Page 1 of 2 12
    Head Honcho
    05-18-2009, 09:28 PM #1

What does the iPhone really mean for Sirius XM?

I noticed that the fool.com and orbitcast have both written similar articles about what I have been spouting about the Sirius iPhone for months now and I hope people really look into this more.

I just read a couple of comments on some of these articles and some people lack the basic understanding of what is even possible. Normally I dont get involved about the investing side of things but if people think these possibilities are greater then they are, they are investing without being properly informed.

Today I read a comment where a guy said something along the lines of the fact that there is more ipods then iphones so, once they get into the hundreds of millions of ipods, things will really take off for sirius. I just hope people know that regular old ipods are simply storage that plays music and are not wifi or 3g ready. Of course ipod touches do have that capability but there are not hundreds of millions of ipod touches out there right now.

I just want to set the record straight and let people know (who might not be up to date with all of the technical jargon) about this stuff but, I dont know where to start. If you guys have technical questions I will be happy to answer them.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    05-18-2009, 09:47 PM #2
    id be happy with 404,000 new subscribers through the iphone and ipod touch!

Mentor
    05-18-2009, 11:11 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    id be happy with 404,000 new subscribers through the iphone and ipod touch!
    If we revenue share with Apple they will probably market it as well. Be in their advantage too at least. If SiriusXM handles it well, it should be a way to add 400k subs easy. Should minimum help keep subs.

Head Honcho
    05-18-2009, 11:24 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    If we revenue share with Apple they will probably market it as well. Be in their advantage too at least. If SiriusXM handles it well, it should be a way to add 400k subs easy. Should minimum help keep subs.
    So, you think that Sirius XM is going to charge for this app? I think that is a big mistake as the other big music apps are all free. 400k subs in how long? 1 year? If they charge for the app, I would be willing to bet they do not move more then 200k in the next 12 months, of which only 50k or so would be new subscribers.

I also do not think Apple will market the app since it will not benefit them to do so. They have already moved 1 billion applications in under a year another million (and that number is high) is not going to really add to their bottom line and if anything it takes away from their own music offerings. Their commercials feature things like facebook apps and goofy trivial stuff like a level. The other music apps have been downloaded millions of times and Apple never seems to mention them (in the commercials I have seen).
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

05-19-2009, 08:19 AM #5

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/preview-iphone-os/

SiriusXM would have to a least charge a nominal fee for the new application if they want to take advantage of a new 3.0 software subscription feature. The new software allows developers to offer, within an application, the ability to purchase a subscription right inside the app. (Of course Apple receives 30% of the subscription fee and application fee)

If you click on the above link for the Apple iphone software preview at the SDK conference, 13:30 minutes into the presentation you see the explanation.

Last edited by Jeffw6864; 05-19-2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: added apple link

Addict
    05-19-2009, 08:30 AM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffw6864 View Post
    SiriusXM would have to a least charge a nominal fee for the new application if they want to take advantage of a new 3.0 software subscription feature. The new software allows developers to offer, within an application, the ability to purchase a subscription right inside the app. (Of course Apple receives 30% of the subscription fee and application fee)

If you click on the above link for the Apple iphone software preview at the SDK conference, 13:30 minutes into the presentation you see the explanation.

Couldn't they make the app itself a free download but use 3.0 feature for customers to easily subscribe to S-XM? They need to make the app free but charge a monthly subscription. Otherwise, if S-XM tries to charge for the app itself, it will be a bust.

05-19-2009, 08:37 AM #7
    underway,

based on conjecture, I would speculate that SiriusXM would offer their new application to be downloaded free and new subscribers would have to purchase their subscription through the SiriusXM website or the 888#. I can't see them giving Apple 30% of the subscription fee.

Charles, your thoughts?

Mentor
    05-19-2009, 08:48 AM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffw6864 View Post
    underway,

based on conjecture, I would speculate that SiriusXM would offer their new application to be downloaded free and new subscribers would have to purchase their subscription through the SiriusXM website or the 888#. I can't see them giving Apple 30% of the subscription fee.

Charles, your thoughts?
    If they help promote it I would. Damn right I would. ALl about marketing. Geez, am I going to have to give my frito lay anaology again.
    Best chips in the world in 1985. Eagle Snacks. Then Clover Club, and then Laura Strutreres(spelling...). What do we have everywhere today? The most disgusting, nasty, salt filled arrange of crappy chips and snacks made my frito lay. why? were they the best tasting? no. Where they the cheapest? No. They had the best marketing department and management team? Yes. Were they willing to make backhanded deals, and under the table deals, or incentive packed plans to distributors... yes. did they use their new money and power to make their product better or make other products a non factor? You guess..
    My point is, siriusxm IS the best. You do the math. Give them some time to add new revenue streams Charlie. This is a new era in satrd. They are a new combined company, with new owners and new ideas. Geez... I know you lost money in this stock, but look realistically would ya...

Addict
    05-19-2009, 08:54 AM #9
    Absolutely give Apple a cut in sub revenue. That gives Apple an incentive to market S-XM. It's the only way this will work well for S-XM. App must be FREE, and use the 3.0 capability to sign up for sub. This is probably what the plan is and why the app hasn't been released and why they didn't stand behind the third party app (forget the name)....they want a S-XM branded app which is 3.0 capable.

Head Honcho
    05-19-2009, 01:05 PM #10
    Apple is not going to partner with Sirius XM or market them or anything else. Its not going to happen plain and simple. The only company I have been following longer then Sirius XM is Apple. Steve Jobs is known for not cutting deals with anyone, Apple simply does not partner with anyone and why should they? Nevermind the fact that they will certainly not partner with someone who will cut into their business.

Keep an eye on the announcement, if Sirius XM offers that new iphone for free with a free 3 month trial, this company is heading in the right direction, if the app is released with a sticker price of over $0.99 you can forget about this app helping the company in any significant way.

And relmor, my thoughts on Sirius XM have never been swayed by the stock price, I have been equally as critical of this company from day one. If others did the same, maybe people would havent have lost their shirts.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Page 1 of 2 12