Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: SIRI intraday Thursday 05-21-09

  1. #21
    tim wallick is offline
    Enthusiast
    tim wallick's Avatar
    Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 204
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Yes, that is too bad Ford decided to offer Pandora. Its free. Ive used it, and I hate it. If you give people the choice for free, no competition.
    Tim..... Can SiriusXM allow an interaction, maybe as a side channel, or denote some bandwidth to allowing users to create their own stations like a Pandora, but with the full content of the SiriusXM library of music, not the crappy Pandora library? Thanks...
    or as that sounds impossible, can they do that through their internet and iphone service? you get all the channels, AND you can create your own station?

    interactive comes at another fee do to copy rights. I'm not sure what the Sirius deal really covers with labels and talent.but suspect some of the new internet fee is because of that issue. the concept ties neatly into the expanded content for the ipod.

    i think currently four auto oems have access to Sirius/xm spectrum for use in telematics services. the first ford deal had language that mentioned 10 channels for their use. I don't know if its any longer part of that deal. homer may have a better ideal also at one point i read where gm/xm had some form of agreement to cover xm built into the on-star device but that was also years ago.

    i do understand the telematics device will collect user data in a fashion similar to the ppm device for the user so advertisers can measure a real roi based on what i read in some of the Hughes information.

  2. #22
    bassmaster is offline
    Mentor
    bassmaster's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Yes, that is too bad Ford decided to offer Pandora. Its free. Ive used it, and I hate it. If you give people the choice for free, no competition.
    Tim..... Can SiriusXM allow an interaction, maybe as a side channel, or denote some bandwidth to allowing users to create their own stations like a Pandora, but with the full content of the SiriusXM library of music, not the crappy Pandora library? Thanks...
    or as that sounds impossible, can they do that through their internet and iphone service? you get all the channels, AND you can create your own station?
    great question! creating your own station like "genius playlist" and having it upload to your siriusxm receivers would be a perk.

    alot of talk about iphone lately , rightfully so, but im hoping we're fcf+ for the Q that news would be even bigger. we're in real bad economic environment, balance sheet cleanup is a priority imo.....

    anyone know how much cash on hand we had last Q? was it a decreas/increase from previous Q? i dont recall anyone mentioning it in the forums.

    we cant predict the future, we dont know for a fact the car market will get better. obv WE ALL BELIEVE IT WILL, but imo, the company needs to be profitable on the CURRENT BUSINESS MODEL. and as other bloggers said, the new subs will just be gravy.

  3. #23
    debber1212 is offline
    Member
    debber1212's Avatar
    Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 48
    Quote Originally Posted by jonpluc@aol.com View Post
    As the gentleman who posted in another thread awhile back, Sirius has been available on iphone thru a regular paid app since December of 2008. Pocket Tunes works perfectly.
    Very true. However I don't believe you can signup as a new SIRIXM user from the app. You would have to call and subscribe to the full service.

    Not entirely sure, but what I was saying is that OS 3.0 will make it much easier to sign up new customers.
    Last edited by debber1212; 05-21-2009 at 01:13 PM.

  4. #24
    imromo24 is offline
    Guru
    imromo24's Avatar
    Joined: Aug 2008 Location: Steeler Town, MI Posts: 2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by tim wallick View Post
    inromo24

    heres a bit more info on the subject on this link
    interesting

    Hughes also hopes to “better integrate” with satellite radio and put the chipset in its boxes. Then users might purchase satellite radio only on long trips, or they could purchase back seat video for the kids.

  5. #25
    imromo24 is offline
    Guru
    imromo24's Avatar
    Joined: Aug 2008 Location: Steeler Town, MI Posts: 2,524
    besides telematics...somehow they need to incorporate animatronics too!

  6. #26
    SiriusBuzz is offline
    Head Honcho
    SiriusBuzz's Avatar
    Joined: May 2007 Posts: 2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by debber1212 View Post
    I agree. There is nothing to rejoice about. SIRI has honestly been a disappointment lately. There doesn't seem to be any news drawing investors in.
    I totally agree, their rapid fire bullshit press releases this week were laughable.

    Quote Originally Posted by debber1212 View Post
    NO ONE CURRENTLY READING THIS HAS A SUBSCRIPTION TO ANYTHING THAT IS UNDER $10/month
    Although, I agree with most of what you said... I do subscribe to netflix for 8.99 per month (after a free 1 month trial) and its an amazing value for the cost. Again, point taken, you just might want to drop that statement to 8.99
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

  7. #27
    SiriusBuzz is offline
    Head Honcho
    SiriusBuzz's Avatar
    Joined: May 2007 Posts: 2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Yes, that is too bad Ford decided to offer Pandora. Its free. Ive used it, and I hate it. If you give people the choice for free, no competition.
    Can you then please explain Pandoras explosive growth rate? I am honestly asking. I understand that you don't like it but, the numbers don't lie.

    In fact, every argument I have heard against Pandora is total crapola. Listen, I don't like limited playlists or crappy popular music over and over again BUT, I am smart enough to know that is what sells.

    Do I watch American Idol? HELL NO. Does that mean it is not WILDLY popular? Certainly not.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

  8. #28
    john is offline
    Guru
    john's Avatar
    Joined: May 2008 Posts: 2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Can you then please Pandoras explosive growth rate? I am honestly asking. I understand that you don't like it but, the numbers don't lie.

    In fact, every argument I have heard against Pandora is total crapola. Listen, I don't like limited playlists or crappy popular music over and over again BUT, I am smart enough to know that is what sells.

    Do I watch American Idol? HELL NO. Does that mean it is not WILDLY popular? Certainly not.



    I think he answered it with the FREE part. As Tim points out SIRIXM as now just passed Clear Channel in revenue, I am sure Clear Channel has got alot more people listening to their 750 stations then SIRIXM has subscribers but what is the revenue they get from each of them is more important. If you get .05 cents in advertising revenue from each listener, it would take them 100 times (or 186 million) the subsribers as SIRIXM to make up the difference. Thats more then half (almost two thirds) the population of the USA.

  9. #29
    SiriusBuzz is offline
    Head Honcho
    SiriusBuzz's Avatar
    Joined: May 2007 Posts: 2,514
    That is all fine, I understand the revenue aspect. All I am saying is that the likes of "free" internet radio are cutting into their potential market share. It doesn't matter if its "crap" or "it sucks hard." They already have 5 million iPhone users... would you say that it would be easier for Sirius XM to take those Pandora users away or would it be easier to grab a new subscriber from someone who has yet to form a preference? Now, ask the same question about the Sirius XM internet offerings and think about how many people are collectively using Pandora and Slacker online.

    You guys can all jump in now and talk about the oem channels and how cars are their bread and butter but, you wont be addressing the issue I pointed out above. This is a huge space that they are not taking advantage of. Again, I listen online 8 hours a day while I only drive .5 hours a day and now a days, there are more and more people like me. Sirius XM shouldn't want to be capturing the commuter audience, they should want to capture people everywhere whether in the home or on the job.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

  10. #30
    underway is offline
    Addict
    underway's Avatar
    Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 521
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Can you then please explain Pandoras explosive growth rate? I am honestly asking. I understand that you don't like it but, the numbers don't lie.

    In fact, every argument I have heard against Pandora is total crapola. Listen, I don't like limited playlists or crappy popular music over and over again BUT, I am smart enough to know that is what sells.

    Do I watch American Idol? HELL NO. Does that mean it is not WILDLY popular? Certainly not.
    I think the point about Pandora, Slacker, et al (free services) vs S-XM is simply about different markets. They intersect for sure, but there are millions of folks who want more than what Pandora et al, currently deliver under their 'free service' model. Plus, is the 'free model' sustainable? Don't know. Perhaps it is, but, it could collapse under heavy royalty fees and other issues related to advertising revenue. Certainly, if the 'free model' were to ramp up programming to be more like S-XM, then it's a no brainer. But, as long as the program offerings are very different, the market each is going after is different. For example, sports nuts and Howard fans would not dump S-XM for Pandora. IMHO, this game is for S-XM to win if they get their marketing heads out of their collective asses. just sayin'.

  11. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •