Page 1 of 3 123
    06-14-2009, 06:45 AM #1

Sirius Internet Radio Sound Issue

Hey all,

Long time lurker here...I searched for this problem, but didn't find it!

I was curious if anyone could help me, or at least confirm that they have this problem as well.

When I am listening to Sir-5|20on20 or Sir-6|POP2K I have random, weird static popping noises. They only happen now and then....but if I am on Sirius XM Hits 1 or The Pulse they are crystal clear with virtually no problems. I also don't seem to have the "popping" problem on other channels. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a problem on my end or with the feeds? Could it be because some are "original Sirius" feeds, and the others are "original XM" feeds?

Also, less importantly...is there a difference between Pop2k on the feeds and the Pop2k I hear in my car? My car Pop2k seems to only play rap music, while the feed Pop2k is more....pop...

Any input appreciated! Thanks!

Enthusiast
    06-14-2009, 08:57 PM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDecoy View Post
    Hey all,

Long time lurker here...I searched for this problem, but didn't find it!

I was curious if anyone could help me, or at least confirm that they have this problem as well.

When I am listening to Sir-5|20on20 or Sir-6|POP2K I have random, weird static popping noises. They only happen now and then....but if I am on Sirius XM Hits 1 or The Pulse they are crystal clear with virtually no problems. I also don't seem to have the "popping" problem on other channels. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a problem on my end or with the feeds? Could it be because some are "original Sirius" feeds, and the others are "original XM" feeds?

Also, less importantly...is there a difference between Pop2k on the feeds and the Pop2k I hear in my car? My car Pop2k seems to only play rap music, while the feed Pop2k is more....pop...

No.....it's not on your end, it happens on both SRI & XMRO, has something to do with XM being located in DC and SRI being in NYC, I now have XM-live on my XMP3, in my Home & in my Car, and this happens on all of the Sirius Channels, I can hear this popping both online & over the Satellites, don't know if SXM is aware of this problem, I sure hope that they are?
    Last edited by denb45; 06-14-2009 at 10:11 PM.

06-21-2009, 08:54 PM #3
    I'm sure they are. I've been inundating them with emails about this the past year but they brush it off as buffering and bandwidth problems. I first noticed it on XM's online stream last summer with Cinemagic but also noticed it a lot on 40s on 4 post merger. I wondered if it was just the original XM channels, but you guys are apparently having trouble with Sirius channels too. If you don't mind, please drop them an email. If enough of us complain they might get the picture and improve the quality.

06-28-2009, 05:19 PM #4
    Hmm....interesting...not to jinx the situation but has anyone noticed a slight improvement over the last few days? I have noticed that, at least, SIR-5| 20on20 has improved. Anyone else noticed this or am I just imagining things!

07-07-2009, 06:37 AM #5
    No, it's still there. I'm beginning to think it is just confined to the old XM channels. I listened to a lot of both internet feeds pre merger as a dual sub and XM stations always had these issues. I was hoping Sirius would make them get their act together once the merger came, but the popping and hissing remain.

Enthusiast
    07-07-2009, 10:16 AM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Penetronn View Post
    No, it's still there. I'm beginning to think it is just confined to the old XM channels. I listened to a lot of both internet feeds pre merger as a dual sub and XM stations always had these issues. I was hoping Sirius would make them get their act together once the merger came, but the popping and hissing remain.
    Yeah it's still there, if you have Sirius and your listening to any Sirius channels, then no, but, I can confirm that I have XM, and when I listen to any Sirius channels it's even worse.........time to fire-up-the-old Sirius Sportster 5, at least when I listen to any Sirius channel on a Sirius radio I know I won't get that problem.........what do any of you think? BTW: my Sportster 5 is still activated when I did turn it on, for some reason, after canceling it back in May 2009, so I'm not complaining about it

Enthusiast
    07-09-2009, 09:38 AM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by denb45 View Post
    BTW: my Sportster 5 is still activated when I did turn it on, for some reason, after canceling it back in May 2009, so I'm not complaining about it
    Well that was short lived after spending about a 100 bucks bying a Home Dock, and a Trek-50-foot-antenna cable, and placing it outside pointing it due north, after about 4 to 5 hours, up pops the activation screen so I call them, and get back everything I had before, this time I went for a year of Sirius-Everything for $124.44, and the CSR was even nice enough to waive the activation fee, and told me "Welcome back"

SO, in a side by side comparison with my XMP3 and My Sportster 5, the Sportster 5 is the winner hands down in Sound Quality, it may not have to nice looking color screen ( like my XMP3 has) but never-the-less it sounds GREAT and with the Sirius antenna being placed outside I getting outstanding reception I get full-bars of SAT-signal, but, I get no Terrestrial signal like I get with my XMP3, and the Sirius antenna didn't work well at all when I had it indoors.........
    Last edited by denb45; 07-09-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Guru
    07-09-2009, 10:13 AM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDecoy View Post

Im not sure if it was pop2k that was affected, but you can check...When the channels merged the old skool rap channel was dropped, then it came back. Someone reported that their radio channel id was still showing the old channel name, check that your radio is not showing pop2k but actually playing Backspin.

Guru
    07-09-2009, 10:18 AM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by denb45 View Post

SO, in a side by side comparison with my XMP3 and My Sportster 5, the Sportster 5 is the winner hands down in Sound Quality, it may not have to nice looking color screen ( like my XMP3 has) but never-the-less it sounds GREAT and with the Sirius antenna being placed outside I getting outstanding reception I get full-bars of SAT-signal, but, I get no Terrestrial signal like I get with my XMP3, and the Sirius antenna didn't work well at all when I had it indoors.........
    Are you using speakers or headphones with your xmp3? Im using the supplied earbuds and the sound is fantastic. If you are using the ear buds, try changing the suppied ear bud sizes. I had to go with the smallest buds and push them until there was a good seal in the ear. The bass if amazing once you do this. At first i thought it was tinny sounding until i did this.

I don't have any popping sounds on my xmp3 and the sound is fantastic, and im particular to good audio.

Also, Check under menu, settings and check your EQ setting. Mine is set to bass boost, that sounds best to me.

Enthusiast
    07-09-2009, 10:57 AM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    Are you using speakers or headphones with your xmp3? Im using the supplied earbuds and the sound is fantastic. If you are using the ear buds, try changing the suppied ear bud sizes. I had to go with the smallest buds and push them until there was a good seal in the ear. The bass if amazing once you do this. At first i thought it was tinny sounding until i did this.

I don't have any popping sounds on my xmp3 and the sound is fantastic, and im particular to good audio.

Also, Check under menu, settings and check your EQ setting. Mine is set to bass boost, that sounds best to me.
    I have both XMP3 and Sportster 5, hook into my Creative Sound Card on my PC, both sound ok, but the Sportster 5 has the better SQ to me, I have my XMP3 set on FLAT, that sounds best to me, however, while I'm using the ear-buds, I have it set to ROCK, that sounds the best to me.........Sirius still to me, has the better SQ then XM, but that's just my opinion, it's different for everyone's ears in what sounds better

Now, if Sirius would get all of the XM channels, that would be SWEET, having the best of XM, still won't get you all of the XM channels, but, I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one, I might turn-blue and DIE, before that ever happens........so, putting my Sportster 5 back in action get's me Sirius Everything, and having the MXP3 get's me XM Everything.....it's kinda like having the Mirage' radio......... well sorta
    Last edited by denb45; 07-09-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123