Page 3 of 4 1234
    05-29-2009, 09:03 PM #21
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIrishXM View Post
    I love it,raise all the revenue you can now,just like every utility and cable company does,anyone here say Monopoly!!!If your going to get a shit storm no matter how much it is,go for the roof,$2 is about right,but it only affects new customer's or month to monther's....
    and people on the fence about whether or not to keep pay radio in this economy with all the other alternatives out there.

Enthusiast
    05-30-2009, 12:09 AM #22
    I love it,raise all the revenue you can now,just like every utility and cable company does,anyone here say Monopoly!!!If your going to get a shit storm no matter how much it is,go for the roof,$2 is about right,but it only affects new customer's or month to monther's....
    Yeah, and we can all thank Bill Clinton and his Admin. for this shit, the deregulation, and the FCC, the DMCA, RIAA, and all of the dam monopoly that all of these companies now have, who can blame them, this is Capitalism at it's very best isn't it look at what SXM has now become...........I saw this happening well over a yr ago. and now it comes home to roost...........I have Direct-TV and they all do the same ole shit ( If they can) just like Time Warner & Comcast, AT&T, just to name a few.........
    Last edited by denb45; 05-30-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Guru
    05-30-2009, 12:40 AM #23

Even I have to say at this time it is not a good idea. While I understand about passing cost on and all you dont do it right after the first increase. This increase should have waited for next year. I fear that this increase is to much to soon. Look I am a reasonable person, I even defended the last increase with the condition that it was the first increase for SIRI and in 5 years for XMSR, but I also said it is not like they just did an increase this year and we are talking about multiple increases here. Well now we are and I cant defend this one.

By the way, it will even catch up to those that have a life time sub because even though it says "life time" how long can 3 radios last. Those people will have to re-up sooner or later.

Mentor
    05-30-2009, 12:43 AM #24
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    What I think is strange is the lengths someone went to make sure everyone knew about this. Not only did I personally receive an email this morning but, it seems like this was posted all over every satrad forum by first time posters (most likely the same person) why? Who benefits from leaking this kind of information to the masses? Why would some employee go to such lengths?

Then again, if were not true... why not come out and say "thats not true" if you are Sirius XM. The whole thing seems weird to me.
    I agree. Something smells here. SOmething doesnt add up. If they are charging even 1.50 per sub a month, that is WAY more money than they would LEGALLY be allowed to collect(unless they can subtract taxes, if this fee is taxable). So many questions right now.... How can their EBITA estimate only be 350 million BEFORE this. Doesnt make sense.
    Im happy if its a year charge, not monthly. With 16 million subs, thats still 32 million dollars a year(gee, around the exact cost of the INCREASE). Maybe they just wanted to cover the increase, not the whole thing.

Mentor
    05-30-2009, 08:53 AM #25
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    I agree. Something smells here. SOmething doesnt add up. If they are charging even 1.50 per sub a month, that is WAY more money than they would LEGALLY be allowed to collect(unless they can subtract taxes, if this fee is taxable). So many questions right now.... How can their EBITA estimate only be 350 million BEFORE this. Doesnt make sense.
    Im happy if its a year charge, not monthly. With 16 million subs, thats still 32 million dollars a year(gee, around the exact cost of the INCREASE). Maybe they just wanted to cover the increase, not the whole thing.
    Relmor and John it's not that much(32mil a month,)it's alot less as lifer's and pre sign ups are not affected yet plus it is alot less for second subs on an account.does not affect on-line or I-Phone..Basically they are trying to force people to sign up yearly instead of Month to month to better budget cash flow and help the keep Churn..It's a smart move on their part and sets the precedent of passing along royalty and tax costs in the future...If someone is sitting on the fence about canceling a sub,we need to know now and let them leave,they probably were month to month and leaving anyway over some other reason..SXM needs to start making money and show the street the benefits of a monopoly's ability to charge more if it wants,investors look for and love that..
    With the auto industry in short term shambles and cost cutting to the bone the only way out is to raise revenue now and get prepared for when it gets better and SXM becomes the promised cash cow it should be with no competition..JMHO
    Last edited by JohnnyIrishXM; 05-30-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Mentor
    05-30-2009, 09:03 AM #26
    Quote Originally Posted by fm no more View Post
    and people on the fence about whether or not to keep pay radio in this economy with all the other alternatives out there.
    I agree,as a customer i hate it but as an investor i love it...From experience Cable and Cell phones and a car are considered necessity's by most people and last thing to get cut,it is a status symbol to most,a reflection of your station in life and content is king...People fell in love with commercial free music and Howard etc and won't go back to FM..JMHO

Guru
    05-30-2009, 09:16 AM #27
    same goes for anyone sitting on the fence about buying a radio...might as well do it now and lock in a rate...I know from experience...March 11th...so I took the place of one fencer who cancelled.

05-30-2009, 09:26 AM #28
    I agree,as a customer i hate it but as an investor i love it...From experience Cable and Cell phones and a car are considered necessity's by most people and last thing to get cut,it is a status symbol to most,a reflection of your station in life and content is king...People fell in love with commercial free music and Howard etc and won't go back to FM..JMHO
    Now days nobody needs to go back to Fm with Mp3 players and internet radio. I used to love Sirius . I signed up for Stern and found the music channels to be badass until my 2nd year, i found that the playlists on the channels i listened to got smaller and smaller so i canceled . I still ocasionally listen to Stern live for free ( I could not beleive how easy that is ) and i discovered Slacker which i listen to at work and home on my computer. When I'm in my car I use my Zune30 that has about 10,000 songs on it with my own playlists and a few podcast's i subscribe to . Another thing i don't have to worry about is Sirius charging my credit card to renew my sub without contacting me(maybe i wanted to change my plan?) This increase seems shady to me , might be legal but still smells bad . I have made freinds on some of the SatRad boards and thats why i still lurk and occasionally spread info around. I think SatRad was a good idea that was run into the ground by people that run it with an Fm mentality and that mentality does not work in the 21st century . There will be no more Wolfman Jack's and Rick Dee's or Kaysum's any longer. peace yo !

Guru
    05-30-2009, 09:46 AM #29
    Quote Originally Posted by fm no more View Post
    . There will be no more Wolfman Jack's and Rick Dee's or Kaysum's any longer. peace yo !

Unless you listen to the 90's channel on sunday then you can catch Rick Deez shows from the 90's, pretty cool really. Hmm, can you get that anywhere else?

Personally I like DJ Kay slay at night on Shade 45, at first I was angry he talked too damn much, now I find it hilarious, its entertainment instead of commercials between the music.

Mentor
    05-30-2009, 10:42 AM #30
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    Unless you listen to the 90's channel on sunday then you can catch Rick Deez shows from the 90's, pretty cool really. Hmm, can you get that anywhere else?

Personally I like DJ Kay slay at night on Shade 45, at first I was angry he talked too damn much, now I find it hilarious, its entertainment instead of commercials between the music.

Funny you should mention FM and its history , and how SiriusXM evolved. Read my Relmor on Radio article. I talk about the golden age of FM, and the height of the popularity of DJ's and their place in the 30 to 70 year olders culture. And why this is the largest growth target area, not the 15 to 30 age. They are still discovering music. They will use all and any new gadgets. What we need are the older generations to finally trust that SATRD is a bargin, here to stay, and has the technology to never be irrelevant. And these generations are actually comfortable with DJ's and still prefer them. Kind of like an old shoe...

Page 3 of 4 1234