05-03-2009, 12:52 PM #1

Receiving Sirius despite cancellation

HI. I'm new here. About a year and a half ago, I called to cancel my Sirius subscription in preparation to put my vehicle in storage. As soon as I got off the phone with Sirius I went out to my truck and my receiver had indeed been deactivated. Fast forward to last February when I pulled the truck out of storage and to my surprise, my Sirius receiver worked and has been since.

Now I am an extremely honest person and will call and make myself legit, but before doing so I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or if there is some kind of promotion going on since the merger where they reactivate everyone for a few months for free like when you buy a new car with Sirius/XM. Didn't see anything about it on their website. Any thoughts?

Head Honcho
    05-03-2009, 01:23 PM #2
    Do me a favor and leave that radio on for a little while and see if it shuts off. I have heard accounts of people canceling and having the service work because it had not received the 'cancel update' from the satellite but, I have never heard of a receiver stop working and then magically work again. This is truly news to me. Keep us posted.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

05-03-2009, 06:16 PM #3
    I talked to my barber recently about sat radio. He told me he had bought a new Buick (I think that was the car he bought) years ago and had received a trial subscription to XM (again, I believe he stated XM). He never signed up for the service but has been receiving the service at no charge, even long after his trial period was supposed to have ended. I asked him if he would've become a subscriber if the service had been turned off, and he wasn't sure if he would have.

Without offering customer service any specific information, I simply stated to them in an e-mail that their service may be being offered for free long after the trial subscription runs out. I never receive a response from them.

05-06-2009, 10:53 PM #4
    Drove 6 hours yesterday. Still working like a champ. Maybe someone ordered a lifetime subscription and the operator transposed some numbers in the Sirius ID?

12-28-2018, 04:27 PM #5
    I have a Stiletto 2 that turned on earlier this year in May, when Sirius offered service free to everyone for two weeks. It's still on and operating today, albeit in Mono instead of Stereo.

06-15-2019, 04:32 PM #6

Red face

I recently acquired a 2016 Corvette and was told I would receive 3 months trial of Sirius Radio. I waited for the radio to be activated but nothing happened, and then I got a call from Sirius asking how it was going? To which I replied I had no service "Oh I'll get your trial started" was the response. Well nothing happened and since I was not in any hurry, I forgot it. A few days later - another call. Same promise. Nothing happened. Until about 10 weeks into the trial when the guy who called me actually activated the radio while I was on the call.

A few days later the radio got dicsonnected

I called Sirius and they told me the trial was over and they could not restart it. I tried to explain but obviously the call agent did not have that "script" to read back to me.

I concluded that trying to talk to Sirius is on a par with trying to talk to On-Star. I always get routed to the Philippines, or some other offshore call center and they never know what to do/say and the concept of customer service is lost in their canned scripts

So in short - I do not have Sirius. And it does not look like its in my future

Is this normal??

LOL!!

John A