they come down to the last minute that is a good sign it shows howard actually wants to stay. You must remember he has the best agent in the business working for him, a guy that howard on occasion gives credit for his success. so they are not going to make anything easy for sirius. you have to remember stern was paid alot in stock, so now that the stock is so low his overall pay is lower, so he is going to want to make that up.

06-19-2009, 10:54 AM #20
    [QUOTE=underway;37329]You are correct. But, in the end, Howard may kill the golden goose. He's big stuff now, no question. But, his popularity flame is not eternal.Eventually, he'll become less of a draw. It's inevitable with media talent. Sure, they always have popularity to some degree, but all of them peak and then their star wanes. [quote]

Sterns been going strong for almost 30 years, im pretty sure he has passed the hes just a fad stage 2 decades ago.

If he dumps on SXM and ultimately causes them serious biz problems (via a back breaking contract renewal), he could lose this platform and find himself trying to go it alone.
    Why would he do that? Assuming that despite the fact he has sold some shares, he is probably one of the largest current single shareholders in the company even still.

If I remember correctly, his TV show didn't do so well. He's not invincible.
    His show on E! was E!s #1 rated program.

He should be doing all he can to make SXM successful. He has a lot to gain by doing so. He could make more on his SIRI stock then he could ever make on his talent alone (he must have a gizillion shares as part of his deal). And, he wouldn't have to do any additional work to do so.
    Do more? You mean do more then bring subscriptions from 600,000 when he signed on to 9 million? (Siri alone) What more do you expect him to do? Hold guns to peoples head and make them buy subscriptions? He does have a gazillion shares that are now worth less then 10% of what they were valued at when Siri paid him in the shares. This is why im guessing he will resign for another 2 or 3 years. He bought a house and a lifestyle based on a 100 million a year income and ended up with far far less then that once you factor in the stock drop.

Page 2 of 25 123412 ...