Page 20 of 30 ... 101819202122 ...
    Mentor
    04-09-2009, 09:19 PM #191
    Quote Originally Posted by otone View Post
    Newman, I don't see how Internet connectivity will "ONLY HELP" Sirius. I can see how it would hurt Sirius as well. I see Subscribers who really only care about sports, dropping Sirius once all the different sports come out with their own Internet Apps. If Internet in the car and 3g coverage becomes fairly common, I won't don't see how Sirius XM will be able to justify carrying sports.

I also liked the article in the News section. I'm keen to see how they start promoting SiriusXM in the coming months. They really need to start having a prominent presence in the concert scene along with broadcasting live concerts.

Personally.. I'm worried that more providers of unique content will go the internet route as this method of transmission becomes ubiquitous. Eventually, some smart person will figure out how to set up a "store front" and, in coordination with the various content providers, create various packages that will make it extremely easy for people to purchase the different content (Sports, live concerts, whatever).

Where is that going to leave Sirius?

Before you or anyone else beats me up on that, I'm holding over 130k shares that I have averaged down to .80 since the SP was over 3 bucks. I'm a true long (and some may say truly stupid). Having said that, I'd appreciate hearing your or anyone else's opinion on how they think the emerging internet presence of sports (for now.. other content later) will affect Sirius subscriber numbers. I'm guessing we get to .80 which makes me whole, but doesn't seem to be enough for the stress this thing has put me through. I'd love for my bet to pay off and in a big way, but I have to say that I'm worried in the long term (2 years out?).

So how bout it? Come up with some concrete examplese of how Sirius can thrive in this market place?
    Your points are 100 percent future based. So lets focus on the future. You also make assumptions. So I will make assumptions.
    Lets assume Pandora and Slacker and every other internet radio station has to pay royalties, and this enables them to no longer be a viable free service. You now have 3 choices if you are in this industry.
    1. Go out of business.
    2. Increase advertising on the site to compensate(never happen).
    3. Charge for the service.
    So if they are charging for the service, it wont be much, or why would you do it? Slacker isnt better than Sirius. Content, or anything else. The only thing it had on it it was either cheap or free. If its not free, you might as well get sat radio.
    Then theres HD radio. If it takes sat radio as long to get going as this, it wont be a factor. As of right now, its going nowhere. Sirius will not be mandated to put HD radio in their radios. The FCC wording used is a clue here. They admitted that they were allowed to merge because they DID have competition, HD radio mentioned. Now.... If your the government, are you going to require Microsoft to make windows ask you if your sure you want this operating system, and wouldnt you like Mac instead? You dont ask your competitor to allow you to compete on their dime to boot. Crazy. Then theirs Iphone/Ipod music solution. Blackberry. Internet streaming. ONce again, coverage, content, and interruptions. Sorry, but a phone is still a phone, You have to use it. You cant listen to music and talk on the phone at the same time. Plus its so small, hard to use in a car. Who wants to risk their 300 dollar phone constantly with the challenge of providing music constantly, to systems that might need more juice. You going to being your Iphone into your living room and stream pandora through it, into your 100 watt speakers? Really? Whos doing that? No, Iphone is however an excellent music alternative generator, of which now SiriusXM is available.
    Internet in cars? Naa, more of a visual medium. You need to see to change stations, etc... Hard to hold your laptop with a full car too. Not buying it. Sorry Im not too up too date on what the NEWEST cars support, but this is soooo untouched still, its immediate threat is not a worry. Medium term, no worries. Long term... Geez who knows, even IBM could be out of business in 5 years. How does any one know so sure whats going to happen in 5 years? But we can see 1 or 2 years away. And Homer seems to think their balance sheet is ready to shine. Dont need to add more subs, its all gravey.
    Then you add deeper and deeper penetration rates, lower costs to add subs, never having to pay more for talent(old contracts will be much higher than the new ones for all their content, including Howard).

Enthusiast
    04-09-2009, 09:44 PM #192
    Rel, I concur with everything you say. However, notice I never mentioned anything about Slacker or Pandora or HD Radio. In my opinion, Sirius beats them hands down and always will. period. Hell, I'm happy with recording Pink and Black Days and Tom Petty's Buried Treasure. Just for those 2 shows, I'm happy paying over my 12 bucks a month for the internet feed. My question is: Is that enough?

SiriusXM is about unique content, but are we going to see a dropoff as that unique content becomes not so unique? Sports are going to the Internet and people will access that content on their phones. Count on it. Will that have an affect on Subscribers? I say it will.... just don't know how much.

Of course my questions and concerns are 100% future based. We have fcuk all to go on right now. I was hoping to stir up some conversation about how Sirius can meet upcoming challenges, adapt and grow. I don't know... maybe it's not as sexy as talking about triangles and core positions. Guess I was hoping for a little more from this group of smart people.

Guru
    04-09-2009, 09:49 PM #193
    Relmor....doesn't it almost get annoying how obvious this all is?

Everything about Sirius is real 19 million subscribers. Satellites in the sky...penetration in the auto industry...

and they say sirius is speculative...lol...if sirius xm has all of the above going for it and is speculative...then what is everything else?

Enthusiast
    04-09-2009, 09:51 PM #194
    Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    Relmor....doesn't it almost get annoying how obvious this all is?

Everything about Sirius is real 19 million subscribers. Satellites in the sky...penetration in the auto industry...

and they say sirius is speculative...lol...if sirius xm has all of the above going for it and is speculative...then what is everything else?

That's it? That's all you got?

04-09-2009, 09:52 PM #195
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Your points are 100 percent future based. So lets focus on the future. You also make assumptions. So I will make assumptions.
    Lets assume Pandora and Slacker and every other internet radio station has to pay royalties, and this enables them to no longer be a viable free service. You now have 3 choices if you are in this industry.
    1. Go out of business.
    2. Increase advertising on the site to compensate(never happen).
    3. Charge for the service.
    So if they are charging for the service, it wont be much, or why would you do it? Slacker isnt better than Sirius. Content, or anything else. The only thing it had on it it was either cheap or free. If its not free, you might as well get sat radio.
    Then theres HD radio. If it takes sat radio as long to get going as this, it wont be a factor. As of right now, its going nowhere. Sirius will not be mandated to put HD radio in their radios. The FCC wording used is a clue here. They admitted that they were allowed to merge because they DID have competition, HD radio mentioned. Now.... If your the government, are you going to require Microsoft to make windows ask you if your sure you want this operating system, and wouldnt you like Mac instead? You dont ask your competitor to allow you to compete on their dime to boot. Crazy. Then theirs Iphone/Ipod music solution. Blackberry. Internet streaming. ONce again, coverage, content, and interruptions. Sorry, but a phone is still a phone, You have to use it. You cant listen to music and talk on the phone at the same time. Plus its so small, hard to use in a car. Who wants to risk their 300 dollar phone constantly with the challenge of providing music constantly, to systems that might need more juice. You going to being your Iphone into your living room and stream pandora through it, into your 100 watt speakers? Really? Whos doing that? No, Iphone is however an excellent music alternative generator, of which now SiriusXM is available.
    Internet in cars? Naa, more of a visual medium. You need to see to change stations, etc... Hard to hold your laptop with a full car too. Not buying it. Sorry Im not too up too date on what the NEWEST cars support, but this is soooo untouched still, its immediate threat is not a worry. Medium term, no worries. Long term... Geez who knows, even IBM could be out of business in 5 years. How does any one know so sure whats going to happen in 5 years? But we can see 1 or 2 years away. And Homer seems to think their balance sheet is ready to shine. Dont need to add more subs, its all gravey.
    Then you add deeper and deeper penetration rates, lower costs to add subs, never having to pay more for talent(old contracts will be much higher than the new ones for all their content, including Howard).
    relmor,
    Just to add...Stern will not get more than what he got last time...if anything he will get less based on the fact that the 500 million included the other 2 channels he was charged with programming and staffing. He also pays all costs associated with them I believe..out of that 500 mil.

04-09-2009, 09:52 PM #196

has the market bottomed or is this bear trap rally?

most pundits on cnbc are saying this is a bear market rally and a dangerous time to invest more money since the DJ low was around 6500 we are now at 8060 or up 24% from the bottom. houses are being bot, mortgage rates all time low, bank stocks up 50% from bottom. on the other side, unemployment and bankrupcies continue to go higher.

i just dont know. what do u guys think?

Enthusiast
    04-09-2009, 09:56 PM #197
    Quote Originally Posted by cos1000 View Post
    Who's Dennis???..... is that Beach Gambler's Name??

Yes, he let it slip on 3-18 at 5:02pm
    http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthre...1607#post21607

Mentor
    04-09-2009, 10:03 PM #198
    Quote Originally Posted by asm610 View Post
    relmor,
    Just to add...Stern will not get more than what he got last time...if anything he will get less based on the fact that the 500 million included the other 2 channels he was charged with programming and staffing. He also pays all costs associated with them I believe..out of that 500 mil.
    Reread my comment about that. You are agreeing with me. I said it funny, but I said older contracts would be higher than newer contracts(meaning Howard would make less money on the new contract).

Mentor
    04-09-2009, 10:07 PM #199
    Quote Originally Posted by otone View Post
    Rel, I concur with everything you say. However, notice I never mentioned anything about Slacker or Pandora or HD Radio. In my opinion, Sirius beats them hands down and always will. period. Hell, I'm happy with recording Pink and Black Days and Tom Petty's Buried Treasure. Just for those 2 shows, I'm happy paying over my 12 bucks a month for the internet feed. My question is: Is that enough?

SiriusXM is about unique content, but are we going to see a dropoff as that unique content becomes not so unique? Sports are going to the Internet and people will access that content on their phones. Count on it. Will that have an affect on Subscribers? I say it will.... just don't know how much.

Of course my questions and concerns are 100% future based. We have fcuk all to go on right now. I was hoping to stir up some conversation about how Sirius can meet upcoming challenges, adapt and grow. I don't know... maybe it's not as sexy as talking about triangles and core positions. Guess I was hoping for a little more from this group of smart people.
    I know. Sorry for quoting you. Actually was directing my response to others. I read you wanted a debate.

Guru
    04-09-2009, 10:12 PM #200
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIrishXM View Post
    ....overspend LIKE DRUNKEN SAILORS on an advertising budget before they know what they want to advertise for...

Relax,know it's been frustrating for the longtimers here,but as i said on March 10th SiriusXM is no longer a speculative experiment,but a viable company.So as far as I'm concerned they were just invented as a company..PATIENCE

JMHO
    You may feel like this is just an opinion...but it's the truth...

this is going to be hard to explain clearly-->its difficult to see the present as something that was once the future...today was WAY in the future in 1990 when satellite radio was invented....now is their time to shine...siri will take off this year and it will be huge....everything else is FUTURE (10 plus years).

As i have said here before, I had a 46" HDTV 7 years ago and was the shizzle with all my friends and family...and i wasn't the earliest adopter...7 YEARS AGO!!! people were watching HDTV a few years before me and it was invented in the 80's ...YET WE STILL PUSH OFF THE DIGITAL TRANSITION!!! and still many channels are not in HD...its not rocket science....transitions take $$$$...sirius is at the peak of their transition...$$$ invested...now profits start...
    Last edited by imromo24; 04-09-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Page 20 of 30 ... 101819202122 ...