Enthusiast
    04-27-2009, 03:23 PM #1

Wcs,fcc,siriusxm agree to joint testing

Well its about time this imho is a major step forward in the process.

heres the link

Re: Amendment of Part 27 of the Commission’s Rules to Govern the Operation
    of Wireless Communications Services in the 2.3 GHz Band (WT Docket No.
    07-293) and Establishment of Rules and Policies for the Digital Audio
    Radio Satellite Service in the 2310-2360 MHz Frequency Band (IB Docket
    No. 95-91)

NOTICE OF ORAL EX PARTE PRESENTATION

Dear Ms. Dortch:

I am writing pursuant to Section 1.1206(b)(2) of the Commission’s Rules to notify the
    Commission that yesterday, Kurt Schaubach and Jennifer McCarthy of NextWave Broadband,
    Inc., Ron Olexa of Horizon Wi-Com, LLC, and Paul Sinderbrand of Wilkinson Barker Knauer,
    and I met on behalf of the WCS Coalition with Julius Knapp, Bruce Romano, Ron Repasi,
    Rashmi Doshi, Walter Johnston, Patrick Forster, and Steve Martin of the Office of Engineering
    and Technology, James Schlichting, Joel Taubenblatt, Roger Noel, Jay Jackson, Richard Arsenault, Moslem Sawez and David Hu of the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, and Chip

Fleming and Gardner Foster of the International Bureau to present its proposal for a demonstration of coexistence between the Wireless Communications Service and the satellite Digital Audio Radio Service to take place shortly in Northern Virginia. Also in attendance were representatives of Sirius XM Radio Inc. (“Sirius XM”).

Pursuant to Sections 1.1206(b)(2) and 1.49(f) of the Commission’s Rules, this letter is
    being filed electronically with the Commission via the Electronic Comment Filing System.
    Should you have any questions regarding this presentation, please contact the undersigned.
    Respectfully submitted,
    /s/ Mary N. O’Connor
    Mary N. O’Connor

Guru
    04-27-2009, 03:28 PM #2
    seems u got something here but im still unclear as to what this is talking about, do thwey have to get permission from the fcc to be broadcaast over wifi on an iphone?

Mentor
    04-27-2009, 03:38 PM #3
    NO, there are interferance issues between the WCS band and SDARS band. They are working together to get these issues corrected. It really does not affect SDARS a whole lot right now, but has implications for the future.

Mentor
    04-27-2009, 03:42 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    NO, there are interferance issues between the WCS band and SDARS band. They are working together to get these issues corrected. It really does not affect SDARS a whole lot right now, but has implications for the future.
    Cell phone service through satellite technology?
    Or using SiriusXM repeaters as a data transfer mechanism, like level3 does, for instance. Or to deliver cell phone signals maybe?
    Last edited by relmor2003; 04-27-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Guru
    04-27-2009, 04:44 PM #5
    no, i think its just to demonstrate that you don't get static when listening to sirius xm and drive by a wcs transmission tower.

i would not read too much into this IMO

Enthusiast
    04-27-2009, 04:54 PM #6
    this has been drug out since 2003 and sirius asked in 2006 for just this action to be taken..not to mention the simple fact of xm/sirius has been operating with a temporary license which has a degree of risk.

Mentor
    04-27-2009, 05:21 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    no, i think its just to demonstrate that you don't get static when listening to sirius xm and drive by a wcs transmission tower.

i would not read too much into this IMO
    Ahhh. Still. Those repeaters could one day be reoutfitted to send other types of data streams no?

Enthusiast
    04-27-2009, 05:40 PM #8
    yes they could be replaced.but based on the sdars license which contains wording that excludes extending the reach outside of their network. i think their hands are tied unless they get the wording changed
    Last edited by tim wallick; 04-27-2009 at 06:10 PM.