Page 1 of 12 12311 ...
    Mentor
    04-20-2009, 01:42 AM #1

Daily Market Watch - Week of 4/20/2009

No ambition this week, huh Bill? That's ok, I'll start it...

I still like my portfolio image... See it posted below? That is perrrty, aint it?

I want to pick up some FNM tomorrow morning as a long term play. I think the worst is behind us, and some of the poor battered stocks are going to benefit the most. FNM is one of those. I also want to watch the OEM segment to see if they take a nasty hit to GMs announcment of BK being "probable". If so, I may pick up Ford again.

Looking for a pullback on SIRI... I sold at 47, and I really don't think I will have a problem buying back in lower this week. It has already run up over 35% last week, it is due for a pullback in my opinion.

And now for the last post in last week's thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping
    hey bill, thx for the compliment, i was just playing an earnings call with hayz, hoping they would suprise, they are not that bad off, only drop 10 percent in sales in this curent climate is not that bad, its just i think that going concern is going to drop it some more, i dont think they will bk but i dont think that will be clear for awhile longer. Might buy back in if this going concern makes the sp drop far enough. Im only playing a couple hundred so risk is non existent. That other stock was VC, and yes they went bk, lol i got lucky and dumped it before the bk went down and took a tiny tiny loss. I dont think hayz is as bad off as vc was though. the latest release said no risk of default due to the going concern but i still think sp will drop, i could be dead wrong though cause sales werent that bad. will see monday here in about 7 hours gn all

Enthusiast
    04-20-2009, 06:22 AM #2
    and todays date is the 20th....was it a late night or a early wake up without coffee.

Guru
    04-20-2009, 08:47 AM #3
    no pullback yet newman, i dont think we will get a pull back for a few more days, and then it wont be a huge pull back, we wont see .30 again imo

Guru
    04-20-2009, 09:14 AM #4
    Level 3 Enhances Video Services Portfolio With Launch of New Managed Video Network Services
    Last update: 4/20/2009 8:00:00 AM
    LAS VEGAS, April 20, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Level 3 Communications, Inc. (LVLT) today announced that it is delivering a new managed video network service (MVNS) to Fox Entertainment Group, Inc., providing direct fiber connections among 35 Fox locations, including the Fox News Headquarters in New York City.
    Level 3's MVNS is a flexible managed video offering for broadcasters, enabling point-to-point and point-to-multipoint broadcast video delivery between customers' locations via Level 3's high-bandwidth fiber-optic network. The service seamlessly integrates IP and data services from Level 3's award-winning portfolio and dynamically allocates and prioritizes bandwidth between different services, giving broadcasters maximum flexibility.
    Level 3 is delivering a customized MVNS network solution that allows Fox to deliver high-definition TV signals among Fox's various locations throughout the country.
    "With Level 3's solution, Fox can deliver news - both live broadcast video and prerecorded content - to stations throughout the country with just a few mouse clicks. The transition from satellite to fiber-optics dramatically increases the immediacy of delivery and totally eliminates the need for producers to be concerned with availability of capacity allowing them to focus on the task at hand, reporting the news. As added benefits, fiber optic delivery will improve the quality of the picture we deliver and will give us a long-term platform for future growth," said Andrew G. Setos, Fox Group's president of engineering. "We turned to Level 3 because they understand the business of broadcast delivery and have shown over our long term relationship that they are fully capable and willing to deliver a scalable solution that will grow with our needs."
    "Level 3 has delivered the most-watched events on television and our network and experience in the industry makes us an ideal partner for a broadcaster like Fox," said Mark Taylor, senior vice president of Level 3's Content Markets Group. "Our MVNS service allows broadcasters to efficiently migrate from full live video feeds to file-based video distribution, which the industry is moving toward for cost and efficiency purposes."

Guru
    04-20-2009, 09:21 AM #5
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1240..._whats_news_us

Bank of America Posts Profit, Says Credit Quality Still Weakening

Bank of America Corp.'s first-quarter net income more than tripled and the company said its Merrill Lynch acquisition contributed more than $3 billion to net income.

Chairman and Chief Executive Ken Lewis said that the company welcomed the profit amid the harsh economic environment, adding that "we continue to face extremely difficult challenges primarily from deteriorating credit quality driven by weakness in the economy and growing unemployment."

Bank of America is considered particularly vulnerable to unemployment, which economists ...

Guru
    04-20-2009, 10:05 AM #6
    well hayz has dropped a slight bit but it is holding up well overall, be interesting to see what happens going into close.

Guru
    04-20-2009, 05:29 PM #7

Daily Market Watch - Week of 4/20/2009

How's that for ambition? lol

Well, I made out today. Sold OCNF yesterday at 1.61 and rebought it today at 1.28, so I am happy.

ABK fell through its own ass and strangled itself with its own sphincter.

FREE held really well considering

SSCCQ held at the opening of .090 at the end of the day.

Really exciting stuff, eh?

I was prepared for this pullback though, that is why I sold OCNF yesterday because I knew it would fall today or Tuesday.

Now we get to see how fast it comes back up. It should come back up fast or it is going to take a big swan dive for a while, but I think it will come back up fast. There was a ton of profit-taking today as the time was due.

I put in a couple of orders today in pennies that didn't execute (I did that this morning), then I had to run home for a minute, and checked my computer and canceled them and swooped up OCNF again.

Can a story get much more exciting than this?

I remember VC now, Tripps. Man they did everything that you could think of.

I won't get political in this post. I will later this evening, lol

Hope you had a great trading day,

Bill

Enthusiast
    04-20-2009, 07:28 PM #8
    Regardless of the nosedive today, or any tidal wave of growth over the next few months.....I'm NOT selling this stock. I'm buying and accumulating until we're way over a buck.

I did sell some other stocks today that had already treated me very nicely over Q1, to grab some more shares of: SIRI, AIB, FTE, BCS, CSE and ACAS.

LOVIN' BEING A SIRI LONG!

Cheers,
    -Whynot

Guru
    04-21-2009, 01:13 AM #9

OK, now to politics and reality

My MAIN concern right now within the market is that the government is going to take the money they invested into the banks and convert it into common stock from preferred stock. The danger is there that the government will officially be the principal stock holder in these banks. They also plan on doing this after the supposed stress test where they will force banks to take money and then do the same thing. This is a true nationalization of the banks, but coming through the back door.

Now, when they do this it will cause dilution of the stocks for these companies and make investors' stock less valuable by a bunch....turn it into real crap stock. This also gives the government big voting rights for being the principal share owner. Very very scary!!

Consequently, this will affect the whole market, as before when the financials took a dump. So what I am thinking is: Is the market going to start whip-sawing again? Will it take another leg or two down?

Bumbo doesn't like the stock market, he only likes control.

My question is.....how long should I hang on to any stock with this happening? Really really scary, but in the meantime I will go on as normal with a big eye open and ready to hit the sell button.

Keep your eye on the financials....very important. I wouldn't touch them with a nine foot pole right now.

Be ready to keep your powder dry as possible is my philosophy.

Have a great trading day in the morning -

Bill

(Most of this post was from a post that I wrote to LookinUp.....I am too lazy to type it again and to get myself all wound up again....True story though)

Mentor
    04-21-2009, 02:44 AM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    no pullback yet newman, i dont think we will get a pull back for a few more days, and then it wont be a huge pull back, we wont see .30 again imo
    You were saying Tripp? Sure, it spiked up 25% before it pulled back, but it did pull back, and dropped 3% for the day!

I actually sold off right before the high at 62.2, but then got worried about the little headfake rally once it had dropped to 54, then started spiking back up real quick, so I rebought the same sized lot at 57, so an overall profit of 5.2 cents per share. I still have dry powder, and would almost be willing to bet that we will see 45 tomorrow. I do have a buy order in at 42, might move that up slightly, but I want to see how the action goes in the morning first.

Did pick up my FNM today at 76 cents per share. We will see how that does.

BAC pulled back 20% and got me interested, but still a bit expensive in my blood, and then worried about the whole government mess... no thanks.

Ford has a decent pullback today as well and I thought about picking some up. I just don't thik the market is going to be in a good mood tomorrow, and there will be buying opportunities everywhere. I may pick up F around close tomorrow.

Bill: Congrats on saving some cash on ONCF. I had looked at that one, but it had just had a decent runup. I may look at it again tomorrow... I just need to save some cash for Sirius. Im running low on my spec portion because I've been using all my gains to buy these other stocks! Oh, and I forgot to post my portfolio pic last night, so I add it here: Perty aint it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 12 12311 ...