Head Honcho
    05-27-2009, 03:54 PM #1

Sirius XM "shopping" on iPhone Application

I noticed today that Sirius XM gave stockholders a taste of the new Sirius XM iPhone application but, for me, it raised more questions then answers. As you can see in the screenshot attached there is an icon called "shopping"... what might this be for? Are we shopping for Sirius XM merch, content downloads, itunes purchases, or new subscriptions?

Let the speculation begin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

05-27-2009, 06:02 PM #2
    I just think that the choice of words is strange. Its not called shop, or cart, its called shopping. I was hoping that it would mean that non subscribers could purchase/download shows or pay per channel. Both of which would be great features.

I hope it doesn't mean go to shop.sirius.com and buy hardware, that just doesn't seem to make sense..

Guru
    05-27-2009, 06:11 PM #3
    on my old phone shopping would take you to a place to buy games and downloads for the phone.

Guru
    05-27-2009, 06:11 PM #4
    im sure it will likely lead you to "the" track jacket.

05-31-2009, 08:42 PM #5
    I wonder how much SIRI will get back as a "Kickback" for selling you on the song. Honestly I got siri because I was tired of actively looking for new music, so I listen to it, get the artist and song, and then download it on itunes. Anyway, assuming alot of people do this :

Let's say out of 18 million subs, lets just say about 2 million have both online (now that its an optional feature) on their sub, as well as a iphone . I dont know how much siri will get for each song download, but ill just guess they'll get a quarter (25 cents) for every song. Now Let's say those 2 million people download atleast 4 songs per month from itunes through siri app.

2 million*.25*4 = 2 million pure profit.

Now I know this is probably off, maybe instead of 2 million people its more like 3-4, maybe instead of 25c they'll only get 10 cents, maybe instead of 4, the average person downloads 10 songs per month. IDK to be honest, can someone with a little more expertise come in and comment.

Also, assuming iphone app makes a killing, and with the gm bankruptcy coming, siri will get better terms imediatly best case scenario, what could the stock price look like lets say by next summer.

Head Honcho
    05-31-2009, 10:13 PM #6
    I don't think it would be quite that high. Currently itunes affiliates get a 5% commission. Thats not to say that Sirius XM might not be able to get something slightly higher then that but, I wouldnt expect anything over 7% since that probably cuts into the profit margin. I read somewhere that Apple is damn near break even on itunes sales and basically does it to fuel their iPod line rather then to turn a profit on selling the music itself.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder