Page 4 of 7 ... 23456 ...
    05-21-2009, 02:44 PM #31
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    I totally agree, their rapid fire bullshit press releases this week were laughable.

Although, I agree with most of what you said... I do subscribe to netflix for 8.99 per month (after a free 1 month trial) and its an amazing value for the cost. Again, point taken, you just might want to drop that statement to 8.99
    Done. Changed to $8.99/month. HAHA.

Guru
    05-21-2009, 02:53 PM #32
    That is all fine, I understand the revenue aspect. All I am saying is that the likes of "free" internet radio are cutting into their potential market share. It doesn't matter if its "crap" or "it sucks hard." They already have 5 million iPhone users... would you say that it would be easier for Sirius XM to take those Pandora users away or would it be easier to grab a new subscriber from someone who has yet to form a preference? Now, ask the same question about the Sirius XM internet offerings and think about how many people are collectively using Pandora and Slacker online.

You guys can all jump in now and talk about the oem channels and how cars are their bread and butter but, you wont be addressing the issue I pointed out above. This is a huge space that they are not taking advantage of. Again, I listen online 8 hours a day while I only drive .5 hours a day and now a days, there are more and more people like me. Sirius XM shouldn't want to be capturing the commuter audience, they should want to capture people everywhere whether in the home or on the job.

Charles the point being that when you compare the rates of how many each is signing up you have to give a 100 to 1 advantage, at least. Lets face it, free will always be easyer to get people to use your product. It is just a fact of life, that people will not put cash on the line compared to a free service. It is the same reason that retail has a less churn then the OEM, People are making a choice to subscribe and are putting money up for it from the get go. I also think Tyler hit the nail on the head when he talked about giving a free trial for 3 months. It is always easyer to up sell a service after they have tried it, then not.

Enthusiast
    05-21-2009, 02:53 PM #33
    Quote Originally Posted by tim wallick View Post
    inromo24

heres a bit more info on the subject on this link
    The boxes contain a powerful voice-recognition engine and text-to-speech engine. So in 2011 at the earliest, Internet radio users can ask, in casual language, to hear whatever song they wish. Users can also ask for news, sports, stocks, weather, traffic and other updates. They will be able to ask in natural language news-derived questions such as if the Knicks won last night.

How cool would it be to have a song in your head and just ask your audio system to pull it up from the Sirius song database? And what if you wanted to hear the days special concert, but you were in a meeting longer than expected, so you just ask for a replay when you hit the commute home?

There is some amazing things coming in the next couple of years. Just hope SIRI is well positioned to capitalize.

Enthusiast
    05-21-2009, 03:03 PM #34
    Can you then please explain Pandoras explosive growth rate? I am honestly asking. I understand that you don't like it but, the numbers don't lie.

In fact, every argument I have heard against Pandora is total crapola. Listen, I don't like limited playlists or crappy popular music over and over again BUT, I am smart enough to know that is what sells.

Do I watch American Idol? HELL NO. Does that mean it is not WILDLY popular? Certainly not.
    Jack in the Box vs Ruth Chris Steak House! One is a much better menu and service, and the other gets the job done. (Full stomach) Result - "Jack" has revenue 7 to 1 over "Ruth". Filling basic needs at lowest cost will usually garner quick market penetration, until the basic needs change.

Addict
    05-21-2009, 03:13 PM #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriustunes View Post
    Jack in the Box vs Ruth Chris Steak House! One is a much better menu and service, and the other gets the job done. (Full stomach) Result - "Jack" has revenue 7 to 1 over "Ruth". Filling basic needs at lowest cost will usually garner quick market penetration, until the basic needs change.
    Exactly! And, at the end of the day, it's about profit. Is Jack more profitable than Ruth? Could be...or not. GM revenue is sure pretty high but spewing red ink everywhere. In the future, let's say S-XM grows subs at much slower rate than in their heyday (forgetting the current lousy retail economy which will improve). But, if S-XM is able to achieve all the synergies from merging, negotiates better deals with talent, no longer has to capitalize satellites, other than occasional replacement, etc, etc......PROFIT. Will it happen? who knows. I sure hope so.

Head Honcho
    05-21-2009, 03:21 PM #36
    Quote Originally Posted by underway View Post
    IMHO, this game is for S-XM to win if they get their marketing heads out of their collective asses. just sayin'.
    Agreed!

Which gives me an idea for a new poll/thread... stay tuned.

In the mean time... for those who are so frustrated with the incompetence of the SEC that they want to sharpen a pencil and stick it in their eye; http://market-ticker.org/archives/10...-COPS-BAC.html
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Head Honcho
    05-21-2009, 03:23 PM #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriustunes View Post
    Again, I understand the revenue aspect but jack vs ruth is a bad analogy. There is next to zero overlap. I have been to Ruth and there aren't too many jack fans in there.

I guess you guys are missing my point, its all good.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Head Honcho
    05-21-2009, 03:26 PM #38
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Lets face it, free will always be easyer to get people to use your product. It is just a fact of life, that people will not put cash on the line compared to a free service.
    People do and they did... they had free FM and switched to SATRAD.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I also think Tyler hit the nail on the head when he talked about giving a free trial for 3 months.
    I said that over a year ago... just sayin.

What grade would you give the current Sirius XM marketing team?
    http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1999
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    05-21-2009, 03:35 PM #39
    Can you then please explain Pandoras explosive growth rate? I am honestly asking. I understand that you don't like it but, the numbers don't lie.

In fact, every argument I have heard against Pandora is total crapola. Listen, I don't like limited playlists or crappy popular music over and over again BUT, I am smart enough to know that is what sells.

Do I watch American Idol? HELL NO. Does that mean it is not WILDLY popular? Certainly not.
    Anyone will try something for free. I'm curious how so many people know about it, they don't advertise.

Im also curious of the "staying power". How many of the people that tried it stuck with it.

Mentor
    05-21-2009, 03:40 PM #40
    I totally agree, their rapid fire bullshit press releases this week were laughable.

Although, I agree with most of what you said... I do subscribe to netflix for 8.99 per month (after a free 1 month trial) and its an amazing value for the cost. Again, point taken, you just might want to drop that statement to 8.99
    Charles,Debber was talking about ISP to read this,not sub bussiness's..

Page 4 of 7 ... 23456 ...