Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: SIRI intraday updates Tuesday 05-26-09

  1. #11
    debber1212 is offline
    Member
    debber1212's Avatar
    Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 48
    NO. That is not the case. I have Pandora on my iPhone (sorry guys and Gals), and it's working just fine. These applications would be useless if they took away the ability to stream over the cell networks.

    You're talking to a guy at Radio Shack. Think about it. No offense to those who are part of this forum that work there. I'm just stating the truth here folks.

    The SIRXM app will be able to stream via 3g/Edge, and hopefully 4g as soon as AT&T completes it in 2 years or so.

  2. #12
    underway is offline
    Addict
    underway's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 521
    The radio shack guy was probably referring to older iPhone which couldn't use 3G cell network for streaming.

    here's from pandora website faq:

    "3G iPhones can play Pandora via WiFi, 3G and EDGE connections. First-generation iPhones can play Pandora over WiFi and EDGE connections. The iPod Touch requires a WiFi connection to access Pandora.

    The Pandora iPhone application permits WiFi connections to stream Pandora in full 128kbps stereo.

    For 3G and EDGE connections, you can manually toggle between lower or higher bitrate (under the "Settings" tab), to adjust for signal strength in your listening area."

  3. #13
    JohnnyIrishXM is offline
    Mentor
    JohnnyIrishXM's Avatar
    Joined: Feb 2009 Location: Valley Forge ,PA Posts: 1,583
    Hello everyone,hope you had a great long weekend as I did...
    Today looks just like the last 2 weeks,Stock sideways and Relmor is still the lone wolf out there defending his indefensible position that slacdora is no threat to SXM..They are only a threat to market share not as competition to exterminate them...
    The annual meeting is tomorrow and hopefully something good will be talked about and further guidance or some plans will be issued..

  4. #14
    underway is offline
    Addict
    underway's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 521
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIrishXM View Post
    Hello everyone,hope you had a great long weekend as I did...
    Today looks just like the last 2 weeks,Stock sideways and Relmor is still the lone wolf out there defending his indefensible position that slacdora is no threat to SXM..They are only a threat to market share not as competition to exterminate them...
    The annual meeting is tomorrow and hopefully something good will be talked about and further guidance or some plans will be issued..
    Relmor not alone. I and others don't agree either. It all depends on what you define as 'threat', I suppose. if you mean threat to significant market share (as in enough to prevent S-XM growth and profitability), then I disagree. If you mean threat to market share which may reduce growth rate, etc, then sure, like any other competitor in any market. Every player in a market grabs a certain amount of that market, sometimes in an exclusive way. I don't think "slacdora" (great term BTW) has the juice (content) to do that.

  5. #15
    underway is offline
    Addict
    underway's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 521
    forgive me....this 'slacdora' thing is very intriquing topic.....
    The music marketplace: look, just about everyone on the planet likes music. It's a matter of degree and what people will do to listen to it. Some will spend a small fortune on gadgets and high end audio equipment, others won't spend a dime. So, with slacdora, as a "free service", it will attract folks who like technology (web stuff) and don't want to part with their $ to listen to music. Would you say that slacdora will kill iTunes purchasing? I don't think so. Same for S-XM. It's about content, how music is available and played, etc. Point is, there are a lot of variables in what makes the entertainment consumer make a choice, and in many cases, a multitude of choices, not necessarily one in lieu of all or some others.

  6. #16
    JohnnyIrishXM is offline
    Mentor
    JohnnyIrishXM's Avatar
    Joined: Feb 2009 Location: Valley Forge ,PA Posts: 1,583
    Underway,agree on most of what you say,but Music IMHO is only about 40% of SXM content's lure.so it will affect that market share of music lover's only,but not to a degree that it will hurt growth or limit subs,just rather slower rate of growth if Slacdora or any other type service gets better.
    now this is predicated on how those bussiness models currently are constituted,it could and probably will change as i think the internet Subscription evolution is coming..

  7. #17
    relmor2003 is offline
    Mentor
    relmor2003's Avatar
    Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by underway View Post
    forgive me....this 'slacdora' thing is very intriquing topic.....
    The music marketplace: look, just about everyone on the planet likes music. It's a matter of degree and what people will do to listen to it. Some will spend a small fortune on gadgets and high end audio equipment, others won't spend a dime. So, with slacdora, as a "free service", it will attract folks who like technology (web stuff) and don't want to part with their $ to listen to music. Would you say that slacdora will kill iTunes purchasing? I don't think so. Same for S-XM. It's about content, how music is available and played, etc. Point is, there are a lot of variables in what makes the entertainment consumer make a choice, and in many cases, a multitude of choices, not necessarily one in lieu of all or some others.
    Exactly. Singling out Slacker and naming them as a threat is not accurate. If Slacker and Pandora merged, no one would notice or care.

  8. #18
    tim wallick is offline
    Enthusiast
    tim wallick's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 204
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Exactly. Singling out Slacker and naming them as a threat is not accurate. If Slacker and Pandora merged, no one would notice or care.
    interesting comment, then why keep harping about this issue?

  9. #19
    underway is offline
    Addict
    underway's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 521
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIrishXM View Post
    Underway,agree on most of what you say,but Music IMHO is only about 40% of SXM content's lure.so it will affect that market share of music lover's only,but not to a degree that it will hurt growth or limit subs,just rather slower rate of growth if Slacdora or any other type service gets better.
    now this is predicated on how those bussiness models currently are constituted,it could and probably will change as i think the internet Subscription evolution is coming..
    'music lovers' who are NOT also sports fans, nor Howard fans, nor live news/talk fans. No doubt there are plenty of those (my wife!). But, it's a HUGE marketplace......plenty to go around IMHO.
    p.s.....with respect to folks like my wife, who love music, but don't like sports enough to listen on radio, don't like Howard, etc.......my wife also is not an internet fan....not a gadget fan....likes to simply turn on the music source and listen (S-XM radio in the car!). She would NEVER like messing with play lists, clicking on this and that, etc. There are lots of folks out there like her.
    Last edited by underway; 05-26-2009 at 01:44 PM.

  10. #20
    imromo24 is offline
    Guru
    imromo24's Avatar
    Joined: Aug 2008 Location: Steeler Town, MI Posts: 2,524

    Dave Matthews band channel

    this is great, my wife loves DMB and gets her new car and XM sub saturday..

    Dave Matthews Band Radio To Air on SIRIUS XM Radio
    11:51a ET May 26, 2009 (PR NewsWire)
    SIRIUS XM Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI) announced today that Dave Matthews Band will host their own music channel on SIRIUS XM. Dave Matthews Band Radio will be broadcast on SIRIUS XM's Jam_On channel, SIRIUS channel 17 and XM channel 56, and will debut on Monday, June 1 starting at 12:00 pm ET and run through Monday, June 8 at 3:00 am ET. The launch of SIRIUS XM's Dave Matthews Band Radio coincides with the band's release of their latest studio album, Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King, which will be released worldwide Tuesday, June 2.

  11. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •