Enthusiast
    04-28-2009, 08:34 AM #1

Puerto Rico repeater "Fcc finally accept the documents "

the FCC finally accepted the filed documents, that Sirius submitted back in October 2008 to operate twenty repeaters for use in Puerto Rico. worth noting is it only mentions the Sirius portion of the spectrum.

and this could have led to lots of discussion within the halls of the FCC

this is not to be confused with any type of permission for repeater use but it took seven months to just accept the filed documents.

heres the request link from October.

and the FCC accepts the "(request)" for the filing on the 27th of April

well at least its moving

Guru
    04-28-2009, 08:41 AM #2
    Tim, they are unbelievable. The FCC are the ones that were so hot about it being in the agreement. It is this kind of shit that makes me question what kind of morons we have running our government.

P.S. Thanks again for that PM with the link.
    Last edited by john; 04-28-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Enthusiast
    04-29-2009, 04:08 AM #3
    john,

your welcome

this is not a new filing it took seven months for the fcc just to accept the document for some reason.

again i went back and read the fcc order on this section.I suspect sirius/xm are walking a very fine line,and was the reason this took so long for the fcc to accept the documents as the wording used in the order was in the plural form in regard to applicants and licenses. which is quoted below..

I don't see anything which would indicate it was only a requirement directed at the sirius operating unit. at this point the companies were merged and became a single operating name. which includes both operating units sirius and xm by default.

this issue could drag on for a while if i understand correctly what I'm reading.

unless the repeaters offer both the complete sirius and xm formats this could be construed as a default on a required license condition.imho and if they can some how now offer both services in only the sirius spectrum i would think the fcc would again have many many questions for management.

I hope the company's are not playing another word game with the fcc and shareholders like they did on the inter-operable device issue.

147. Applicants have committed voluntarily to file applications with the Commission, within three months of the consummation of the merger, to provide the Sirius satellite radio service to the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico using terrestrial repeaters and to promptly introduce such service upon grants of permanent authority by the Commission to operate these repeaters. We find that the public interest would be served by Applicants’ voluntary commitment to provide service to Puerto Rico. We also strongly encourage the merged entity to expand service to Alaska, Hawaii, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and other territories of the United States, where technically feasible and economically reasonable to do so.

"Service to Puerto Rico. Within three months of the consummation of the merger, the combined company will file the necessary applications to provide the Sirius satellite radio service to the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico using terrestrial repeaters and will, upon grant of the necessary permanent authorizations, promptly introduce such satellite radio service to the Commonwealth."

Enthusiast
    05-04-2009, 09:59 AM #4
    this request was filed on the tenth of april I suspect this is first active testing using a group this large.the 25 repeaters will cover both sirius and xm spectrum based on the filing which was accepted on 5/1/2009

edit this could indicate both services could become available in other areas outside of the us if both services are feed to the ground repeater network, i take this as a plus for those south of the american border

heres the link

SAT-STA-20090410-00042 E
    Special Temporary Authority
    Date Filed: 04/10/2009 15:09:11:64000
    Sirius XM Radio Inc.
    Sirius XM Radio Inc. requests Special Temporary Authority for a period of 180 day to operate 25 terrestrial repeaters with an effective
    isotropically radiated power (EIRP) up to 2000 watts at specified locations throughout the United States. Sirius XM proposes to operate these
    repeaters in the 2320-2345 MHz frequency band allocated exclusively to the use of the Satellite Digital Audio Radio Service (SDARS).