Joined: Jan 2009 Location: New Jersey - The Carcinogen State. Posts: 19
    05-18-2009, 10:57 AM #1

Exclamation Whats with all the iPhone talk???

On other stock boards there is so much buzz about the upcoming app for the iPhone that allows one to use SiriusXM through their iPhone via the internet. The buzz alledges that with the upcoming release of the app, that subscriptions will increase for the specific purpose of using SiriusXm on the iPhone. I don't believe that at all, as there is already an app that does this exact thing, and has been available through Apples App Store since December 2008! The application I'm talking about is called Pocket Tunes. I downloaded this application back in January of this year, and have successfully listened to any SiriusXM channel available to me via their Web player. This app not only allows me to utilize my SiriusXM subscription, but also allows me to listen to any terrestrial radio station available to me locally.

So tell me again, why would another application for the iphone create more subscriptions for SiriusXM?

TheAbbevilleKid
    *(Multiple receiver & subscription holder of SiriusXM since 2006)
    *(iPhone user since June 2008)

05-18-2009, 11:23 AM #2
    My guess would be Obvious Branding.

Example:

Dane Cook- Teen girls can get everything they've ever wanted from Dane via FACEBOOK or MYSPACE on the iPhone b/c there are Apps for those social networking sites and they’re free.

Now my Girl friend LOVE’s Dane, so much that she paid $2.99 for the official DANE COOK App.

Apply that same example to SIRI, yeah there are back woods ways of getting to desirable content for those that are actively looking; like your self, but for the masses it's not even on the radar; like me. So for SIRI to have an official iTunes App would only position the product in a more accessible existence.

Guru
    05-18-2009, 11:26 AM #3
    hey abbeville, it might it might not, if sirius offers this app for free to those who have never had sirius. as well as given them a trial offer i think it could gain some interest and add some subs, not a shit load but some. if ur using opandora on ur iphone or slacker or something, then u have the chance to listen to this premium service and check it out for free. why wouldnt u? then its up to the content to bring over those weak ass pandora and slacker users.

Joined: Jan 2009 Location: New Jersey - The Carcinogen State. Posts: 19
    05-18-2009, 01:13 PM #4

As mentioned previously, I am using an app that you can buy from the appstore through apple. All one needs do is type "Satellite Radio" in the search feature of the appstore to find it. It's not something that you need to "jailbreak" or otherwise "hack" your iphone to use. Its simple and easy to get, and has been available to iphone users since December of 2008. Its called Pocket Tunes radio.

Tripping: I agree that any app with the Sirius name attached to it will bring subscribers in, but some seem to think that this SiriusXM app will be the app that opens up the flood gates to thousands of new subscribers. Thats where I disagree and think that it will only have a nominal effect at best.

Abbeville

Head Honcho
    05-18-2009, 04:20 PM #5
    You are not the only one, I agree with you. Unless they do a few things to make the offering tasty to potential new customers. I have pointed out what they should do in the past and I know the guys at Sirius XM read our site so, you can be sure that they will do the direct opposite of whatever I say
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

05-18-2009, 07:11 PM #6
    Are you telling me that you can get SiriXm for free,without subscribing? Why in the hell would ANYONE in their right mind pay for something that you can get for free?You get Howard for Free?Baseball for Free? NFL for Free? I don't care what the "convenience" is. Even if it's 50 cents.This is really a lame brained move from Siri.....That probably cost them money to get it in play.

Head Honcho
    05-18-2009, 07:46 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by stkdn View Post
    Are you telling me that you can get SiriXm for free,without subscribing?
    No. No one is saying that.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

05-18-2009, 10:19 PM #8
    I had no clue that Sirius could be played on Iphone and im a minor technophile. I figured id hear about it when it happened and got nothing till i just read this post.