Page 8 of 16 ... 678910 ...
    05-26-2009, 02:08 AM #71
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    I can skip songs on my xmp3...i can record 40 hours of new content overnight (5 channels at once over 8 hours)..and the next day...whammy..skipping galore.
    Seriously. I love it. When I think of what people like in the Slacker, I just think of how cool the XMP3 is to counter it. It can give you 5 hours of content within an hour. I still use my Stiletto more, but that's because I can never keep up with enough Stern. But for listening to music I just dock the XMP3 and hit record on 5 music channels and set them to record for a cpl hours and I've got more than I need and just fast forward thru stuff I don't like. Now imagine how much better it will be when SIRIUS XM has a sim card that is within a device like that to better know your content. It will be awesome.

Enthusiast
    05-26-2009, 03:41 AM #72
    Tom, I'm trying to imagine....and I'm being thick I know, but I can't see how a sim card in a XMP3 device is going to help me or how it would be awesome. Are you saying it will somehow remember what I like and then filter the 5 streams and only keep what it thinks I want? Can you explain further?

Well, I'm content with the 3 "shows" I record from Sirius and put on my ipod. The real gem is Buried Treasure where yesterday Mr. Petty introduced me to an old guitar solo from Travis Wammack called Scratchy recorded in '62. Catch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiHZY...rom=PL&index=8 . If that don't put a smile on your face, check your pulse. I might have ran across that on Slacker or Pandora, but it was sooooo much more enjoyable hearing Tom introduce and talk about the song.

That show alone is worth the 12 bucks a month I pay all the rest gravy. If everyone in the world was as easily satisfied as me, we'd be rich. They are not though. Are you guys saying that having a Slandora style capability in addition to the content we already have is a bad thing? How? What's wrong with providing the same free capability that Slandora gives and throw in some free Sirius XM channels occassionally. Keep the same pricing structure where it runs them ~3 bucks a month to access the premium Slandora style content. Of course subscribers access everything through a SiriusXM interface and are part of a SiriusXM community (That doesn't yet exist). Throw in free weekends, or channels occassionally and I'm sure you'll get decent amount of subs upgrading to the full-up package.

I've never needed that kind of enticing, but some people would/do. Just trying to understand... why this is a bad thing?

Trip, I totally understand your anger/frustration. I can't tell you how pissed off I have been at times with Charles seeming Slandora pumping/Sirius bashing posts. I took a step back and opened my mind to the different options and found I can't really find too much wrong. SiriusXM doesn't seem to have a lot of influence to get people to realize their music content is superior.... Unless they start marketing the H E L L out of the company. Cost prohibitive. It's time for them to get smart and adapt while keeping true to providing the best radio experience out there. I don't want them to just get by, I don't want to have to worrry about GM going bankrupt, I want SiriusXM to kick ass. They aren't going to get that way keeping the status quo. IMHO of course

Mentor
    05-26-2009, 08:10 AM #73
    Different market. Lets see Slacker do this.
    http://appshopper.com/medical/medicalradio

Mentor
    05-26-2009, 08:12 AM #74
    content company. Slacker is a random music generator. Different market. Like saying listening to you child play is competition for SATRD.
    http://mobihealthnews.com/1278/himss...now-on-iphone/

Mentor
    05-26-2009, 08:17 AM #75
    Live sports.-Sirius
    Slacker-Live recorded music
    Live news-See, because its also a radio company, and content company.
    Slacker-News on their site about new features for their product.
    Talk Radio-Cornerstone of any "radio station".
    Slacker-Nothing live. No talk radio.
    Weather-Sirius
    Slacker- If you hold up the radio, you can use it to cover your head when it rains, listening to something else has not prepared you for the rain, so your going to need it.
    Orginal Talent-SIrius
    Slacker-Recorded repeats....
    Now as a personalized mp3 player......
    You got us their. Your random music generator is better than SIriusXM's. You win that one.

Mentor
    05-26-2009, 08:20 AM #76
    No Charles you know whats WEIRD, is your attitude in trying to convince me Slacker is competition. Thats weird. I proved to you 100 different times its not. HD radio is competition. So is Clear Channel. Thats about it. Now things that might keep consumers from using Sirius.....
    Work...
    Money...
    TV...
    CD's...
    MP3 player....
    Slacker...
    Pandora...
    None of the above are competition. Different market. Cant have competition from a different market. Get that into your head Charles, and Tyler. Quite being obtuse.

Enthusiast
    05-26-2009, 08:25 AM #77
    wow thats a nice bit of information on the apple issue, to bad its for content that siriusxm don't control directly how will they cash in on that.

what makes you think slacker wont evolve.is it just because you don't like it.

Guru
    05-26-2009, 08:28 AM #78
    Because one channel of the content on sirius costs as much as Slandora makes.

Head Honcho
    05-26-2009, 08:32 AM #79
    Relmor

You are saying that coke does not compete with water or juice, and that their market is soda.

What coke did was realize that soda is a beverage and that they indeed competed with water and juice. As soda lost market share it became important to see it and respond. Coke did this by getting into these other markets.

Switch to autos. Does ford make only sedans? Trucks are a diff. Market, yet ford makes and sells truck. Does an f150 compete with a chevy malibu? In a narrow focus it does not. On a broader focus it does. the truck market has grown over the years. This is why toyota, nissan, honda, etc. Have entered those markets.

Can you please address why sirius xm calls mp3's and services like slacker as competition and you don't?

Sdars is awesome, but needs to know, and understad every aspect of what consumers are using for audio entertainment just like coke did with beverages
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

Mentor
    05-26-2009, 08:33 AM #80
    Quote Originally Posted by tim wallick View Post
    wow thats a nice bit of information on the apple issue, to bad its for content that siriusxm don't control directly how will they cash in on that.

what makes you think slacker wont evolve.is it just because you don't like it.
    What makes you think they will be able too. Not about matter of like. My opinion on Slacker is irrelevant to it supplying something different than SiriusXM offers. Like ordering a beer vs. coke. Different market. But yes, both are drinks. I can find similarity in a lot of industries products. For instance.
    My bicycle is competition for Ford, based on Tyler and Charles examples. Their definition....
    ANYTHING that takes business from SiriusXM is competition. IN that case, my legs are competition for Ford. Both have similar traits. My legs move me. So does my car. Therefore......
    SAME MARKET.

Page 8 of 16 ... 678910 ...