Page 2 of 7 1234 ...
    05-21-2009, 09:58 AM #11
    Quote Originally Posted by tim wallick View Post
    heres the link trouble ahead for car radio

its worth reading imho and think with telematics it becomes a bigger issue based on quality of content and which cell services get bundled into the dashboard device.
    Great article Tim. It's very true. What SIRI needs to do now is figure a way to add to its business model. I don't mean add stations or stream LIVE concerts, but find some way to utilize its SATs to create a new type of service, or work hand in hand with another company.

What that is I don't know. If I did I wouldn't be typing on a blog here with you folks trying to convince myself that SIRI is a good move. However, there has to be some way to do it.

Pandora and all those other music players SUCK. However, they are FREE. The "sheep", by which I mean the followers of Mainstream music, will use these free services because they don't mind listening to LADY GAGA, and LINCOLN PARK over and over and over again. SIRI can make it, but they need to think outside the box.

I'm sure Mel and Malone will figure something out. Let's just trust them and keep on bloggin away.

Enthusiast
    05-21-2009, 10:12 AM #12
    Sirius used to pay mark Ramsey to consult for them. imho, he's about one of the brightest in the sector to bad they often ignored his solid advice.

Guru
    05-21-2009, 11:11 AM #13
    One thing Mel said that sticks in my mind i think is very important...he said "we are currently working on some very amazing things with the autos, something new that i can not discuss"

that is the quote from memory...but the context was that its not backseat tv, its not navigation and its not anything they already do, but something new....from the way it was spoken it also sounded like it could be a few years away...

It was something he said in one of his interviews at the end of 2008.

Enthusiast
    05-21-2009, 11:31 AM #14
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    One thing Mel said that sticks in my mind i think is very important...he said "we are currently working on some very amazing things with the autos, something new that i can not discuss"

that is the quote from memory...but the context was that its not backseat tv, its not navigation and its not anything they already do, but something new....from the way it was spoken it also sounded like it could be a few years away...

could this be what he was talking about

HUGHES Telematics has its own ideas for connecting car customers. These range from products at the production intent status to some that are strictly at the cool concept stage. With a push-to-talk button, a driver can initiate conversational voice search instead of the context established, tree-based searches in current voice command systems. Using Sirius XM satellite radio, the vehicle accesses a range of audio-video content through an architecture designed to meet the Next Generation Telematics Protocol (NGTP) standard developed by the telematics' industry to improve the technology interface capability.
    According to Tom Taylor, vice president of engineering development, HUGHES Telematics, the company wants to be an aggregator of vehicle content. They can demonstrate how greater connectivity can be obtained in a vehicle environment. At CES, HUGHES Telematics demonstrated how widgets, software components designed specifically for the vehicle, could provide connectivity and enhance the driving experience. With 10-MHz bandwidth, HUGHES Telematics' vehicle demo received four channels simultaneously showing the capability of a high bandwidth communication channel.
    A Virtual Accessories' feature in HUGHES Telematics' Telematics Control Unit (TCU) allows the on-demand activation of services already integrated into the TCU such as navigation, satellite radio and Bluetooth.
    Other Unique Capabilities

Addict
    Joined: Nov 2008 Location: Vancouver Island Canada Posts: 583
    05-21-2009, 11:38 AM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post

I think you were talking about this interview roughly just over half way through...

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/show/1239/extra

Guru
    05-21-2009, 11:58 AM #16
    yes thanks

Guru
    05-21-2009, 12:04 PM #17
    tim w. , im going to read that 10 more times to try and understand what that could do for us...but, yes telematics was a big topic to mel, maybe in that same interview above.

The data that is sent to the Nav systems..is that telematics too? Mel mentioned that the data sent by the nav traffic system doesn't hog bandwidth.

Data sent via a system like that is what will be next, but i wonder what theyll do with it.

My xmp3 is probably an example. when i turn the device on and try to look at programming it says "no programming available" (ie: tomorrows lineup) after a few seconds I can look at any channel and see what will be on for the next 5 days.

That is cool for a radio to do a programming guide like Directv and cable.

Mentor
    05-21-2009, 12:13 PM #18
    Yes, that is too bad Ford decided to offer Pandora. Its free. Ive used it, and I hate it. If you give people the choice for free, no competition.
    Tim..... Can SiriusXM allow an interaction, maybe as a side channel, or denote some bandwidth to allowing users to create their own stations like a Pandora, but with the full content of the SiriusXM library of music, not the crappy Pandora library? Thanks...
    or as that sounds impossible, can they do that through their internet and iphone service? you get all the channels, AND you can create your own station?

Enthusiast
    05-21-2009, 12:16 PM #19
    inromo24

heres a bit more info on the subject on this link

05-21-2009, 12:28 PM #20
    As the gentleman who posted in another thread awhile back, Sirius has been available on iphone thru a regular paid app since December of 2008. Pocket Tunes works perfectly.

Page 2 of 7 1234 ...