Page 1 of 26 12311 ...
    Mentor
    04-17-2009, 03:03 AM #1

SIRI Intraday Thread: Friday April 17th/Weekend Edition

I think it will be a good think to pick off where we finished yesterday's intraday thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by MLSiri
    Quote Originally Posted by MLSiri
    Thanks for the chart and the explanations, Relmor! ...
    I'm taking your advise (and the other esteemed members of SA/SB/SW) to sell a portion of my core (10-20%) at around .51 and then rebuying on the predictable retraction to accumulate more shares for the upward push. As you say: wash, rinse, repeat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman
    Whynot: A lot of the talk you hear about selling is from people that are looking to TRADE the stock. It all about selling on the spikes and buying on the retracements. It is risky, for sure, but it can also net you some nifty cash...

I want to add in a disclaimer though: I would NOT recommend doing this with your entire position. There is never any garauntee that the SP will retrace where you want it to, and you don't want to get caught chasing the stock upwards. Only use a small portion of your position to play with. Always maintain a CORE position, and never sell that until it reaches your goal that you made when you bought the stock.... You did have a goal when you bought it, didn't you?
    Exactly, Newman! It all goes back to the "plan" we had when initiating the trade. This "wash, rinse, and repeat" tactic is not intended for an entire SIRI portfolio (unless you have more balls than the NBA draft lottery), but rather to "trade" a smaller SIRI "position" (i.e., block(s) or lot(s)) and gain shares by playing the hand we have been delt by the MMs (advance, retrace, consolidate, advance...). Only the duration between these events will vary. You must DYODD, and assess your personal risk tolerance and ability to withstand the joy of massive profits, or the anguish of reduced profits, or even losses.

As suggested many times here before, always maintain a "core" position (50% or more) of your total SIRI holdings (portfolio) that you want to ride to the top, while using a smaller, or new position to play the predictable give and take that history has revealed will be the future of this or any stock. If you reinvest the total amount of your sale at the predictable lower SP, then you will accumulate more shares than you originally started with (the magic of compound investing!). At some point, you may even recoup your initial investment and continue to play the stock with only house money.

IMMHO, it is unrealistic to believe there will be a sudden and uniterrupted meteoric rise (i.e., from .40 to 1.00) without some downward or horizontal movement in between. Hey, I'd take a 150% profit in one day regardless of the number of shares I owned. Is this realistic or probable? Probably not.

So Whynot - take what the MMs give and enhance your SIRI portfolio - it's the gift that keeps on giving.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by MLSiri; Today at 12:40 AM.

Mentor
    04-17-2009, 03:05 AM #2
    Just as a disclaimer: I believe in what I said above. I have a sell in for 0.47 for 25% of my shares. Once that sell hits, I will wait for it to retrace back to support levels at 0.42-0.43 and rebuy.

BTW: Just in case I am wrong, I also have a buy in for 0.31 as well.

Enthusiast
    04-17-2009, 03:44 AM #3
    NEWMAN (a la Jerry Seinfeld)!

I've got a 60-day sell order placed at .51 for about 15% of my SIRI holdings with a plan to rebuy at the levels you indicated, above. Of course, pulling the trigger on the sale will depend on market conditions that exist when SIRI sniffs the .50 level (i.e., may hold out for a few pesos more!).

Good luck and happy trading to you, sir!

Mentor
    04-17-2009, 05:20 AM #4
    Good morning everyone,we had a good day yesterday,here's a link that will help explain why and how MM'S allow a stock to move up or down..

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/...0News/2276548/

Mentor
    04-17-2009, 07:19 AM #5
    Wow,looks like we are going higher today as we hit .50 in Pre-market with some 5k trades,incidentally this is first time in about 2 weeks or so that we have had trades in the 7am to 8am hour,good sign,some one wants in bad!!!!

Currently at .4599 at 7:15am,the ride up is so much fun,enjoy it,but remember it will pull back a little and consolidate again,probably won't see .30's again,,,JMHO DYODD..

They are trying to walk it back down now,probably open at .42 to .43...
    Last edited by JohnnyIrishXM; 04-17-2009 at 07:41 AM.

04-17-2009, 07:48 AM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIrishXM View Post
    Wow,looks like we are going higher today as we hit .50 in Pre-market with some 5k trades,incidentally this is first time in about 2 weeks or so that we have had trades in the 7am to 8am hour,good sign,some one wants in bad!!!!

Currently at .4599 at 7:15am,the ride up is so much fun,enjoy it,but remember it will pull back a little and consolidate again,probably won't see .30's again,,,JMHO DYODD..
    Good Morning Johnny,

Forgive my ignorance but I thought premarket was only between the
    hours of 8:00 and 9:30am?
    What, if any, effect do you think an announcement by GM today, will have
    on Sirius?
    Hoping for another good day, UP is so much more fun!

Julie

Enthusiast
    04-17-2009, 08:12 AM #7
    heres a friendly piece from adage..

I agree with it in the context of going forward into the digital landscape for content do to the simple fact of all the related copyrights issues.Couple with the current ongoing decline in most forms of legacy broadcasting and their revenues. Siriusxm must engage and embrace the public within the context of the real art form of radio on a national basis.

If satrad has been playing a waiting game trying to time the launch of real action which could position it as a primary content provider today may well be the day to start. enough time has been wasted waiting to move forward into the digital age.

on another note i read a bit yesterday where one of the old famous am radio stations went dark after about fifty years. even read where many am or fm stations for sale have no buyers looking even at greatly reduced prices.

in 2001 the value of seven hundred stations sold was in excess of five billion dollars, the almost like amount of station sales in 2008 had a value of just over 700 million dollars.

I think another round of station fallout will take place with the onset of copyright fees for some of old broadcasters which should or could help siriusxm if they have done the correct footwork for digital life.

Radio, Radio: How to Bring Credibility Back
    Marketers, Audiences Still Need a Medium With Human Touch, Local AwarenessPosted by Jon Cohen on 04.16.09 @ 01:30 PM

Jon Cohen
    In a time when we live our media lives huddled around web browsers and staring at our phones, what is the relevance of broadcast radio to marketers?

I grew up listening and loving local radio -- Howard Stern on WNBC and -Rock, WLIR on Long Island and DJ Red Alert's show on Kiss FM NYC. Those were the stations that introduced me to The Clash, The Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Kenneth Keith Kallenbach and other legends. The DJs knew everything about the artists they introduced, and the stations took risks and were at the center of what was going on culturally. Local radio introduced us to the music we came to love and the brands we came to desire, and personalities like Howard Stern single-handedly built brands (i.e. Snapple) with a command of their audiences.

I am listening to Pandora as I write this; it's learned what I like, and I can skip what I don't. Musically, it's close to my perfect radio station. There are other amazing, similar sites (Lala, Last FM, Spotify, etc.) and, while you listen, you can browse the internet and learn more than ever before about the bands you are hearing. IPhone apps have even made the entire experience portable, but something is still missing: I still do not feel like I am really listening to the radio. As a listener, there is no soul behind the music I am hearing, and, as a consumer, the static ads or pre-rolls for the Brita water filter do not engage me. Local radio had a personality that has not been captured and duplicated online ... yet.

There is no substitute for the element of surprise, hearing that great new track within the context of other songs on the radio. There's a certain credibility in hearing someone knowledgeable talk up and introduce you to a new band, but, as Elvis Costello so eloquently forecasted in his song "Radio, Radio," the commercialization of radio has nearly destroyed all that was great about the medium. Many of today's stations are programmed centrally, voice-tracked remotely, and, from an advertising standpoint, sold from a central office by people with little first-hand knowledge of the market the client is trying to reach. Listenership is down, and advertising dollars continue to shift from radio to online efforts. The listener/consumer is no longer engaged in radio as a mass medium.

That said, when it's done right, radio can still mean a lot to the engaged listener, and it can have a powerful impact for a marketer. Radio can round out a campaign and provide a local call-to-action that digital cannot. The evolution of radio continues to be exciting despite the fact that it has been overshadowed by the growth of the iPod and the mobile internet experience. New iPhone apps are creating great opportunities for radio stations to be heard in the context of today's new media landscape (check out Public Radio Tuner, AOL Radio, etc.). I listen to Sirius XM (Left of Center Blog Radio rules), stream KCRW, The Current in Minneapolis and BBC Radio 1 from the UK.

Great radio is still out there, it is just overshadowed by the perception that all commercial radio is "the same" and dying. Podcasts, Sirius Radio and streaming radio offer a great future, and there continue to be powerful local stations that Cornerstone will continue to make an important part of our marketing mix, like Hot 97/NYC, Live 105/San Francisco, KROQ/Los Angeles, KPWR/Los Angeles, etc. But for media to succeed in today's world, it needs to provide convenience and a function based on today's technology, and most importantly be entertaining, have a credible voice and unparalleled quality. Most major local radio stations continue to lag behind on technology and continue to eliminate the programming and personalities that at one time made their medium powerful.

Radio must keep up and determine the right way to deliver smart, engaging content, or it will be faced with a younger generation that is growing up without ever experiencing its brilliance.

~ ~ ~
    Jon Cohen is co-CEO of Cornerstone, a full-service lifestyle-marketing firm based in New York. For more than 12 years, Mr. Cohen has executed customized brand campaigns for a roster of A-list clients targeting the key demographic of 15- to 34-year-olds.

Mentor
    04-17-2009, 08:14 AM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by julietoo View Post
    Good Morning Johnny,

Forgive my ignorance but I thought premarket was only between the
    hours of 8:00 and 9:30am?
    What, if any, effect do you think an announcement by GM today, will have
    on Sirius?
    Hoping for another good day, UP is so much more fun!

Julie
    Hi Julietoo,yes for us lowly retail investors it is between 8-9:30am but for MM's and brokers they can trade 7-8am ..have to run be back later.

04-17-2009, 08:40 AM #9
    Good Morning Tim,

Great article! Thanks for posting it.
    Hope you have a good Friday.

Julie

Enthusiast
    04-17-2009, 08:44 AM #10
    The CEO of NYSE is totally irresponsible to make statements on CNBC that the markets could retest the lows before moving higher. Was that a signal to all his buddies to short the market? Did some of his buddies miss the recent run-up and now has to drop the market so they can get in? His statements are criminal and should be immediately investigated by ALL law enforcement agencies.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ...