Page 1 of 2 12
    Enthusiast
    05-18-2009, 04:36 PM #1

Ford Sync Pandora and maybe (iPhone) three years free

well heres the link to twice

We’ll be able to link you to your Internet in the car. If you brought an iPhone into the vehicle, you could interact with that through voice. You could then read your email by voice,” said Joe Berry, Ford business and product development director for Sync, referring to a future version of Sync.
    The company is currently working with Pandora and is also targeting other Web applications.

“Pandora is sort of dipping our feet in the water … We’ll be doing that with a lot more applications,” Berry said.

The updated Sync uses Inrix traffic data and TellMe voice technology as well as Airbiquity and TeleNav technology. Best Buy is slated to provide technical support to Sync customers who have trouble pairing their phones with the new Sync. The Sync was developed with Microsoft.

05-19-2009, 02:10 AM #2
    uh oh, that doesn't sound good for SIRI stock if they use Pandora

Enthusiast
    05-19-2009, 03:42 AM #3
    honestly, I'm not sure how to take this. as i have read at least one Microsoft patent for an in vehicle docking device for portable devices which charges the device and acts as a gateway to auto for content distribution and they did team up with ford on the sync device.

whats not clear to me is if this happens (iphone) in the next sync device which is do in June its clear now it will happen. the net effect on content owner's will be a longer tail, which is a benefit for content owners. if its unique and tightly controlled within distribution channels.

as far as music goes enabling another heart less juke-box just does very
    little for me.

but content consumers are and need to be looked at as diverse tribes going forward and the Internet will enable the process and be very disruptive for those company's that continue to refuse to move forward and embrace the digital age quickly.

ford made a very good decision in building the sync device one which tends to empower consumer choice.

Mentor
    05-19-2009, 08:42 AM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by tim wallick View Post
    honestly, I'm not sure how to take this. as i have read at least one Microsoft patent for an in vehicle docking device for portable devices which charges the device and acts as a gateway to auto for content distribution and they did team up with ford on the sync device.

whats not clear to me is if this happens (iphone) in the next sync device which is do in June its clear now it will happen. the net effect on content owner's will be a longer tail, which is a benefit for content owners. if its unique and tightly controlled within distribution channels.

as far as music goes enabling another heart less juke-box just does very
    little for me.

but content consumers are and need to be looked at as diverse tribes going forward and the Internet will enable the process and be very disruptive for those company's that continue to refuse to move forward and embrace the digital age quickly.

ford made a very good decision in building the sync device one which tends to empower consumer choice.
    pandora is like Jack in the Box....
    SiriusXM is like a fine steak house.
    Mentioning pandora as a "competitor" to siriusxm is like mentioning listening to the wind blow instead of satrd is competition.

05-19-2009, 08:59 AM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    pandora is like Jack in the Box....
    SiriusXM is like a fine steak house.
    Mentioning pandora as a "competitor" to siriusxm is like mentioning listening to the wind blow instead of satrd is competition.
    Good Morning,
    Great analogy relmor.
    Julie

Guru
    05-19-2009, 09:20 AM #6
    thanks relmor, I was trying to figure a way to say that too.

another example;

you can buy a pair of shoes at Kmart for $24 or you can buy a pair of shoes made by Bass that are far (by experience i know) far superior for $110.

(luckily i have a bass outlet and got them for $58) but the point still stands.

ps. the shoes from kmart fell apart terribly within a few months. My pair of Bass shoes lasted me years previously.

I thought hey, a shoe is a shoe, im going to save some money and go to kmart. NOPE not the same.

Enthusiast
    05-19-2009, 09:27 AM #7

who mentioned competitor

I only posted something about other deliver paths to the auto. to not mention this growing area is a dis-service to any current or prospective investor.

i also think Pandora is not currently a threat buy itself, but empowering consumer choice should force or drive content providers to offer some form of higher quality content along the pathway to listeners ears.

like i said the juke-box type stuff pretty much gets skipped right over by me.

i know of at least fifty new on-line stations being built by real radio people whom still practice the wonderful art of radio. this is not about Pandora for me its a much larger issue imho.

I suspect more phone companies will enter into the content ownership arena moving forward and application channels such as iphone combined with networks will be a disruptive force for the bottom line of those that don't embrace change. and its possible even more so, when the content and phone service is tied into a telematics device.

05-19-2009, 09:34 AM #8
    Relmor....listening to the wind blow vs SAT..thats good material..lol.

Whats the scoop with the pop this morning, I'm a little late to the game?

Mentor
    05-19-2009, 09:40 AM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    Relmor....listening to the wind blow vs SAT..thats good material..lol.

Whats the scoop with the pop this morning, I'm a little late to the game?
    well...if you go by technicals, and history, any second...
    never traded 10 days down in a row before....
    Im pretty sure no stock has...
    But thats what makes this stock so frustrating.
    Tim.....
    I thank you for your posts, I know your intent was to educate us on delivery and other mediums that are coming as threats in the future. Your a wealth of knowledge. The jack in the box comment was of course not for you.

05-19-2009, 09:42 AM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    thanks relmor, I was trying to figure a way to say that too.

another example;

you can buy a pair of shoes at Kmart for $24 or you can buy a pair of shoes made by Bass that are far (by experience i know) far superior for $110.

(luckily i have a bass outlet and got them for $58) but the point still stands.

ps. the shoes from kmart fell apart terribly within a few months. My pair of Bass shoes lasted me years previously.

I thought hey, a shoe is a shoe, im going to save some money and go to kmart. NOPE not the same.

But, on the other hand. Who wants a shoe to last for several years?
    Sometimes cheap and shortlived is better than expensive and I
    have it around forever. Besides I know men's shoes styles tend
    to remain the same whereas womens shoe styles change constantly.
    Women generally view shoe buying differently than men.
    I do understant the point you are making though.
    Julie

Page 1 of 2 12