Mentor
    09-30-2007, 04:50 AM #1

Comment from FCC Commissioner Adelstein

Was browsing around the internet and found a comment that I hadnt seen yet. It is from the Hearing on Media Ownership held in Tampa Florida.

Commissioner Jonathan S. Adelstein states:
    The fact of matter is that broadcasting still dominates the media today. In the 2006-2007 seasons, broadcasters – not cable, satellite or Internet programmers – had the top 200 highest rated programs on television. And all but a handful of the top 500 programs were on broadcast television. On the radio, the two satellite radio companies have a total of about 16 million subscribers and 50 million American last used the Internet for music, while over 240 million people listen to terrestrial radio on a weekly basis.
    It can be found at http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-272756A1.pdf

Head Honcho
    09-30-2007, 09:47 AM #2

good find

I have made it a point to read many FCC comments and statements that have happened since Powell left.
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

Mentor
    10-02-2007, 12:21 AM #3
    The FCC has 5 commissioners. At this point it is looking to me like:

Kevin Martin (chairman): Leaning towards merger
    Michael Copps: Definate no
    Jonathan Adelstein: Leaning towards merger
    Deborah Taylor Tate: Unknown
    Robert McDowell: Unknown

Update this list as you have information available. I think Tate is against consolidation, but sees competition for satellite. I havent heard anything from McDowell.

What do you think?

Addict
    10-02-2007, 12:09 PM #4
    My opinion is that I would be shocked if any of the 3 Republicans on the FCC would vote against this merger. The arguments Sirius and XM have made in their public filings are clear.

Newman, from what I have read in the press, Tate is one of the biggest free market advocates out there.