Page 7 of 11 ... 56789 ...
    Enthusiast
    04-22-2009, 12:37 PM #61
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmaster View Post
    i keep making a big deal about the iphone app. i believe it is...slacker and pandora have over 1 mill downloads each.... iphone app will help reduce churn and bring in new customers. more importantly , it is a far better product than the other 2.
    I think the IPHONE is a big deal but riddle me this, we all know it's coming as SIRI said so in quarter 2... why do people expect such an immediate spike on the official news release? I mean I would love to see that but it's not really new news... no?

Guru
    04-22-2009, 12:38 PM #62
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    so im guessing no one knows, its hard to hold a core if i cant choose which shares to sell.

It is easy when you get to the 400 or 500 percent profit mark sell. You cant be pissed even if it gos up what the hell you made 400 or 500 % on your money and if it gos down then buy it back again.

Mentor
    04-22-2009, 12:40 PM #63
    Generally, the IRS will allow you to decide which shares were actually sold.

It states in the IRS codes that you must communicate with your broker your desire to sell which lot. So email your broker and tell them that you want to designate which block you want to sell. They will tell you they don't have the capability to do this, and to just do it manually on your tax return.

In my opinion (and my opinion only), this should suffice for "notifying your broker regarding which lot you want to sell". Make sure you have that email handy, in case you ever get audited to prove that you did infact inform them, and they said that you can take care of it yourself. (in addition to not offering financial advice because I am not a financial advisor, I am also not advising you on legal or tax matters, because I am not a lawyer or a tax proffesional.).

Guru
    04-22-2009, 12:42 PM #64
    newman do u actually email them? and u have to do it before?

04-22-2009, 12:47 PM #65
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo2424 View Post
    Iwhy do people expect such an immediate spike on the official news release? I mean I would love to see that but it's not really new news... no?

B/C we jumped from the .30's TO 60's on very little to no news at all

Addict
    04-22-2009, 12:47 PM #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    That is my only concern. CC must be held by May 15th (Friday). They typically announce results on a Tuesday (12th) or Thursday (14th). They put out the announcment about the CC usually the Thursday before (7th). This puts my 2 week time frame RIGHT AT the time they will announce the CC. I don't know if that will hinder or help the stock price. Then, I have absolutely no idea how earnings will be, so I don't know how the stock will react. If they have great earnings and minimal/no subscriber loss, the stock could skyrocket. If they have half-assed earnings and serious subscriber loss, we are all screwed short term. I just don't know what to expect out of Q1 (typically the worst quarter of all).
    Yes. I agree on your skyrocket scenario for sure. I think if earnings are lousy, but guidance is good, stock still flies. If they have bad or neutral Q1 and give no guidance or pessimistic guidance, stock drops. I'm betting we fall somewhere between 'skyrocket' and up some, because I think guidance will be good, and the street will buy into it.

Mentor
    04-22-2009, 12:49 PM #67
    I do it once each year. I have that email on file for that tax year. I do not do it for each and every trade. I have been told that this is acceptable by Scottrade, but past that I have never verified it. Again, I am no lawyer and not a tax professional. I do not know if this would hold up in an audit situation.

Guru
    04-22-2009, 12:53 PM #68
    well shit if the broker cant identify the exact shares sold then how the hell can you.

Mentor
    04-22-2009, 12:53 PM #69
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo2424 View Post
    I think the IPHONE is a big deal but riddle me this, we all know it's coming as SIRI said so in quarter 2... why do people expect such an immediate spike on the official news release? I mean I would love to see that but it's not really new news... no?
    1. market sentiment
    2. after the sirius app is released, each week when apple tallies the total downloads and lists the most popular it will make news(not headlines) and sirius will be high on the top downloads list. if/when it's on the top of the downloads list it can translate to higher revenue and less churn.
    3. guidance from the internet stream DURING A QUARTER. we will know how many people download this app, and get a clearer picture of how this aspect of the company is making money.

Mentor
    04-22-2009, 12:54 PM #70
    Everyone have a good day ,off to play golf in my wed. golf league...

FORE!!!!

Page 7 of 11 ... 56789 ...