Page 23 of 30 ... 132122232425 ...
    04-10-2009, 12:06 AM #221
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeboo1 View Post
    Newman I think your a little short sighted on the Wifi aspect. Satellites are one-way communicators to most consumers most only broadcast to consumers and receive from their feed. Every Siri radio currently can only receive a signal. It cant respond and send any information to the company. This is why when Hughes net first started satellite internet you had to logon with a dialup connection. The dialup would then communicate what site etc. you wanted to go to and then the Sat would send the info back down to you. This is all academic and I'm sure you know this. This was for others that don't

Wifi would allow people to respond to virtually anything! Perhaps a song press a button and Wifi tells Siri that you want it on your playlist or purchase it. Any commercial press a button Siri emails you more information regarding product. Proflowers.com commercial 30 percent off! push a button select a contact/Mom, flowers on the way billed to your CC automatically. On and on the possibilities are endless.

Wifi will hopefully help Siri if they embrace it properly.

I have previously worked in the satellite industry for many years. I personally have never seen such an opportunity as this. Consumers receive top quality connection by Sat. Who gives a damn if it takes 5-30 minutes for the info that you send back over Wifi over a spotty crappy connection? It does not affect your "receiving" end at all. BRILLIANT!

RESPOND TO ME SIRIUSBUZZ COMMUNITY!!

Wow it must be nice to be able to be a moderator to edit your posts and not have to add the edit time and date to it. Your above quote was NOT the one I responded to. I'm gone, delete my account I will never be posting here again. You pompous ass!

Guru
    04-10-2009, 12:28 AM #222

Feeling better in here

I had to leave for a while....it was too intense in here. Now it is like the "Day After" with a few survivors and mild radiation and some hair falling out.

I don't see any signs of Tripps. That is ok, I will email him.

Ray, Tony and I say, Hello Tripps!

Newman, I didn't get your email....read your PM when you get a chance.

Have a great trading day and a pleasant evening,

Bill

Mentor
    04-10-2009, 12:37 AM #223
    what the hell are you talking about Joeboo? I honestly do not know. If you think that I changed one of my posts, tell me how I changed it? As you can see, my edits show up, just like yours. The only way the edit line does not show up is if nobody has read it. I do not control if it gets added or not, the system does it automatically.

Tell me what I changed... or at least tell me what the hell you are talking about.
    Last edited by Newman; 04-10-2009 at 12:47 AM.

Mentor
    04-10-2009, 01:06 AM #224
    By the way all: Since Friday April 10th is a trading holiday and the markets are closed, this thread will remain open throughout the weekend.

Thanks, and have a great holiday!!

Enthusiast
    04-10-2009, 01:58 AM #225
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Otone, great post. Let me see if I can address some of your concerns:
    Yes, Baseball has gone iPod willy... (ok, iPhone willy). For the cost of $10 per season, you can listen to every game on your iphone. That is great. What about football? What about hockey? What about college sports? If you pay $10 for each of these, you are quickly coming to a position where you are no longer saving money. If baseball is all you care about, then you save a bundle. If you want music and all of the other sports to go along with it, Sirius XM is it.

You say that someone will start up a storefront to sell all of these things... What if Sirius WAS that storefront? I think they already are. All of these people that start heading to the internet... If they are popular enough, Sirius will try to get them to add their stream to Sirius as well.

As my final point: WiFi is not everywhere, and it will take a LONG time to get everywhere. Even then, it will be like cable: You cant get everywhere cost effectively. Those remote areas will be covered ONLY by satellite. Sirius (if they are smart) will utilize the internet and WiFi capabilities the their fullest potential, but when internet just doesnt cut it anymore or the signal is not there, they will still have their satellites beaming down. The same cannot be said for the internet.
    Newman, good post and all valid points. You know.. I only have what, only 90 posts? Believe me, I've probably deleted/cancelled 3 times as many. Many of them because it's hard to make a point when you also see the other side...

To answer your sports example (and one I keep harping on). I thought about the paying out money for all the sports issue, but if they all only charged 10 bucks for the season, that is, worst case, what 70 bucks for the year? Also, the new MLB app is on several platforms, not just the ipod and it is full featured whereas Sirius is just a listening experience. Here is my point, for the current timeframe (09 and 10): I feel Sirius will lose subs for those people who want the full experience that the new sports apps present and are consistently around 3g coverage/wireless coverage and don't care about the other content (happy with their songs or pandora, whatever). There will be some people that fit in that category.... Especially in the city. What will that number be?

Maybe that number is small, but then now we get to what is Sirius XM going to do to bring in new subscribers? If it is a recovering OEM market. Fine. If that is what they are going to count on, then fine. That's probably good for a over 1.00 SP and like Cos, I'm out at some point.

To me Sirius XM is like Web 1.0. I want to know that Sirius XM is working on SXM 2.0. Charles is supremely frustrated by this lack of transparency or lack of information from the company, as is everyone else who has been in this stock for over a year.

I'd like to continue the dialog on what is possible... what "could" Sirius XM be working on Marketing-wise, Hardware-wise?

Enthusiast
    04-10-2009, 02:21 AM #226
    Newman, I agree that right now, Sirius is a sort of "store front", but that will change as all these unique content providers decide they can make money going it on their own. Sure, MLB will take money from Sirius to broadcast over Satellite, they would be stupid not to... but they, and others won't be giving in on the internet side. Short term... 2,3,maybe 4 years, That might "not" be a problem, but unless Sirius start coming up with something really unique (content/hardware).... now.... they are going to be seriously hurting in a few years.

Nows the time to start working on locking in Content... The economy is crap, and everyone is hurting, so they should be leveraging their current position as a content leader and get some things locked in (Costs money.... I know)

Hardware: they need to come up with some cool stuff and quick. That new Kindle book reader uses the Sprint network for broadband access to download e-books. Sprint has been hurting lately, so I bet Kindle got a sweet deal. An idea maybe would be for Sirius to come up with a new piece of hardware that combines a Satellite receiver and wireless broadband with a limited access to say maybe the Sirius Web feed and all the sports sites. Satellite coverage when you need it, Internet access when you want it.

How about a total revamp of their web-sites and web based products? Something provides more interactivity with subscribers. How about allowing the subscriber to log in with a profile that allows him to get notifications when certain bands or songs are playing.... lots of ideas to get people interested in a Sirius XM community.

The question is.... what in the hell are they working on?

Mentor
    04-10-2009, 02:41 AM #227
    Top 5 Priorities for Sirius XM in 2009

I don't know if anyone might have missed this article about a month ago. I agree with many of the frustrations that Charles and many of you have. Their lack of innovation over the past 3 years or so has been rediculous. XM releases one of the best portables around, but does not install something as simple as WiFi capabilities in it? Sirius had WiFi in their portables for years.

The merger has been complete for nearly 9 months and they still have two totally seperate websites with no indication other than the occasional "Best Of" banner to show that they are merged?

The iStore has been open for HOW LONG and they are just now coming up with an iPhone app? And STILL no blackberry or any other wireless app? Other companies (3rd party developers) are coming up with apps left and right for SiriusXM... and they turn around and block the StarPlayr app? COME ON!

Perhaps I am giving Sirius XM too much credit in the previous posts. As I said before, their success and eventual future and survival depend on them adapting to changing technology, sooner rather than later. The future is right in front of us. We can all see it, and SiriusXM can see it as well. Will they make the adjustments necessary?

They need to let us know...

Enthusiast
    04-10-2009, 05:00 AM #228
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Top 5 Priorities for Sirius XM in 2009

I don't know if anyone might have missed this article about a month ago. I agree with many of the frustrations that Charles and many of you have. Their lack of innovation over the past 3 years or so has been rediculous. XM releases one of the best portables around, but does not install something as simple as WiFi capabilities in it? Sirius had WiFi in their portables for years.

The merger has been complete for nearly 9 months and they still have two totally seperate websites with no indication other than the occasional "Best Of" banner to show that they are merged?

The iStore has been open for HOW LONG and they are just now coming up with an iPhone app? And STILL no blackberry or any other wireless app? Other companies (3rd party developers) are coming up with apps left and right for SiriusXM... and they turn around and block the StarPlayr app? COME ON!

Perhaps I am giving Sirius XM too much credit in the previous posts. As I said before, their success and eventual future and survival depend on them adapting to changing technology, sooner rather than later. The future is right in front of us. We can all see it, and SiriusXM can see it as well. Will they make the adjustments necessary?

They need to let us know...
    Must admit, even the simple issue/concept of migrating into new digital distribution gateways/paths for end user access has been a failure within sirius for some reason.. what ever the reason, management has also failed to inform its retail shareholders and users.

if it was do to management foresight based on the knowledge of the further consolidation and failures within the legacy broadcasting area and the unknown related effects of the digital copy right issues that would be the type of acceptable information that one could understand and maybe accept..

Joined: Mar 2009 Location: On a cushy beach chair! Posts: 383
    04-10-2009, 07:37 AM #229
    Quote Originally Posted by bababoooie View Post
    Yes, he let it slip on 3-18 at 5:02pm
    http://siriusbuzz.com/forum/showthre...1607#post21607
    No secret here, yes my name is Dennis. Have a great weekend everyone.

04-10-2009, 08:08 AM #230
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Gambler View Post
    No secret here, yes my name is Dennis. Have a great weekend everyone.
    Beach...you have a great one too. Unfortunately, I stilll have to work for a living and may actually have to work over the weekend. Gotta do whatever it takes. Besides..each day takes me a little closer hopefully to being able to help those less fortunate than myself with god's assistance.

Page 23 of 30 ... 132122232425 ...