Page 3 of 5 12345
    Enthusiast
    05-01-2009, 12:13 PM #21
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIrishXM View Post
    Tim a Tech Question for you,since i've seen your expertise posted here?

Could a subscription based music service be launched with the ANALOG airwaves that were auctioned off by the gov't.?

I would think the simple answer is yes or no but homer would be better qualifed to answer.but i think you talking about services like hdradio and or rds services.

this stuff below just really gets me a bit pissed and was just posted to the fcc site on this link

tyler you should rally the troops with a article

E. Free Option
    Responding to a question from one of the FCC staffers asking whether AIR is to remain free to anyone with an SDARS receiving device whether or not they were currently a Sirius XM customer, Mr. Shakur answered in the affirmative. He indicated that he would want to maintain free access to those with SDARs receivers in their cars that have not been activated, had an expired subscription or for others with mobile SDARs receivers on their laptops or other devices. The reasoning behind maintaining that position is to expand the audience reach beyond the Sirius XM subscriber base and to enable more Americans to have access to the unique content programs that would certainly be made available on the AIR network. Further, the diverse owners of content, who one time had difficult times accessing mass markets would be able to reach a market beyond what they would have had access to via an Internet radio station, for example. F. Mobile Access
    The content broadcast on the network would be available to anyone with mobile devices with Internet access and streaming capabilities. They would not need to invest in purchasing a SDARs transmitter device for their car, home or office to receive the content broadcast on the independent channels. The mobile phone for example, could be used as a radio. Responding to a query for the need to be on the SDARs network when the content can be made available via Internet, Ms. Malchado indicated that the power of the brand behind Sirius XM would command a larger audience for content providers even beyond the 19 million Sirius XM subscriber base.

Enthusiast
    05-01-2009, 02:39 PM #23

Talking Be the leader of good news.

Hello all. I have been lurking on this forum for months, taking in all the expert and speculative opinions. I must say that many of you are spot-on with your assessments and I have profited from the insight. I have bought and sold S/XM for years, but have never shorted the stocks as I have always believed in the value of the product and can see the bigger vision of where this company can go. I have always viewed the company as a broadcast network that owns some very nice content that no one else can touch.

With that, I wanted to ask if there is any technical or legal reason that DirecTv's content could not be downloaded to the iphone/itouch? Since DirecTv now has an app that allows "i users" to remotely set their DVRs, could SXM provide the link that truly makes the "mobile" come alive for DirecTV? Could users schedule to both DVR and download to their iphone and then watch whenever and wherever? I have not ventured into the iphone world, but having this capability would push me over the line.

What would be the value of Stern on DirecTV airways providing his trademark visual "candy"?

Also, I think it is interesting that the CC call was moved from 5/11 to 5/7, given that DISH's CC is on 5/11. Does Malone want to lead with something exiciting or does he just want to attend everything in one day?

Finally, I wanted to post something to get your juices flowing...it has been dullsville on this site this week.

Cheers.

Addict
    05-01-2009, 02:47 PM #24
    Tim a Tech Question for you,since i've seen your expertise posted here?

Could a subscription based music service be launched with the ANALOG airwaves that were auctioned off by the gov't.?
    I don't think so. analog signal won't support sending codes to unlock subscription radios. If that were the case, it would have been the way to go with FM, or even AM for that matter. Digital signals enable the use of unlock code transmission. I guess if you used encryption, you could use analog signal (similar to the way the navy used to broadcast teletype messages to ships at sea). It used HF radio analog signal with encryption keys changing daily. But the complexity in a civilian context would probably be too costly, but I guess you could sell FM radios with crypto built in and transmit to them. Not sure though.

Addict
    05-01-2009, 02:55 PM #25
    Well it's another week gone by and we are still stuck around .40 SP..
    Vol. has been low and games have been played with buyers getting in cheap.

Poison pills,another 1 billion shares wanted by company and auto's going BK.

Post away...
    I have to admit i never expected the stock to pop to 63 so quickly but I did
    always think that until all the auto bankruptcy stuff was worked out and !st
    quarter report was behind us that would be running in place. Seems logical.

Addict
    05-01-2009, 03:17 PM #26
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    So John what do you think about those Ford Fusion Hybrids selling well.
    Just the beginning.... lol.

Addict
    05-01-2009, 03:17 PM #27
    interesting...just reported by WSJ. So, despite the recession, subscriber based entertainment still strong. Don't know what's behind these numbers, but profit is profit.

"Comcast's earnings rose 5.4%, demonstrating continued resilience from the cable industry despite economic turmoil."

Mentor
    05-01-2009, 03:42 PM #28
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmaster View Post
    hey relmor ive been away for a week, just saw you became a celeb...GRATZ!!! lol
    What do you mean? Are you talking about savesirius? I didnt authorize that, that was all him. Embarrassing is what it is. Trying to use me to sell the movie.
    All my "fans" are lining up down the street right now....
    O geez...
    Wait, there he is.....
    One guy, the other line was for Wolverine....
    ;-)

Mentor
    05-01-2009, 04:10 PM #29
    Today, 12:51 PM #51
    john

Originally Posted by kingreecan
    Based on a thread I believe from yesterday by Homer, regarding the motives behind the poison pill, I posited this to Homer... anyone else, please feel free to put forth your interpretations of the recent news and how it impacts us 'low level' shareholders...

been awhile since I posted... hope all are well:

So, Homer, based on your opinions and interpretations, the likelihood is that Liberty is buying SXM for the purposes of an incredible tax break. If that is the case, and in 3 years from now they do the following, please describe what it might possibly mean from a shareholders perspective:

1. Liberty goes over 50% ownership in SXM (but not 100%).

2. Liberty buys 100% of SXM (which I think would mean SXM went private, right?).

Your reply to these questions is greatly appreciated; thanks for your time on them.

KR

kingreecan, I believe Liberty will own SIRIXM in 3 or 4 years. One only needs to see that that poison pill does not exclude Liberty, as a matter of fact they were the only ones excluded from this thing. From that you could see that they have full intentions on buying more shares, they are also not that far from owning 50% of the company and once that happens they can basically do whatever they want. Sure there could be massive law suits. But really once they get to 50% they will have all the voting power they need to take it private or do whatever they want. I can tell you, I dont like that Liberty was excluded from this thing one bit. Weather they do what I said they could or not it just puts another problem into the mix (someone else we have to trust to do the right thing for the rest of the shareholders).

In the end there is good and there is bad. The good is that the PPS will go up alot from here. The bad is we will most likely not be included in the real potential of this company. So if you dont mind getting 2 dollars in the end for your shares then it is good for you. If you invested in this company because you saw the potential in the size of that spectrum and the potential of the company to be a media giant. Then you will not be happy that you got cut short just as the company starts to show what it can do.

Today, 03:47 PM #53
    relmor2003

Originally Posted by john
    kingreecan, I believe Liberty will own SIRIXM in 3 or 4 years. One only needs to see that that poison pill does not exclude Liberty, as a matter of fact they were the only ones excluded from this thing. From that you could see that they have full intentions on buying more shares, they are also not that far from owning 50% of the company and once that happens they can basically do whatever they want. Sure there could be massive law suits. But really once they get to 50% they will have all the voting power they need to take it private or do whatever they want. I can tell you, I dont like that Liberty was excluded from this thing one bit. Weather they do what I said they could or not it just puts another problem into the mix (someone else we have to trust to do the right thing for the rest of the shareholders).

In the end there is good and there is bad. The good is that the PPS will go up alot from here. The bad is we will most likely not be included in the real potential of this company. So if you dont mind getting 2 dollars in the end for your shares then it is good for you. If you invested in this company because you saw the potential in the size of that spectrum and the potential of the company to be a media giant. Then you will not be happy that you got cut short just as the company starts to show what it can do.

Relmor:
    Best , most concise post on this subject Ive read. I think this is EXACTLY what will happen, and it definately puts a maximum price tag on our shares. If it was $10(very very down the line, huge optomism), its now like John said around $2-$3 dollars. Long time bagholders need to buy shares at these levels soon, or they will never break even. Could be nice lift just from these people realizing the only way out now is to buy more shares.

Moved this from the other thread as it is relavent to talk about over the weekend..
    Last edited by JohnnyIrishXM; 05-01-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Mentor
    05-01-2009, 04:19 PM #30
    Liberty won't take SiriusXM private IMHO,but they will fold it over into Liberty
    subsidiary by taking control of company and merging it by either CASH offer,
    Cash and Stock combo or straight stock swap..it won't happen for at least 3 years for IRS tax code purposes and siriusXM debt issues as well,which they will make sure they are debt free when they do,IMHO..
    Posted about this earlier as you will need a plan of when to sell or hold your shares with regards to each individual's own situation with regards to Avg price of holdings and loss or profit tolerance.