Page 2 of 9 1234 ...
    04-08-2009, 08:34 AM #11
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIrishXM View Post
    Definitely in favor of the death penalty,but unfortunately it doesn't work in this country because of the state legislatures are not uniform on the regs for the law so the bastards use the appeal system to extend it out forever and at a greater cost to society than to keep them in jail for life...
    Personnaly i would rather see us go back to making the convicts in this country do some work like a farm or woodwork or textile ,anything to contribute back to society and cut the prison costs...Of course we could provide perks like TV and newspapers so it is not slavery...But the main thing is violent criminals get no parole or probation period,they serve the whole term and have no contact with the free world ever when in prison,including family..they lost that right...I'm only talking about violent criminals here..1 strike your out,not three
    Love the idea of putting their a$$ back to work like a chain gang, woodwork, textile etc to offset the approx 20k annually we pay for each of them. I think they should have some contact with family only to deter them from continuing to be violent while in prison(gotta have some penalty for bad behavior). I still believe in 3 strikes and your out except for severely heinous crimes. I also think 3 misdemeanors should have a mandatory 2 year sentence. I've often wondered why we can't spend more money building prisons...early release b/c of overpopulation is a f-ing joke. Taxpayers chip in for athletic stadiums...then again they bring in revenue.

04-08-2009, 08:37 AM #12
    Quote Originally Posted by relmor2003 View Post
    Daughter is a drug runner. He thinks hes above the law. Actualy told the city of Cave Creek(or Carefree) that since they were critical of his department he would stop enforcing there area(nice man). Tons of deaths from his deputies in his jails. Lawsuits. Im from Arizona. About as New World Order a Sheriff as you get. He goes door to door to round up illegals(just be Mexican here, and you probably have to PROVE your not illegal if you run into his posse). Hes being Federally Investigated right now, as we speak.
    It's crazy how these stories never make the headlines. I have many friends in that area so I get the down low but all we ever hear about is how great it is that he has his prisoners in pink jumpsuits out in the hot sun..msm at it's best.

04-08-2009, 09:30 AM #13
    Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omlet. Perhaps the good outways the bad, but what the hell do I know.

Enthusiast
    04-08-2009, 09:32 AM #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post

My problem with organized religion is just that: Organized. It seems way too much like a huge mob outfit who takes "tithe" for protection by God.
    Actually it is optional.....what you give throught the willingness of your heart will come back to you "ten-fold"
    10% is a suggested amount, not required
    churches are non profit organizations, they have to pay the light bill somehow

not a big fan of the "tithe for protection by God"......please show some supporting evidence in the bible that says God will "protect" you only if you tithe......or will protect you more

Mentor
    04-08-2009, 09:35 AM #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jelax View Post
    Love the idea of putting their a$$ back to work like a chain gang, woodwork, textile etc to offset the approx 20k annually we pay for each of them. I think they should have some contact with family only to deter them from continuing to be violent while in prison(gotta have some penalty for bad behavior). I still believe in 3 strikes and your out except for severely heinous crimes. I also think 3 misdemeanors should have a mandatory 2 year sentence. I've often wondered why we can't spend more money building prisons...early release b/c of overpopulation is a f-ing joke. Taxpayers chip in for athletic stadiums...then again they bring in revenue.
    I'm all for building more prisons but the problem is the NIMBY's,no where to build them..(not in my back yard)...

04-08-2009, 09:38 AM #16
    Any thoughts on who wins the Masters this year. I personally think lefty might get another green jacket.

Enthusiast
    04-08-2009, 09:40 AM #17
    Fairtax......then at least the illegals will be paying for things here

Guru
    04-08-2009, 10:03 AM #18
    Quote Originally Posted by exilejeff View Post
    Actually it is optional.....what you give throught the willingness of your heart will come back to you "ten-fold"
    10% is a suggested amount, not required
    churches are non profit organizations, they have to pay the light bill somehow

not a big fan of the "tithe for protection by God"......please show some supporting evidence in the bible that says God will "protect" you only if you tithe......or will protect you more

exile i dont think churches have a hard time wit anything being they dont have to pay taxes on anything, they could flip a property make 200,000 profit and not have to pay a dime on that transaction, i would not be worried about religion's making money in the us.

Enthusiast
    04-08-2009, 10:11 AM #19
    Quote Originally Posted by trippingthespeculatingpos View Post
    exile i dont think churches have a hard time wit anything being they dont have to pay taxes on anything, they could flip a property make 200,000 profit and not have to pay a dime on that transaction, i would not be worried about religion's making money in the us.
    staff salaries
    mission trips
    printing materials (bulletins, handouts)
    events
    luncheons

it adds up

and they don't have a steady source of funds so if people stop tithing then they don't pay their bills and they don't provide as much for their church.....and last i checked churches aren't in the real estate business

Guru
    04-08-2009, 10:16 AM #20
    here is one example for you http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/d...Church_EOM.htm and im sure the mormons are not the only 1

"Other business activities are under the aegis of the Investment Properties Division of the Church. For example, it oversees Church-owned farmland in several states and Canada, although many of the agricultural activities on the land are managed by Farm Management Companies.

The Church does not publish financial data regarding its privately owned businesses. However, Church officials have indicated that profits from business operations are used to provide living allowances for the General Authorities of the Church. While business profits are not disclosed, President Gordon B. Hinckley, a member of the First Presidency, said in 1985 that the combined income from all these business interests would not keep the work of the Church going for longer than a very brief period (Hinckley, 1985, p. 50).

In addition to its wholly owned businesses, the Church has controlling interest in the chain of ZCMI department stores. Also, the Church once owned U and I Sugar Company, but many assets of that company have been sold. The company name was changed to U and I, Inc., and, more recently, to AgriNorthwest Company. Its remaining assets are held by Deseret Management Company. The Church also has a significant but noncontrolling interest in Heber J. Grant and Company, a holding company. Other investments include a varied portfolio of stocks and bonds."
    Last edited by trippingthespeculatingpos; 04-08-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Page 2 of 9 1234 ...