Page 16 of 21 ... 61415161718 ...
    04-13-2009, 02:33 PM #151
    Brandon won't be in today, sorry.

04-13-2009, 02:42 PM #152
    Here's another HD article and excerpt:
    http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...ing-milestones

To get a wider sampling, I asked my 100,000 Twitter followers if they had tried HD radio. Sixteen people responded.

A dozen wrote that they love the audio quality and, in particular, the variety of those shadow (multicast) FM channels.

Half of them complained, however, about reception problems like "hunting," where the radio switches back and forth between the HD and regular versions of a channel.

Three respondents work in the radio industry. All three expressed doubts about HD radio's survival. They cited the cost for radio stations to outfit themselves for HD broadcasts, and for consumers to buy the radios.
    The biggest worry, according to one radio guy, is the concept. What draws radio customers isn't sound quality, it's programming. Take satellite radio: it's not the audio fidelity that draws an audience, it's those 300 (mostly commercial-free) channels -- featuring the likes of Howard Stern, Major League Baseball, Martha Stewart and others, as well as dozens of narrowly programmed music stations. HD's multicast channels could fulfill much the same mission, but these days, few stations have the money or manpower to work on HD channels.

That explains the five Twitter pals who independently mentioned that they listen to Internet radio more than HD radio these days, especially on the iPhone. It may not sound as good, but wow, what programming -- radio stations from all over the world, all available free.

Mentor
    04-13-2009, 02:50 PM #153
    Quote Originally Posted by edeyoung99 View Post
    JohnnyIrish...That was funny...LMAO!!!!!!
    Not funny - Pathetic.

Whatever respect that was once gained here in financial acumen and trading ability and\or experience is not worth the degenerate, sophomoric, junior high vocabulary and disposition of those who ought to know better.

Little boy's, grow up - Look up the word character in the dictionary and sear it into your fallen craniums.
    Last edited by Los Tiburones; 04-13-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: "Grow up" replacing "grown up"

Mentor
    04-13-2009, 03:01 PM #154
    To all Baseball fans here,we have lost a legend,Harry Kalas My Phillies beloved Hall of Fame broadcastor has passed away today from a heart attack
    in Wash.D.C at the Ballpark...If anyone has heard him do baseball or the voice of NFL Films,you Morn with all today..
    Thank you for allowing this post...

Enthusiast
    04-13-2009, 03:14 PM #155
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIrishXM View Post
    To all Baseball fans here,we have lost a legend,Harry Kalas My Phillies beloved Hall of Fame broadcastor has passed away today from a heart attack
    in Wash.D.C at the Ballpark...If anyone has heard him do baseball or the voice of NFL Films,you Morn with all today..
    Thank you for allowing this post...
    I'm listening to the radio broadcast now and man it is tough. Tough day for us over here.

Harry will truly be missed.

04-13-2009, 03:15 PM #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Tiburones View Post
    Not funny - Pathetic.

Whatever respect that was once gained here in financial acumen and trading ability and\or experience is not worth the degenerate, sophomoric, junior high vocabulary and disposition of those who ought to know better.

Little boy's, grown up - Look up the word character in the dictionary and sear it into your fallen craniums.

I do not believe that Johnny was saying anything maliciously. As a matter of fact, he welcomed her after his statement. I thought it was funny and if their is an apology in order, then it shall be given.

And...... I am not going to look up the word "character". I know what character means. DO NOT INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE!!!!! But can you tell me what "acumen" means.... Lighten up Los.

Mentor
    04-13-2009, 03:21 PM #157
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughes View Post
    I'm listening to the radio broadcast now and man it is tough. Tough day for us over here.

Harry will truly be missed.
    Yes indeed,Harry and Whitey together again,makes you want to be in heaven for the call on a Babe Ruth homer.....

Mentor
    04-13-2009, 03:23 PM #158
    Quote Originally Posted by edeyoung99 View Post
    I do not believe that Johnny was saying anything maliciously. As a matter of fact, he welcomed her after his statement. I thought it was funny and if their is an apology in order, then it shall be given.

And...... I am not going to look up the word "character". I know what character means. DO NOT INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE!!!!! But can you tell me what "acumen" means.... Lighten up Los.
    There is no apology needed edeyoung99,just disregard pathetic comments like that....

Addict
    04-13-2009, 03:24 PM #159
    Quote Originally Posted by buddylee View Post
    That explains the five Twitter pals who independently mentioned that they listen to Internet radio more than HD radio these days, especially on the iPhone. It may not sound as good, but wow, what programming -- radio stations from all over the world, all available free.
    Problem is, it's not going to be FREE. And if it is free, the content will suck. There is no live audio entertainment medium that can compete with S-XM in terms of content and mobility in a car. None. All this talk about internet streaming to cars is not feasible today via wifi or wimax. WiFi infrastructure is ad hoc and not available for broad coverage at this time. WiMax is new and no where. I've said this before: whoever builds out a robust wifi or wimax system won't provide service for free! For example, while I was in Sarasota FL a few months ago, I tried to access wifi via my laptop and was presented only with pay services. Even when I went to a Starbucks (or someother joint like that), I had to sign up and pay for wifi. Point is, it's not available everywhere, and it's not free everywhere. No system provides the blanket coast to coast coverage like S-XM. None. And, none of these 'cutting edge' internet devices are as easy to use as simply turning on the radio like S-XM.
    And...iPhone...great device.....but it has limitations. AT&T as a carrier sucks. Not as easy to use as a simple radio. It will only help S-XM when the iPhone app is ready too.
    Last edited by underway; 04-13-2009 at 03:26 PM.

04-13-2009, 03:29 PM #160
    At least Harry saw them win the series and ring ceremony, that ball is outtttttaaaa heerrrrrreeee!!!!!!!!

Page 16 of 21 ... 61415161718 ...