Page 1 of 9 123 ...
    Mentor
    04-08-2009, 01:34 AM #1

Intraday OFFTOPIC Thread: Politics, Religion, Whatever. Enter at your own risk!

Ok, so yesterday we found out that I am in favor of the death penalty and abortion. I expanded a bit on abortion, let us move into death penalty.

I like the death penalty. I don't think it is used nearly enough. Personally, I think the government limits themselves way too much when it comes to using it. Expand the use to more than just murderers.

Any person who is convicted with substantial DNA evidence, and is sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, should be put to death. If there is absolutely no way that a person will ever walk out of jail alive, then just kill him now. Granted, you have to wait for all of the appeals and what-not, but you get what I am saying.

Like that guy a few years back who pleaded guilty to like 35 murders in exchange for life without parole? DUH! He would RATHER be in jail all his life. Don't give him what he WANTS. Kill his ass. He pleaded guilty.

There is my political rant for the day, now lets move on to religion.

My problem with organized religion is just that: Organized. It seems way too much like a huge mob outfit who takes "tithe" for protection by God. Not only that, current church doctrine is that you are supposed to suffer through everything... apparently, this includes their sermons. GEEZE. I believe in a higher being, but I don't feel that you have to go to church to be religious. The Bible says something to the effect of "Wherever 2 or more people meet in my name, there I will be." That is the true meaning of God.

The current organized churches are so hypocritical. Take the Catholics. They are so adement about their negative views on homosexuality (not to mention their vows of celebacy) yet when a Catholic priest is accused of molesting an alterboy, the priest is simply moved to another parish and the event is covered up and hush money is paid. How is this right?

I have been away from church for a long time because of these views. I have recently started watching some services on TV. Yes, I know, that sounds horrible. But I have been watching someone who is rather captivating and energetic and uses real life scenarios in his sermons to make it relate directly to ME. That preacher is Joel Osteen. He practices out of Houston, TX in what used to be the Compaq center, which used to be home of the Houston Rockets. The Compaq center hosts 16000 seats, and admission is generally standing room only. This will give you an idea of how large his weekly sermons can get. Joel Osteen has make me think about religion more than anyone else ever had.

Anyone else watched Joel on TV? He is a captivating speaker. Definately worth the watch.

Discuss...

Mentor
    04-08-2009, 02:19 AM #2
    Newman,

I'm wondering if this should be a weekly thread, rather than a daily thread - so that the conversations from the previous day could flow into the next and it would be easy to quote and respond to previous messages. You have got several conversations going on at once and it doesn't have to be timely like the main intraday thread with this format. It might be frustrating to start from scratch everyday. It would be difficult for someone that missed a day to quote and respond to anything that was said before and I also expect slower days than others - depending on if we are watching paint dry or not. Just throwing thoughts out there....

We are only on day 3 of the experiment.......

Addict
    Joined: Feb 2009 Location: In the trenches taking aim Posts: 634
    04-08-2009, 02:25 AM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Demian View Post
    Newman,

I'm wondering if this should be a weekly thread, rather than a daily thread - so that the conversations from the previous day could flow into the next and it would be easy to quote and respond to previous messages. You have got several conversations going on at once and it doesn't have to be timely like the main intraday thread with this format. It might be frustrating to start from scratch everyday. It would be difficult for someone that missed a day to quote and respond to anything that was said before and I also expect slower days than others - depending on if we are watching paint dry or not. Just throwing thoughts out there....

We are only on day 3 of the experiment.......
    I had the same thought... might be interesting as a weekly thread... seven days at a shot... it would be pure chaos.... and possibly entertaining....

It's interesting that you guys are still up.... it's always pretty much the same group of us in here at night... and I always wonder who those lurking in the shadows are...... (martine and his... I mean her sister werewolves)

Mentor
    04-08-2009, 03:04 AM #4
    The whole reason that I decided to do it daily is because it is having just as much traffic as the ontopic thread. It makes it VERY difficult to read through and to me it looses it's appeal if I am having to remember where I left off (Was it page 5? Or page 7? Depending on which computer I am on and what the settings are, perhaps page 18?). I do not think that I am alone on this...

If there are any posts that you would like to bring over from the old thread, feel free to use a quote and put in the old statement.

Also, using a daily format tends to break up the battles that were started the day before... allowing for a little bit of a calmer atmosphere in such a contentious thread. Just my thoughts. Other thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Mentor
    04-08-2009, 03:21 AM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    ....using a daily format tends to break up the battles that were started the day before... allowing for a little bit of a calmer atmosphere in such a contentious thread. Just my thoughts. Other thoughts and ideas are welcome.
    The battles and the contention are the most entertaining parts.....it's what keeps me awake when watching paint dry and being lulled to sleep by the market manipulators. Calmer atmosphere? I could recite some meditations everyday....lol
    Last edited by Demian; 04-08-2009 at 03:27 AM.

Mentor
    04-08-2009, 07:57 AM #6
    Definitely in favor of the death penalty,but unfortunately it doesn't work in this country because of the state legislatures are not uniform on the regs for the law so the bastards use the appeal system to extend it out forever and at a greater cost to society than to keep them in jail for life...
    Personnaly i would rather see us go back to making the convicts in this country do some work like a farm or woodwork or textile ,anything to contribute back to society and cut the prison costs...Of course we could provide perks like TV and newspapers so it is not slavery...But the main thing is violent criminals get no parole or probation period,they serve the whole term and have no contact with the free world ever when in prison,including family..they lost that right...I'm only talking about violent criminals here..1 strike your out,not three

Enthusiast
    04-08-2009, 08:00 AM #7
    Good Morning Campers!!

Man - I leave for a few days and all hell has broke loose! 2 intraday threads (GREAT move! - I was having a meltdown trying to garner the good bits of info between the battles!) Brandon is somehow in doo doo - haven't been able to clearly understand this one BUT it will be a REAL shame if he does not add his input here! His insight and analysis is truely enlightening and informative! Don't go Brandon!!!

And - where the hell is the dog when we need him? Bite the ass of the hounds that are bugging Brandon!!

And then there is the paint drying - Ho hum!!

Think positive guys!!

04-08-2009, 08:05 AM #8
    you should check out Sheriff Joe Arpaio for Maricopa County in Arizona.
    love him or hate him he is consistent in his ways.

Mentor
    04-08-2009, 08:21 AM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bth54 View Post
    you should check out Sheriff Joe Arpaio for Maricopa County in Arizona.
    love him or hate him he is consistent in his ways.
    Daughter is a drug runner. He thinks hes above the law. Actualy told the city of Cave Creek(or Carefree) that since they were critical of his department he would stop enforcing there area(nice man). Tons of deaths from his deputies in his jails. Lawsuits. Im from Arizona. About as New World Order a Sheriff as you get. He goes door to door to round up illegals(just be Mexican here, and you probably have to PROVE your not illegal if you run into his posse). Hes being Federally Investigated right now, as we speak.

Guru
    04-08-2009, 08:31 AM #10
    the intraday (versus intraweek) offtopic does a nice job of breaking the flow on madness

Page 1 of 9 123 ...