Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 153

Thread: Slacker Sucks Thread. People who want to bag on Slacker and Pandora.

  1. #51
    TSS Taylor is offline
    Member
    TSS Taylor's Avatar
    Joined: May 2007 Posts: 34
    I do get the sense that SIRIUS XM is working on stuff similar to Slacker in which it gets to know what you like and play more of that. I just think people think all of this can get developed marketed and rolled out in a matter of months and not cost a dime.

  2. #52
    James is offline
    Enthusiast
    James's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2008 Location: New Jersey Posts: 121
    Obviously Sirius doesn't make it's own equipment and depends on outside manufacturers. It is also a fact that the merger delay kept Sirius and XM in a state of limbo. However, Sirius and XM have shown a complete lack of imagination in the radios they have had built. It is thanks to Logitech, Grace, Sonos and a few other independent companies, not Sirius, that there are internet options. They still haven't manage to come up with a Iphone App yet. Meanwhile Slacker has a Iphone and a Blackberry app. I get the feeling that Sirius is clueless about the direction that technology is moving.

  3. #53
    trippingthespeculatingpos is offline
    Guru
    trippingthespeculatingpos's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Location: San Antonio Posts: 2,884
    time will show the truth, pandora can be easily recreated it is nothing special, its novelty will wear off. Pandora is just music, sirius is so much more. sorry you dont liek sirius music, i do. i love classic vnyll and lithium some of the blue grass stations arecooltoo, not too mention oldies and classicali love it all. everybody who gets into my car loves it, mainly because if i know what kindamusic they like i go there. pandora may be neat, but it is not half the service sirius is. satellites inferior? your ****ing kidding me right? hahahahaha hey charles did u get ur monthly pandora check yet? its the same bullshit nonsense from charles everytime. hey tyler what is pandora's take rate? how m,any people trythe free service then decide to pay for it? what like 5 percent? 45 percent take rate is good, alot of business would like to be able to sell something to 45% of the people who see their product.

  4. #54
    otone is offline
    Enthusiast
    otone's Avatar
    Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 243
    trip,
    Chill man They are not talking about Sirius becoming Pandora, they are talking about augmenting what they currently provide with providing a "Slandora" type listening experience on the internet feed side. You may not like Charles sledgehammer approach to driving that point home, but you should at least step back a little and try to understand the point.
    I've tried both services and they do offer an alternative product that I could see using. If I was having a outside dinner party, I might just go with a Pandora/Slacker channel for a music only experience. However, if I was out at the beach with friends, I would want more of a traditional radio experience with a DJ and would listen to Sirius XM. Other times, I might want to listen to the baseball game/nascar race while out on a road/fishing trip... Sirius XM again. Lots of other examples that fit each persons' need. Point is, there is no reason that SiriusXM can't provide all that content.

    Here is the thing. In the past...recent past. Charles (ok lots of us) has been harping on the lack of marketing and not having a iphone/blackberry/winmo app in place as well as a revamped web site that is more in line with what a user community expects today. Maybe, just maybe, they are working on something big. It takes a while to develop, and why show your hand? Who knows.... but that's the only rational explanation besides them being totally inept. If inept is your choice and your are in this stock....well...

  5. #55
    trippingthespeculatingpos is offline
    Guru
    trippingthespeculatingpos's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Location: San Antonio Posts: 2,884
    i think that is a stupid idea, let pandora be pandora let siri be siri, i dont want to program my own radio station i want some1 else to do it. I just dont get why on this siriusbuzz website we have to constantly talk about pandora, seems a little fishy now, every 2 seconds charles is pumping pandora and dissing siri. my point is pandora and sirius are 2 diff services. Pandora is not "Radio" no matter how much u try to paint it as such. It's nothing but a computer generated playlist, i already have one of those. i actually i have like 4 of those. i dont actually have any other choice to get what satrad offers. anyway im done with this retarded toic as all it does is allow charles to plug pandora while putting down sirius. something he absolutely loves to do.

  6. #56
    relmor2003 is offline
    Mentor
    relmor2003's Avatar
    Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Take a look over at the Slacker forums or at www.digitalradiocentral.com in the Slacker category. You will find lots of former Sirius or XM subscribers who now use Slacker exclusively. DAB, the moderator over at DRC was once a rabid Sirius subscriber. Many of these people are paying customers of Slacker not just people looking for a free service.
    LOL. No comment. Terrible arguement. I will show you a room full of Slacker never users and what does that prove. How about Slacker to SiriusXM people. You are using opinions to argue facts. Cute as it is, its pointless. Like saying Water steals money from Coke. Different market. Sorry....

  7. #57
    relmor2003 is offline
    Mentor
    relmor2003's Avatar
    Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by TSS Taylor View Post
    I do get the sense that SIRIUS XM is working on stuff similar to Slacker in which it gets to know what you like and play more of that. I just think people think all of this can get developed marketed and rolled out in a matter of months and not cost a dime.
    Funny part of that is, Slacker can never accomplish the content, and SiriusXM can easily encorporate a personalized radio station. This arguement is pointless. Im arguing with people who dont understand markets. NOT THE SAME MARKET. Slacker is no threat. Pandora is no threat. Tyler and Charles are hell bent on trying to convince me water competes with coke. Never going to do it. You have to leave personal opinion when debating facts to the side.

  8. #58
    TSavery is offline
    Head Honcho
    TSavery's Avatar
    Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 524
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Funny part of that is, Slacker can never accomplish the content, and SiriusXM can easily encorporate a personalized radio station. This arguement is pointless. Im arguing with people who dont understand markets. NOT THE SAME MARKET. Slacker is no threat. Pandora is no threat. Tyler and Charles are hell bent on trying to convince me water competes with coke. Never going to do it. You have to leave personal opinion when debating facts to the side.
    Relmor.....

    1. The fact is that over 50% of those exposed to satellite choose NOT to keep it. What is your opinion of this?

    2. Saying that Slacker does not compete with satellite is foolish. No one listens to Slacker and Sirius XM at the same time. Even Sirius XM acknowledges that they compete. You are not arguing with Charles and I you are arguing with Sirius XM.

    3. You argue that Sirius XM is an entertainment company. What is Slacker? What is pandora? They are all designed to entertain people.

    4. You bring up water vs. coke and say they do not compete. Why then diud Coke buy Vitamin water? The market share of soda is dropping to other beverages. Vitamin water, etc. were taking mouths away from Coke. Coke could have emulated vitamin water, but they decided to buy it. Why do you think Coke makes Powerade (a gatorade type product).

    Coke is broadening their horizons, and THIS is the argument Charles and I are saying we need to be thinking about. There is no reason that Sirius XM can't improve upon their product and gain back market share.

    Rather than slam Slacker and Pandora, etc. why not look at what they are offering that has appeal to the millions that use these services and emulate it?

    If Sirius XM ignores the internet side of the business, they are in trouble.

    When I drive I typically listen to Sirius XM. if I am at the computer I use Slacker. I trvel with my Slacker rather than Stiletto because it is far easier to use, and contains more songs to my liking.
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

  9. #59
    trippingthespeculatingpos is offline
    Guru
    trippingthespeculatingpos's Avatar
    Joined: Dec 2008 Location: San Antonio Posts: 2,884
    well when i am at my computer i listen to xm streams, so there u go. i like what sirius offers online. no need for me to go anywhere else for online listening. Am i listening to music? rarely. I love music but id rather listen to some news or talk. maybe im a rare guy, but what i listen to i find very entertaining, and one of a kind, and can only be found on satrad. pandora may be grabbing some of those music lovers that only care abou the music. If sirius was only about the music it wouldnt have 15 million self paying subs. Sirius is much much more than a playlist. by the way any1 hearing the celebrity special today? jimmy kimmel is picking some good stuff.

  10. #60
    SiriusBuzz is offline
    Head Honcho
    SiriusBuzz's Avatar
    Joined: May 2007 Posts: 2,675
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Wheres your numbers for ex SiriusXM subs, that thought Slacker served their needs better? Didnt think so....
    You're right lol. Do you think people have switched from sugar to splenda? Where are the numbers? Because no one polls that kind of data it must have never once happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Not a matter of feelings. Its a matter of everything I stated you choose to ignore in your rebutals.
    I have answered everything you have said on a point by point basis on every post you have made, it is you that are not addressing the facts that don't help your argument... which is moot btw. People switch entertainment services all the time, I dont need market analisys to tell me that and neither do you.

    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    You mention an exception, not the rule. Im glad you can sight one example. Im talking about facts. Your talking about opinions.
    I agree that people switching services in not the rule. I am with you on that one. My point is that they do switch just like 10 million people have left blockbuster for netflix. I dont want people leaving Sirius XM for any alternative.

    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Fact.
    Slacker does not offer a competitive alternative to what SiriusXM offers. If you name Slacker as competition for SiriusXM, then you must also name a cd player as competition as well. I will list their competitors again. HD radio. Clear Channel, and terrestrial radio stations.
    You are not correctly defining competition. Just because Slacker doesnt do what Sirius XM does to a T does not mean that people wont leave one service for the other. You cant walk into netflix and rent a movie, so, by your logic netflix does not compete with blockbuster?

    Again, you are saying that Sirius XM is hands down better "no competition" but, you can not say that they do not "compete."

    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    XM was a competitor, now they are the same company. I dont care if you and every Slacker user alive calls it a radio station, its not. Its a random music generator, tailored to some personal choices. Slacker competes with Pandora, and Ipods. Not SiriusXM. SiriusXM is an entertainment content company, deliverable now in many forms. Not just radio. Internet, and now cell phone apps. Facts are facts. Sorry....
    I dont care what you call it either, as long as a user can see one or the other as an alternative (whether you do or not) then its compeition. I am sorry that you dont want to hear/believe that.

    Sirius XM competes with ipods as well btw. The better that technology gets and the more satisified Apple makes their customers, the less likely they are to stray to a service like Sirius XM.

    BTW, you are still ignoring the best points we have made because you have no answer. I dont know why you are fighting this fight man, its just plain weird.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

  11. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •